Pink under tone foundations in short supply.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

sleepydove

Registered Shopper
I am just wondering why all the make up brands have lots of yellow based foundations but hardly any pink based.
Yesterday's tarte TSV was, as usual, a hit and miss affair with the shades so eventually went for the medium honey as most of them seemed to have yellow under tones.
The kit arrived today (superfast Hermes delivery) and the foundation is too yellow and I dont think the pale jaundice look is particularly flattering.
I also ordered the Radiance from the Rainforest 6 piece kit and as this has more choice of shades I decided to try light neutral.I googled tarte foundation shades and then tried to match the names on Q's website to the tarte names and guess what they are different!
I tweeted Debbie Flint and she said that there was more information on the website regarding shades and to watch the video back to see Leigh go through the shades again.This I did and Leigh was calling some by the Tarte name and some by QVC's name so I ended more confused!
I then had a tweet from Brian at QVC who kindly sent me a photo of the shades but they were for the Amazonian Clay foundation not the Rain Forest foundation.
http://prntscr.com/f0bt9v
So QVC have a photo of the shades so why on earth cant they upload it on to their website :mysmilie_51:
Perhaps the kids in their IT dept have not learnt how to upload things or perhaps they are having extra tuition on how to name colours!
Sorry for the rant but colours and shade naming on Q drives me bonkers.
Anyway I am still waiting for Brian to send me the Rain forest shades but i will not be holding my breath!

I've complained on here before about the poor descriptions and demos of foundation shades on-air. They usually consist of a stripe of each shade on someone's hand, waved vaguely at the camera and a cursory description, stumbling over what they are called. Is it fair or medium fair ? Tan or Medium dark? And you need a concealer one colour lighter but they have different names from the foundations so how do I chose the correct combo ?

All this amid chatter about retreats, reviews, low stock, which shade to 'go for' if yours sells out, twitts etc.

It's all very confusing, especially when they change the shade names. I went into Sephora in New York and found that I am Light Medium Neutral in the amazonian powder foundation and the shades are quite distinct and the next one up or down isn't right. It's just not clear enough which shades qvc carries. I also wonder what the American experts mean when they say that a shade will suit someone with a little more warmth in their skin. It sounds meaningless. To me warmth is yellow and coolness is pink but I don't think that's what they mean. I would buy more sets from qvc if they could offer shades available in the stores because they offer some great deals but they do love to tease us with their own twist on colours in every department. Such fun!

It's the inconsistency that irritates me on top of the general vagueness of the QVC colour names when companies assign perfectly adequate names to their products. I had a trawl through the event offers and noticed the following items with different shade offerings -
Becca OTO duly ordered in "Shell"...but why wasn't this shade available in the recent TSV??
and this Tarte 12 hour Clay foundation (single item no brush) - also ordered in Light Neutral - ditto the above comment.

And may the best foundation win (or both fail - will report findings)

The daft thing is that if a I match my skintone it's sometimes very yellow-based ( hereditary Liver condition results in bouts of mild jaundice), but because I associate yellow skin with feeling ill I actively search for foundations that are neutral or pinky. Many firms seem to favour the "shell" shade name and they seem good shades for me so far; the Avon and Bare Minerals Shell foundations I've worn in the past so I'm hoping the Becca one will too. I've used the Rainforest foundation in Light Neutral and Fair/Light Neutral so I'm interested in seeing how Light Neutral compares. The illusive Ivory shade is also listed under the same items number 209379 but I never saw it in stock, it was already crossed thru/sold out a few days before the actual literal Beauty Day launched. What is the reasoning behind the Beauty Buyers' decision to stock some colours and not others and then order a different range of shades under a different item number?

It's the inconsistency that irritates me on top of the general vagueness of the QVC colour names when companies assign perfectly adequate names to their products. I had a trawl through the event offers and noticed the following items with different shade offerings -
Becca OTO duly ordered in "Shell"...but why wasn't this shade available in the recent TSV??
and this Tarte 12 hour Clay foundation (single item no brush) - also ordered in Light Neutral - ditto the above comment.

And may the best foundation win (or both fail - will report findings)

The daft thing is that if a I match my skintone it's sometimes very yellow-based ( hereditary Liver condition results in bouts of mild jaundice), but because I associate yellow skin with feeling ill I actively search for foundations that are neutral or pinky. Many firms seem to favour the "shell" shade name and they seem good shades for me so far; the Avon and Bare Minerals Shell foundations I've worn in the past so I'm hoping the Becca one will too. I've used the Rainforest foundation in Light Neutral and Fair/Light Neutral so I'm interested in seeing how Light Neutral compares. The illusive Ivory shade is also listed under the same items number 209379 but I never saw it in stock, it was already crossed thru/sold out a few days before the actual literal Beauty Day launched. What is the reasoning behind the Beauty Buyers' decision to stock some colours and not others and then order a different range of shades under a different item number?

ahh they acutally adressed this on air with the becca Alison & Ruth both said that because the TSV was so popular they decided to get some more new shades in for the OTO

but apart from that Q will only stock up to 12 of the most popular shades & thats it

The last few I bought I got the assistants in my local stores to try a few shades on me.

US brands have this thing for everyone must wear yellow, I came across it from Bobbi Brown back in the 90s. Now she was not really yellow yellow as you see with many brands now. So QVC just as said order from Tarte,Mally,etc in the yellow shades. So one fair, light,med,tan, deep shade from each range. I think QVC cannot do proper shade choices, even if you look at QVC US its the same, they just do not get it.

As for the ****** stupid photo they put up, if you are X then this one(the model's skin tone looks nothing like yours. Or the infamous comparing to celebs). One woman on Q Facebook page keeps on about no demo on darker skins at all. Strange but true Asian skin looks better in pink toned foundations takes the ashy look from their skin, yellow will make them look much worse. Guerlain do a rose tone foundation range, which is actually far too pink for western skin. The neutral beige range is for western skins. Shisiedo foundation has a letter I(ivory=beige),B(beige which is neutral with a hint of pink) and O(orche = yellow), when QVC did the brand they only did the O and I for short period.

I am lucky I can wear yellow and pink but as long as they are not too yellow and more rose beige rather than just pink.

It's hopeless if you're very, very pale. They don't seem to consider English skins at all, just push the American yellow based theme as Donna says. I remember it being Bobbi Brown who started to push it too, same as Ll should wear brown eyeshadows. She brought out lots of eyeshadow palettes that were all various shades of brown ie " nude".
Getting nearly as bad on the dreaded HS, even Boots own brand. Their palest shade, which they matched me to as they didn't do a paler, makes me look dirty.

Breeze, you need to look at the Japanese brands they do really almost white in some cases. Some brands have their foundations made in Japan and they run paler than the name suggests. I remember a Stila foundation I bought, I had to go up three shades to get the right one. I was told as it was made in Japan they run very pale. NARS are start really pale too.

Urban Decay and their endless Nude Palettes that sell like mad, yes Bobbi Brown did them first.

I thought Chloe looked like she had jaundice on Sunday. Foundation looked like she had a plasterer in to do her makeup.

Breeze I have the opposite problem to you and also struggle to find a foundation the correct colour. I have quite a dark complexion but it isn`t tan and apart from tan shades most other foundations darker than the usual beige colours are either too orange or too yellow. I use a mineral powder foundation which I buy online but it can be used with a damp brush which then turns it into a liquid foundation on your skin and blends perfectly and the colour match for me is spot on. They do a very very pale colour called Luminous and one called English Rose which is for very fair skin with pink undertones. they do sample pots for 99p and if your ideal colour turns out to be a mixture of 2 shades they`ll custom blend it for you. It might be worth ordering a couple of their palest shades and trying them. Let me know if you want the link.

This has been a problem for me for years i.e yellow toned foundations which make me look so sallow.It stated years ago when I went into a Sephora store in New York & the makeup artist matched me with a Dior foundation with Rose in the name.I used it for years, then we move on to something different.I find the American foundations to yellow for me--Bobbi Brown is a NO NO
( although I have one of their 'yellow' powder compacts!) That is why I do not order any of these TSV's but do have Laura Geller B&B in both Fair & Medium.I find the European brands much better for the pink tones & at moment am using YSL Touche Eclat which is good.In any case I always do a dusting of Bobbi Brown ( despite earlier comment!)Illuminating Bronzing Powder in Mauri 3 to give an all over pink glow.

I used and loved Touche Eclat foundation in shade BR30, perfect match for me. Then YSL decided to put spf into it last year(?) and the shade was too light, the next shade up was too dark. None of the B shades match me.

I am using Shiseido Future Solutions FX in B20, I got it for £20 as my Debenhams stopped selling the brand so I got it on sale. It matches my skin so well, I was asked if I was wearing foundation by a make up artist?:mysmilie_17:

Yes please, Vienna, could you post a link, sounds like it could be perfect. Love the idea of being able to try samples too for 99p, why can't other brands do that?

I'd be really interested in looking at the Japanese ones, Donna. Only problem is I don't live anywhere near a city that would have them, or even brands like Nars of Mac. Only things I have within fairly easy reach are small towns that only run to a Boots & then only ones that have very small stocks of mainly their own brand, Max Factor, Rimmel & such. So would need to order online so be in much the same boat as ordering from Q.

I signed up for notifications about these foundations which will be launched shortly and they look like they have some paler, neutral/pink-toned shades in there - same umbrella company as NIOD and very reasonable prices.

http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-serum-foundation-10-n-eu-30ml

Oh, I didn't know about this, thank you Tarketta!
It's hard to match the right shade over the internet though. Shall have a look on YouTube what people are saying.

Oh, I didn't know about this, thank you Tarketta!
It's hard to match the right shade over the internet though. Shall have a look on YouTube what people are saying.

You're welcome - I have pretty bog standard light-medium, yellow-toned skin but am also on the hunt for the 'perfect' foundation as the ones I currently have are close but not quite there. Let me know how you get on as there's certainly a lot to choose from!

Edited to add the following link which shows the swatches.

http://www.reallyree.com/the-ordinary-colours-foundation-swatches-launch-information/

You're welcome - I have pretty bog standard light-medium, yellow-toned skin but am also on the hunt for the 'perfect' foundation as the ones I currently have are close but not quite there. Let me know how you get on as there's certainly a lot to choose from!

Edited to add the following link which shows the swatches.

http://www.reallyree.com/the-ordinary-colours-foundation-swatches-launch-information/

Tarketta, I'm not sure where to start, apart from looking on YouTube. It would be handy it was in the shops.

Does anyone know if it’s sold on High Street?

Latest posts

Back