I need a new bike!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Eeek, I need a new bike. About 4 years ago I bought a folding Raleigh bike and it was round the £200 mark, it's been okay, I've had it serviced a few times, which isn't cheap, but now I'm getting really sick of it. It needs servicing again 'cause the gears aren't shifting cleanly, it's rattling, the controls on handlebars are really stiff, but the thing I dislike about having a folding bike is the tiny wheels, it's so bliddy slow and horrible when you're trying to ride the thing uphill. Looking out for a folding mountain bike, I came across just the thing in Argos with good reviews and costing under £100, it said it was unisex which is perfect, but reading the reviews more carefully it seems that it would only really be suitable for someone 5ft 8 or more, as people of 5ft 6 were saying that their feet didn't touch the floor on it so they had to return it...I'm only 5ft 4, so pointless me ordering it. I've seen something in Halfords which looks promising cause it has 24 inch wheels, so runs as well as a normal sized bike, but it's about £100 out of my price bracket, last year they were doing a trade in deal which would have been great as my old bike would have qualified, however they aren't doing it any more, so I have the problem of trying to dispose of my old bike, which is too good to just "bin"
We have a number of dedicated bike shops in our town, however, they are ALL really expensive when it comes to folding bikes, and the people in there are really snotty especially if you are looking for something reasonably priced, it's all very well telling people that a cheap bike is a false ecomony, but if you haven't got the money for an expensive one, you haven't got the money!

Has anyone got any ideas as to where I can get myself a decent folding bike that doesn't cost the earth? I don't want second hand. My catalogue only sells folding bikes with the tiny wheels, which I don't want 'cause they're not pleasant to ride. I'm tempted to give the Argos one a go, however,as with Argos you can't go into the store, look at it, sit on it etc, you have to order it blindly and then if it's no good have the hassle of trying to return it!

I don't really want to spend the best part of £40 to get my current bike serviced again, but that's probably what I'll end up having to do!

I am tempted by the QVC folding electric bike, but virtually no info about it on the website.

Q are trying to get more info for me.

It seems a very good price (they also have another one about £300 more, that has loads of info about it).

They are both free PP so I am tempted, could return free if no good.

I have a Brompton folder, currently costs about twice the price of the Q electric. I live at the bottom of a very steep hill, so could do with the electric assistance to get up it.

Yes, the electric type ones do tempt me to stretch my credit card a bit further or get a loan, however, having such a small space in which to store my bike, narrow hallway, I think it might be a bit bulky for me. But If space isn't an issue, and you can afford one...I'd say go for it!

If you want to sell your current bike when you replace it, try Facebook for sale pages for your area. I have sold things on my local one. I have also used Freecycle to giveaway items, though I have heard that some people get stuff off it and then sell them on eBay etc

Got a new bike at last! OH decided that I may as well not bother restricting myself to a folding bike since, I hardly ever fold up the folding bike I have anyway, So that made the process a lot easier, after not being able to find the 24 inch wheeled folding model for sale anywhere despite being advertised online. Saw a likely candidate in the catalogue, then thought long and hard about waiting for another ginormous parcel to be delivered, then having to try and construct most of the damned thing myself probably in the pouring rain. Decided to spend out and buy a decent bike, but walking past the bike shop yesterday I noticed a nearly new mountain bike for sale for a mere £80, so snapped it up...It's great and goes much faster than the old one, and I can actually ride it up hills and not have to get up and push at the slightest incline. After a lengthy ride to Lidl and back (far side of town) I've realised that it's my poor knees now, rather than the bike, I'm totally knackered, but on the bright side I came back with a bottle of Cava, 2 packs of spaghetti, a pack of parmesan cheese, and a hi viz waistcoat (for cycling purposes) for around £8! Also took a detour to brighton Marina to look at the outlet shops, awful found nothing whatsoever...but good exercise anyway!

I am seriously considering buying the cheaper of the QVC electric bikes.

Cava for less than £4!! But I didn't get chance to get there, too busy pruning trees this weekend.

Well done on getting a good bargain price for your bike.

If you wait long enough as my photo slowly changes, you will see a photo of me on my bike ;)

It's always been tricky with me and bikes, although we own our flat, the small hallway downstairs belongs to the flat downstairs as well, we're joint freeholders. We've seen many changes of occupants of the downstairs flat and none of them bar one minded whatsover at there being a bike in the hallway. Unfortunately the man who did object was obnoxious, and at the time the bike I had was a really small folding one, which I folded into a small bag when not in use. He reckoned it was a fire hazard, even though I politely pointed out that at least he had the luxury of a back door to escape from if necessary and a window to climb out of at street level, plus the fact in no way, shape or form did this bike prevent anyone getting to the main front door, OH not being one to rock the boat insisted that I tether it outside - it was stolen within the fortnight! Eventually he moved on, and I approached the new owners who said of course we don't mind and seemed surpised that I even bothered to ask, and the subsequent (current) owners also said they had no problem whatsover, but politely asked whether they could put it outside whilst they had some heavy bits of furniture delivered, which of course I agreed to. In the past the when I have kept a bike outside if it wasn't stolen, it was spoiled by the weather. I tried buying those special cycle covers, but once you put a lock on the bike to attatch it to anything, it doesn't sit right. OH does moan a bit, and says why do you need a bliddy bike, you only work down the road, but seriously, that extra 20 minutes in bed in the morning is a Godsend, and not only that we're allowed to store our bikes in the warehouse, so we can use the back entrance at work, which is also a bit of a timesaver. .....Obviously, they cost beggar all to run, and save a fortune in bus and cab fares, and most of all, I enjoy cycling!

Latest posts

Back