Am I alone ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
In getting fed up with every fashion range being modelled with trousers ? apart from the odd frock or two, everything else is modelled worn with leggings or trousers of every description from palazzo pants to tight drainpipes.

I'm retired so for walking the dog and lounging, I do wear trousers/leggings, but is this now the wear for the working majority ? as I hardly, if ever wore them to work. It was skirts, dresses, suits etc. But Q cannot seem to tear themselves away from them, and where I live, no-one wears them with killer heels. Its become very boring.

(I've noticed Carla on the Bob Mackie hour, is in need of a longer cover up, in her tight leggings and heels !)

Usually wear a dress to work but I do wear jeans a lot out of work. Leggings MUST be worn with a top that covers the crotch IMO - I've seen some pretty offensive examples of leggings and short tops out in the street where I live :mysmilie_11:

CC

I wear dresses for work. I think it looks smarter, especially with a nice jacket. Some people wear jeans and jumpers but personally I like to feel a bit more dressed up for work.

Up until about 10 years ago it was forbidden to wear trousers where I work. However something happened which changed the policy to smart trouser suits. Since then we have had a lot of younger new starters and they dress very casually just stopping at jeans which are still a total no no.

During the winter I often wear a dress but only if I can wear opaque tights as I hate my legs.

Having worked so long with a strict dress code I find it very hard to dress casually with confidence, especially since it's pretty much only the weekend shop etc where I get to dress casual but smartish. At home it's usually old togs to cook/clean in.

Even worse is that they use tall models and the trousers stop a couple of inches above the shoes. I know the presenters describe them as 'ankle-length' but to me they just look too short. My Mum would have said they were at half-mast !

I agree about the tops not always covering the camel-toe area, not a good look.

One thing i often notice about people wearing leggings is the fact they`re wearing too small a size. The fabric is stretched to its max and looks white in places where the flesh shows through, usually on the backside or thigh area. I understand people wanting to dress for comfort but if you must wear leggings then at least wear the right size and with a top long enough to cover bums and bellies not to mention camel toes.
When I started my last job working in a Sally Army hostel we had to wear black skirts which were on or below the knee and blouses which we were given and no bare legs either. As time went on they said we could wear black trousers but we still had to wear the uniform blouses. Black jeans or chinos were outlawed, as were cropped trousers. By the time I left 6 years ago and the hostel was taken over by an outside agency, they said the staff could wear what the hell they wanted and consequently jeans became standard work wear for most of them. I recently caught up with a friend who still works there and her jeans had holes where the knees should be and she looked scruffier than some of the homeless people I once worked with. My old Captain and his wife would be turning puce at the sight lol !

It really is a sign of the times. Whenever I meet up with friends for lunch/dinner, I'm always told "how nice" I look. I tend to wear dresses/long skirts on these occasions, which for me is a chance to 'dress up' after wearing dog walking clothes and comfy house clothes.

Casual and 'comfy' are the order of the day for nearly all occasions. Even at weddings I've seen evening guests turn up in jeans and T shirts (men), and I swear to God that a lot of the health issues for patients in hospitals is down to the scruffy gear that's worn by visitors at the bedside. Is this because 'pride' in how we look has all but gone ? Every generation seems to dumb down. My Grandfather and Dad always wore a shirt and tie for a Sunday lunchtime drink at the pub (Granddad also wore a trilby), then my husband would wear sweater and chinos, my nephews wear T shirts and torn jeans. I wonder what level we'll get to next !

Latest posts

Back