yabba yabba yabba yabba

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I've posted before about presenters discussing their lives et al rather than give us the details of the products that are airing. Some viewers love it, some don't. I don't.

To give credence to my point, I've just viewed a video on the Q website for a Join dress, item 165223. Its 5.39 seconds long, BUT the dress warranted less than 30 seconds of air time, the rest was a discussion on Greek islands that Chloe has visited or would love to visit, and the fear of flying and courses that could be taken. The dress was walking up and down the catwalk whilst this discussion was going on, and the 5.39 seconds was soon over, and I knew bugger all about it - but I did learn a lot about the Greek Islands !

This constant on air nattering is ok to a point, but save the details for the coffee room off air. The viewer wants information, not a travelogue of wishes by the presenter !

Well said! Never any relevant information to aid a purchase decision. A shop assistant behaving like this would be collecting a P45 in short order!

It is more noteworthy these days when measurements etc are given at all, let alone in a timely manner...

Maybe just an observation but some Presenters seem to witter on even more these days with silly small talk!
Wonder if there told to do this, can't think why? :mysmilie_7:

They are turning to hairdressers(sorry hairdressers but we have come across this so many times), going on holiday,going out this weekend syndrom. You sit there and its endless what are you doing socially and what they are doing too.

Fortunately my hairdresser has passed that stage a few years back.

They are turning to hairdressers(sorry hairdressers but we have come across this so many times), going on holiday,going out this weekend syndrom. You sit there and its endless what are you doing socially and what they are doing too.

Mine talk about soaps, but always advise on products if your hair needs it. They told me Tigi conditioner was good, and I could get it from B&M. The owner has said many times the more expensive products are a lot better for your hair.

Lol . .......Mine always asks if I've any holidays booked .As I'm not an avid goer awayer I'd rather she didnt ask.

Current one talks about Love Island quite a lot.

But I agree the nattering is getting worse and I think its because they have more permenant stylists on air now ,not the designers ,so there is an over familiarity going on.

Some of the designers wouldn't stand for it and want to get on with selling their clothes. I have seen Renee become quite exasperated when there is too much chat.

Well I've decided to sent the main part of my post to the Q customer care team. Will let you know what response I get. Its all very well chanking away on tv, but when that segment is used for the video presentation on their website, its not good marketing.

Mine is a grumpy old sod! You wouldn't think she was charging an arm and a leg for me to sit terrified to open my mouth! BUT she one of a rare breed who can tame my hair so I put up with it. It's not just me, a colleague has the same feelings.

The video bit bugs the hell out of me as well. Often I look to see a piece of jewellery only to have 2 minutes of someone's face rabbiting about all and sundry. The worst of the whole lot was one I looked at the other night and the bleeding thing went over to AY promoting a beauty item in the middle of jewellery video!

Mind you IW has got to be the worst as often the item isn't even on the video.

Mostly I struggle with small talk. I find it uncomfortable. I like to talk, but often talk about politics, religion, philosophy and relationships... Mainly it evolves over time as I get to know my hairdresser. But in the early days I take refuge in magazines, and repel any attempts to talk about soaps and reality TV in particular.

I too do not relish small talk and prefer to be quiet rather than 'bore' people with the topics I am interested in.I have had to learn to do this over time . However,it would appear that the majority of presenters feel we all wish to know their life stories,holiday plans,family affairs etc etc.Well most of us don't give a flying fig about them.All that concerns us are the goods on offer ,and whether we wish to purchase said goods.

Yes I struggle with small talk too, I like to get in, say it how it is, and get out. :mysmilie_3: :mysmilie_17:

"Off on holiday this year ?"
No

"Doing anything special at the weekend?"
Sadly not

"Me and my partner are off to Malaga in a few weeks time"
Really

"Yeah, we're taking the kids, they love it, on the beach, and my little one we have to watch cos she loves to eat the sand, and the last time we took her on the beach we had to rush her to A & E where we waited for ever to be seen, but a nice doctor washed all her mouth out and checked her over, and gave her the all clear so we were really relieved. Did I tell you about the time my partner fell and hit his head in the swimming pool last year in Fuengarola ""
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Want any hair spray?

"Off on holiday this year ?"
No

"Doing anything special at the weekend?"
Sadly not

"Me and my partner are off to Malaga in a few weeks time"
Really

"Yeah, we're taking the kids, they love it, on the beach, and my little one we have to watch cos she loves to eat the sand, and the last time we took her on the beach we had to rush her to A & E where we waited for ever to be seen, but a nice doctor washed all her mouth out and checked her over, and gave her the all clear so we were really relieved. Did I tell you about the time my partner fell and hit his head in the swimming pool last year in Fuengarola ""
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Want any hair spray?

Sounds like you had a great time.

Sounds like you had a great time.

Lol
This is almost a carbon copy of me at the hairdressers.

Are you going out tonight?

No I just like to keep my hair looking good.

I know they are taught to be sociable in college but its too much.

At least chattering presenters can be switched off.

I've posted before about presenters discussing their lives et al rather than give us the details of the products that are airing. Some viewers love it, some don't. I don't.

To give credence to my point, I've just viewed a video on the Q website for a Join dress, item 165223. Its 5.39 seconds long, BUT the dress warranted less than 30 seconds of air time, the rest was a discussion on Greek islands that Chloe has visited or would love to visit, and the fear of flying and courses that could be taken. The dress was walking up and down the catwalk whilst this discussion was going on, and the 5.39 seconds was soon over, and I knew bugger all about it - but I did learn a lot about the Greek Islands !

This constant on air nattering is ok to a point, but save the details for the coffee room off air. The viewer wants information, not a travelogue of wishes by the presenter !

I watched the video (thanks for the number) and you are so right, it was a chit chat about Athens and other parts of Greece and very little about the dresses . :doh:

I do not watch much QVC now. I do watch the fashion hours and even if I like some of the designs , I do not like their prices and when I add the P&P , I find they are not such bargain prices after all :down:.

I am also sick of them ( esp Catherine Huntley every time she is on ) bragging about QVC being the oldest shopping channel and their buying power :yawn:.

They do have the buying power:nod: but they ought to bargain better with sellers / vendors , emphasizing how they can shift the sellers' products , more in a day than what they can in a year.

Just look how they sold over 100, 000 units of Elemis in 24 hrs! :mysmilie_466:

Like Jo Fairley (good friend of Liz Earle ) said in an article, she sold "more copies of The Anti-Ageing Beauty Bible in an hour on QVC than in weeks on the shelves of bookshops, or even Amazon — most of them to a whole new readership."

QVC has great bargaining power, but why not share the huge profit they make with us, the customers ??:mysmilie_503:

They can start by reasonable P&Ps, and no extra cost for same item number ( different sizes or colour etc) or have a capped postage system:nod:.

The only good thing going for QVC is their permission that we can use their goods for 30 days.:mysmilie_47:

This, unfortunately is no good news for the people who get these used items as "new" :devil:.

Instead of chit chatting, they ought to give us the measurements of items, rather than asking us to check it on the web:wonder:

Brissles, I'm glad you raised this issue. Last week I had to switch over as I was so fed up (and bored) listening to the over the top, inane, chatter between Pipa Gordon and the other girl with the long black hair, can't recall her name as I type - she's attractive and worked on the cruise ships, but the chat between the 2 of them got under my skin, Pipa I usually like, but I've noticed with some of these women that appear to almost shout because their high on happiness, this is something that happens when you're very happy with your lot in life, your man the income etc., you are too excited in your talk, i've noticed it way too much with Alison Keenan and a couple of the others. The only presenter who is the same now as the very first time she appeared on air is Jilly, she's not changed at all - the others get on my wick to the point that I forget what they're selling and have to switch over - it happened again on a 4 sec vid I watched this morning, I feel like writing to Q telling them we're not interested in their private time - well I'm certainly not.

I couldn't agree more. This is one of the reasons that I rarely watch Q, not even for a laugh, like I used to. The endless wittering about what they've got at home, can't live without, what their friends & family have bought, what they've done and where they've been (with the odd book flogging chucked into the mix) is so blurdy boring and self-indulgent. What I want before I buy anything is information about the product, not a long string of superlatives that mean diddly-squat or a long and boring story about what a presenter's friend's second cousin once removed did last week. An occasional aside is one thing, but these long, turgid rigmaroles are something else and my eyes glaze over by about the second word. Gawd, and Kathy T's brother's wedding is still to come - that should ensure a fund of stories until about 2025 at least.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back