The Body Shop Disappearing?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

donna255

ShoppingTelly Supporter
Seems L'Oreal have put The Body Shop up for sale.

Now The Body Shop Foundation set up by Anita and her husband was closed down late last year. This with the company for sale makes it sound like it could soon be disappearing altogether. So if any products you love, better stock up now.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm by no means a regular customer, but I do really love their Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. Brilliant for my sensitive scalp, I used it exclusively for years, and now use it every second or third wash (my scalp would probably prefer that I used it more regularly, but I get bored!) I wouldn't be surprised if they were struggling, and I don't know how L'Oreal thought the news of their acquisition would play out with consumers who shopped there for ethical reasons. Used to love going in there on a Saturday when I was at school. We all had those colourful wooden hairbrushes, and used to take our PE kit to school in one of their cloth bags (that or a River Island carrier bag. We only used to go in there to ask for carrier bags! :grin:) We'd spend ages looking at everything and then leave with a lip balm or one of those animal soaps. :)

Their Hemp hand cream is very good stuff! I may need to stock up on a couple of tubes.
So many memories; White Musk. Bath Pearls. Perfume Oils.
As a young woman, amongst many other things, I used their seaweed & birch shampoo, at the time it was the only thing that didn't set my eczema off.
All a bit sad really, another thing about to disappear. RIP Anita, you were years ahead of your time.

The Body shop was a staple for me in my teens and 20's. From Brighton, so remember the first ever shop, and used to buy strawberry scented bath foam, and various other fruity scented soaps and the like. Then came the White Musk and Dewberry stage in the 80's, it seemed to be a rite of passage for us girls in those days! Haven't bought anything from the Body Shop for years now, so wouldn't miss them on a personal level, BUT so sad to see yet another high street name disappear!

I remember when you could buy their bath oil and then the sales staff would add in the lavender oil from a container which had a tap on the front of it similar to a small tea urn. I`m going back quite a number of years but oh by golly that bath oil was the real deal for any lavender lovers.

I was having a chat with an SA(now in House of Fraser), who worked in Lush for over 5 years. He was saying word is Lush are interested in buying The Body Shop. Now that would be fantastic, many of the early products sold in TBS created by Mark. The shampoos, food creams etc.

I can see that Lush and The Body Shop share core beliefs & target market, but Lush have expanded previously and it ended badly - they were originally "Cosmetics to Go", weren't they, which went bust? And then they had another project much later on, called something like "B", which sold a more expensive range of stuff - that also seemed to disappear pretty quickly. I think they would be wary of taking on TBS as it would be such a massive expansion.

They indeed where Cosmetics To Go which I loved. But that was in the days before online late 80s very early 90s, only had one shop in Poole, so it was all catalogue mail order via post. Oh and that is where Steam Cream first appeared.

The B range was perfume only and now incorporated into Lush under Gorilla Perfumes. They only had one place they sold the Too Beautiful again. It was very difficult to buy their stuff then. They are quite big in the US now as Lush, I read their name popping up loads on the US forums.

Oh no ... I love the body shop and they have some brill bargains ...hope whoever takes over does it justice and keeps prices reasonable too ..:mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back