I W hard sell after purchase.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Turandot

Registered Shopper
After many years of no purchases I bought a couple of pairs of trousers which were OK and I kept.Thought no more about it.

Then I started getting the follow up calls .Several automated thank you for your purchase, some at 7am .OK I can ignore those .

Last Friday I had a call from someone asking to send me more offers from their partners.I was waiting for an important call which I made clear and she said fine she would leave it .

Today I had the same call and I patiently listened then asked her if I had to sign up to anything. Free seeds were mentioned i think .Its one of those things where you are signed up if you don't cancel within 3weeks it goes to a years membership and they asked me to agree to postage for the offers.

I explained I had a lot going on at the moment and would rather not just another thing to remember to do .She said I could stick the reminder on my fridge .

I got assertive and said no thanks .

I remember a previous thread where someone had complained about the after sell.It really puts me off buying anything else .I hate pressure selling and this made me mad.
Rant over.

Last edited:
That's harassment. God help some poor old duck who gets that treatment after deciding to buy something off IW.

The words you need to use are, This Is A Firm Refusa, there was a documentary with secret filming about companies in the UK this works. If you say sorry I busy etc that gives them the green light to phone you back tomorrow, next week, six months etc. But using the words in bold means F*ck off and do not phone me again in polite terms and a final No from you.

If after saying this they do keep phoning then you contact the Telephone Preference people and report IW and they can be fined.

I know how you feel, I've never had that with IW but years ago I placed an order with QVC that came "direct from the supplier" then all of a sudden I was getting bombarded with cold calls, so much so I had to change my number. Like I say I've never had this from IW but as soon as they start to speak firmly tell them that if this continues you'll make an official complaint, then sharply put the phone down. Some people would feel intimidated and listen to their whole spiel because they feel it's rude to put the phone down, don't because remember, you never asked them to call.

I never watch IW long enough to buy anything. I don't think they have one presenter that I could watch for more than a few mins. I am just surprised that they are still on air.

The words you need to use are, This Is A Firm Refusa, there was a documentary with secret filming about companies in the UK this works. If you say sorry I busy etc that gives them the green light to phone you back tomorrow, next week, six months etc. But using the words in bold means F*ck off and do not phone me again in polite terms and a final No from you.

If after saying this they do keep phoning then you contact the Telephone Preference people and report IW and they can be fined.

That's what I did eventually when it became clear she was repeating her script.Hopefully that's the end of it.

I never watch IW long enough to buy anything. I don't think they have one presenter that I could watch for more than a few mins. I am just surprised that they are still on air.

Oh yes there's no doubt about it the presenters, like QVC, are abysmal but I suppose they're still on air because like me, I don't let any presenter influence my buying in the slightest, a presenter will never convince me to buy a product, ever, so I suppose Ideal World is still going because their customers can see past the ridiculous spiel of their presenters, and just buy what they want if they want it, and don't if they don't. My recent purchase was the Kenwood Mixer with free Kenwood blender worth £129, the only other place they had this new model released only a couple of weeks ago, was John Lewis, same price but without the free blender, or flexi-pay. It just arrived this morning after two days, which with the free returns is probably why they're still going, no credit to the presenters though.

Oh yes there's no doubt about it the presenters, like QVC, are abysmal but I suppose they're still on air because like me, I don't let any presenter influence my buying in the slightest, a presenter will never convince me to buy a product, ever, so I suppose Ideal World is still going because their customers can see past the ridiculous spiel of their presenters, and just buy what they want if they want it, and don't if they don't. My recent purchase was the Kenwood Mixer with free Kenwood blender worth £129, the only other place they had this new model released only a couple of weeks ago, was John Lewis, same price but without the free blender, or flexi-pay. It just arrived this morning after two days, which with the free returns is probably why they're still going, no credit to the presenters though.

I was very happy with my purchases .I just don't like the hard sell.i appreciate its years since I purchased so maybe they are showering me with offers ,but it doesn't work with me.I just want to be left alone to choose what and when I buy.

Some of the deals are good and the postage is much better than Qs.

I know how you feel, I've never had that with IW but years ago I placed an order with QVC that came "direct from the supplier" then all of a sudden I was getting bombarded with cold calls, so much so I had to change my number. Like I say I've never had this from IW but as soon as they start to speak firmly tell them that if this continues you'll make an official complaint, then sharply put the phone down. Some people would feel intimidated and listen to their whole spiel because they feel it's rude to put the phone down, don't because remember, you never asked them to call.

That's what you need to remember isn't it-you never asked them to call.Whether they knock at the door or bother you on the phone -if you don't want what they are peddling tell them you are not interested(or words of your choice!!) and hang up.If they keep bothering you - as already suggested ,report them.I understand it is not easy for some to put the phone down . Just give a firm "No thank you.Not interested .Good bye" Done without being rude.

I had a cable guy round many years ago trying to hard sell cable tv / internet which we didn't want at the time.He actually put his foot in the door when he saw his spiel wasn't getting him anywhere.I asked him to remove his foot as the door was about to be shut. He carried on talking so I shut the door.The cheeky so and so luckily had good reflexes.

I agree with the above post, what I do when they don't take ... sorry not interested for an answer ... I put the phone to one side and leave them talking to themselves, it is their money they are wasting, and they don't tend to ring back...

i bought some williams washstuff as i had a £10 voucher they sent and i keep getting calls now , i have blocked the number, but i noticed in my account the contacts boxes are all ticked, so go into your account and update contact settings, calls should then stop

Latest posts

Back