QVC colour naming strikes again!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
Pipa and stylist doing a Coco Bianco fashion hour... They've just presented a top... One colour labelled accurately as black brown. Navy white is called black white... Red blue is called black blue. What is WRONG with the people setting up products on their system?!?!?

I don't understand this either!

Was watching a fashion hour, can't remember which one but simple colours like Red, Blue and Green had strange names? As a customer I find this quite off putting! Must be a certain code or manual that they have to adhere too!!!

Don't get me started on Lola Rose????? :mysmilie_13::mysmilie_13::mysmilie_13:

All the manufacturers will have their own name or code for their colour options - Kim & Co is a good example because for the most part QVC uses her colour names and so a garment bought in the 90s called "Aubergine" will match another item also called Aubergine. I imagine Kim's range carries some clout with the Q management, so even though she giggles like a nervous school girl, she's red hot on item numbers and size measurements so maybe they abide by her shade names. Michele Hope's the same. But newer ranges seem to have no say in their product names.

My dad was slightly colour-blind - unable to tell blues/purples/browns - so we didn't let him buy paint and wall paper on his own. But he also didn't have a career that involved colours! I wince every time the presenter passes the buck saying "just ask Liverpool" the poor call centre folk often have less info than we see on the website. The presenters should query this stuff when they prepare for the hour...having an awkward one-way conversation with the floor staff on air is so unprofessional and frustrating if your option sells out while you wait for clarification.

The nonsense with the Peony daffodils was awful, and because it wasn't the most expensive item, many buyers opted to keep the item even though it wasn't what they ordered.

Rant over! :mysmilie_51:

All the manufacturers will have their own name or code for their colour options - Kim & Co is a good example because for the most part QVC uses her colour names and so a garment bought in the 90s called "Aubergine" will match another item also called Aubergine. I imagine Kim's range carries some clout with the Q management, so even though she giggles like a nervous school girl, she's red hot on item numbers and size measurements so maybe they abide by her shade names. Michele Hope's the same. But newer ranges seem to have no say in their product names.

My dad was slightly colour-blind - unable to tell blues/purples/browns - so we didn't let him buy paint and wall paper on his own. But he also didn't have a career that involved colours! I wince every time the presenter passes the buck saying "just ask Liverpool" the poor call centre folk often have less info than we see on the website. The presenters should query this stuff when they prepare for the hour...having an awkward one-way conversation with the floor staff on air is so unprofessional and frustrating if your option sells out while you wait for clarification.

The nonsense with the Peony daffodils was awful, and because it wasn't the most expensive item, many buyers opted to keep the item even though it wasn't what they ordered.

Rant over! :mysmilie_51:

Word! You have highlighted two bugbears of mine! Lack of presenter preparation with the presenter dropping Liverpool in it - it's so unfair... And the discourtesy to the paying customer and the brands caused by random arbitrary colour naming. The absence of any professional pride in doing the job properly... Still by buying we let them get away with it. But we can own up to that more easily if they would take responsibility for behaving like professionals and not shirking the job.

I can imagine Kim and Michele exhibiting their steely streak if QVC even suggest a different name. Both these brands' customer proposition involves being able to add to your wardrobe based on colours which will be reliably the same over the years.

Some brands, like Lola Rose don't seem to have any influence at all. Given how popular the range is on QVC, it can only be that Nicki is too blummin' nice to kick up a fuss.

How hard can it be to use the assigned colour names for products that they are presenting? Even have labels if necessary.No_Of course Q has to come up with their own stupid names to mix up on air.Sheer incompetence which carries on into the warehouse in many cases it would seem.e.g Kipling bag fiasco.

I agree, I only channel hop for seconds at a time but just turned on to hear them debating pink, blue and grey shoes, but no they're not called pink, blue and grey, they're called sand, topaz and ash but if that's not bad enough, they don't even know which is which. :mysmilie_15:

Got to say though what on earth has had happened to Pippa/Pipa? Same screeching voice, but with a bit of Claire Sutton thrown in all girly and ditzy, she's so cocky and a mile away from the Pippa/Pipa I remember. Right that's it, I've lasted thirty seconds (my own personal best) and over the TV goes.

They had a production meeting 5 minutes before the show went on air. The producer held up each item and said: "So what are we calling this?" Unfortunately everyone in the room was colourblind.

Sounds like Helen Keller would have done a better job.

I agree, I only channel hop for seconds at a time but just turned on to hear them debating pink, blue and grey shoes, but no they're not called pink, blue and grey, they're called sand, topaz and ash but if that's not bad enough, they don't even know which is which. :mysmilie_15:

Got to say though what on earth has had happened to Pippa/Pipa? Same screeching voice, but with a bit of Claire Sutton thrown in all girly and ditzy, she's so cocky and a mile away from the Pippa/Pipa I remember. Right that's it, I've lasted thirty seconds (my own personal best) and over the TV goes.

I really don't know how she's forged a career as a presenter. She tries too hard to be cool and funky and individual. You think she'd feel a bit more at home in her own skin at her age. She must be about 50! Nothing wrong with being 50 of course but she doesn't need to do all that stuff she does. If she piped down a bit and just spoke her truth quietly she'd be fine. As it stand she come across like a demented elf on speed!

I agree with all the above.

There is clearly no preparation before air time on the products they're offering, and clearly rely on the note cards they read from. Surely they should double check the item colours on their cards with the Gallery or whoever's in charge BEFORE they face the cameras. Colour confusion is beyond a joke.

The Presenters should also stop the nonsense of saying they want to order a product before it sells out. If its truly the first time of seeing it in the studio, then that proves no prep work has been done beforehand, because there's no reason why they couldn't order the item before their show begins. Perhaps they just saunter into QVC house, take their hair out of curlers, then straight in front of the cameras, because it certainly seems that way.

It all just smacks of an unprofessional attitude.Everyone who has a job has to prepare themselves for the day ahead.Why not Q presenters?Sauntering along chit chatting is all very well if presenting 'Loose Women'for example .These however are supposed to be glorified shop assistants who know their products,present them well,and present themselves well.The ridiculous way presenters say they are going to order before an item sells out is a sales ploy.It should never be said as it does imply there has been no chance to see or order items or indeed prepare before going to air. All in all increasingly unprofessional compaired to how it once was.Most of this applies to IW too.

Last edited:
Don't start me on the lack of preperation (part of the reason I dislike Jk so much).

Say all you like about the male presenters but I think they are much much better than the females, I wonder is this because they feel the need to prepare as they are presenting items for customers outside their gender.

Unfortunately I think any pre show time is now spent twatting to their groupies.

Surely Joex and Rebeccax inbetween cutting and pasting on FB could stick a few labels on the items!

I've a feeling that it's QVC's policy to deliberately change the product colours on occasion to prevent us all going out to find the same item on other websites.
I remember when Jemma Kidd was on a few years back, there was a lot of confusion over the names of one of her eyeshadow palettes and she was lamenting about QVC labelling them something different, given the effort her team had put into coming up with their names in the first place (e.g. it was like 'is this the olive option, or is it the bronze or are we calling it brown', when the original name was Jungle Haze or something). Even Julia Roberts was exasperated and said 'I just don't know why we change the names'.
Albeit you would think a bit of prep beforehand would have sorted it out.

It surely cannot be that difficult to colour name items! That's why I suggested there maybe a Code Manual they have to adhere too and if they don't then at times it's a shambles! :mysmilie_7:

Maybe they should have Kelly Hoppen design their ENTIRE fashion range. She could call it "50 Shades of Grey" (with a subtle honeycomb weave).

Maybe KH's insistence on taupe is to protect herself from the bizarre naming conventions of QVC's computer system and the geniuses inputting information into it?

It's one thing to say 'mustard' instead of yellow, or 'rose' instead of pink, but when you hear them having to say, "We're calling this grey but it's actually green", it gets totally ridiculous and is completely illogical to me.

There was a Kipling colour called 'sky grey' or something similar a couple of years ago, every time it was on air they had to correct themselves as it wasn't actually grey...

It's one thing to say 'mustard' instead of yellow, or 'rose' instead of pink, but when you hear them having to say, "We're calling this grey but it's actually green", it gets totally ridiculous and is completely illogical to me.

There was a Kipling colour called 'sky grey' or something similar a couple of years ago, every time it was on air they had to correct themselves as it wasn't actually grey...

To be fair, sometimes the colours are directly taken from Pantone colours, which often defy the evidence of your own eyes... So a lot of it is QVC bungling, but some of it is the brand choosing to use an official colour name (maybe it is contractual with Pantone or whichever other colour company they have the shade from).

Latest posts

Back