Whose the idiot here?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If I get Mr L to order jewellery technically I haven't fallen off the wagon ?

YES you have!!! this is dangerous and showing an inability to face up to one's problem.Is that ordering by proxy? Step away.My L could buy as a gift of course totally unknown to you.(only jealous as I don't have a Mr SF!!)

For the beauty addicts with the stash hidden at the back of the wardrobe this article will make you feel so much better. Compared to the women being interviewed I guess most beauty-holics on here seem like lightweights or am I wrong lol ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4457020/Meet-woman-6-000-potions-cabinet.html

Wow! That article was a read! I easily have more than $2000 worth of makeup & skincare on my shelf but only coz I have makeup i've had for years on there. My current skincare probably wouldn't add up to more than $200. What struck me about those women is the hype they are buying rather than amazing product! $300 for eye cream? Collagen drinks? (Which have been proven time & time again not to work and certainly not drinking them wouldn't cause her to feel under the weather!!!) You can buy fab products for a fraction of what they spend - look at The Ordinary products which are so cheap yet causing waves throughout the beauty industry.

The outrage from many DM readers:mysmilie_17: how dare women! Its their own money if they can afford it, I do agree with these comments. Always one who slaps on is olive or some sort of oil only. And some men insisting they don't look any younger etc.

I noticed Rae has quite a lot of what looks like QVC beauty Decleor, Alpha H etc.

Warning DANGER ZONE it's 'Spoil Yourself Saturday'. Everyone has the choice as to where they spend their money & on what, it is just I was admitting to spending on items I would not necessarily choose if I stepped back & engaged brain.It is so easy to sit here (with me laptop in hand--don't have an app to tap) & be swept up into the hype & there 'oh yes I can't live without' click & order placed.I like Decleor & QVC have some very good prices for some of their packages.Yesterday I ordered one of the oils from John Lewis & as it was part of my order is free delivery.The same item on QVC was £13:95 more inc.P&P.For a further £15 I could have bought as part of a set but would have got items I didn't really want!Have I missed out here or been 'sensible'?-- What's the bet the JL order will be here Tuesday?

Oh, dear, I'll fall in line with the idiots.
I keep giving myself a good kicking about not buying anything this month....not anything! Not one thing!!!
Haven't stuck to it.
Was doing pretty well in February, just one thing bought, but last week I bought the diamonique TSV earrings ...in all three colours :confused: and several (!) things on beauty day.

Oh, dear, I'll fall in line with the idiots.
I keep giving myself a good kicking about not buying anything this month....not anything! Not one thing!!!
Haven't stuck to it.
Was doing pretty well in February, just one thing bought, but last week I bought the diamonique TSV earrings ...in all three colours :confused: and several (!) things on beauty day.

I came close to doing that with the Diamonique TSV as they were just so damn sparkly...and I've been kicking myself ever since that I didn't!!!! What are they like in the flesh???

I read an article in a magazine a couple of months back were they done research and found out that on line shopping is actually really addictive, they also said that it's that final click that gives you the buzz of excitement, feeling like you're not actually parting with any money, were as in a shop you need to put your card in the machine, tap in your PIN number etc and what I found spot on was when they said you'd probably not buy the exact same item if it was in front of you in a shop, you'd be more likely to put thought process in to it and walk away. They also said that it's a case of want not need for 80% of what we buy, it was a really interesting read and I agree with the findings.

I read an article in a magazine a couple of months back were they done research and found out that on line shopping is actually really addictive, they also said that it's that final click that gives you the buzz of excitement, feeling like you're not actually parting with any money, were as in a shop you need to put your card in the machine, tap in your PIN number etc and what I found spot on was when they said you'd probably not buy the exact same item if it was in front of you in a shop, you'd be more likely to put thought process in to it and walk away. They also said that it's a case of want not need for 80% of what we buy, it was a really interesting read and I agree with the findings.

Interesting I was thinking it would be a research project (not that I am into that now).If you 'fall off the wagon' like me don't beat yourself up too much.I could have afforded my returned purchases but have calculated how much cash will be returned to my credit card---is this the new re-cycling? It is just I want to get the most pleasure of parting with my pension as possible.

I closed my account three years ago with QVC, after ridiculous service, expensive goods but mostly receiving second hand goods and paying full price. I thought I'd get withdrawal symptoms because I'd shopped with them for twenty years, but you know what, I didn't. I do channel hop on QVC, not for long though, basically to have a laugh at all the cheese, and occasionally I see something that I've not heard of........Google and buy it elsewhere cheaper with free p&p. :mysmilie_14:

That research sounds very interesting and also very true.I no longer buy anything from TV shopping channels.As you said,it is so addictive and unlike 'real' spending until one checks their bank account!!After someone I knew ended up with a big credit card debt they struggled to clear (most of which was caused by purchases from shopping channels)I assessed my own increasing spending and realised that many items I bought were not used,were not the best value and- especially towards the end of my time as a customer- were of low quality on many occasions.I am now happily shopping on websites and on the highstreet and have beaten my addiction.

I came close to doing that with the Diamonique TSV as they were just so damn sparkly...and I've been kicking myself ever since that I didn't!!!! What are they like in the flesh???

Tarketta this is not the attitude for a reforming QVC addict. Remember your matra-- BAD TARKETTA : BAD TARKETTA

Thank goodness I don't bother with beauty buys (due to ultra sensitive skin I rarely deviate from brands I know are ok) as that seems to be the hardest to resist.

At least my weakness jewellery and handbags last for years and judging by the prices of some beauty items not that much more expensive.

That research sounds very interesting and also very true.I no longer buy anything from TV shopping channels.As you said,it is so addictive and unlike 'real' spending until one checks their bank account!!After someone I knew ended up with a big credit card debt they struggled to clear (most of which was caused by purchases from shopping channels)I assessed my own increasing spending and realised that many items I bought were not used,were not the best value and- especially towards the end of my time as a customer- were of low quality on many occasions.I am now happily shopping on websites and on the highstreet and have beaten my addiction.

I have had some laughs from your replies BAD TARKARTA & Lovesallthingsitalian trying to buy 'by proxy' (sorry for any miss spellings) & 'I am an idiot' confessions but perhaps this is a more serious situation for some.

Tarketta this is not the attitude for a reforming QVC addict. Remember your matra-- BAD TARKETTA : BAD TARKETTA

Ha ha, thanks for kick up the posterior, Silver Fox! I'm determined not to buy anything from Q in May which I think is doable as long as I steer clear of the website and the TV channel and come on here for strength when I feel weak ;)

In response to your latter post though, you're quite right, it can be an incredibly serious problem for some and I was indeed once a proper shopaholic, getting myself into so much debt I had to get an IVA which still haunts me to this day. I now limit myself to one vaguely manageable credit card as I never want to go back to that dark place again, but the desire to shop and hoard will always be there, just under much tighter rein than it was before.

Mmmm, that's the thing you see. I'm not even tempted to send any back as they're all so lovely, sparkly & wearable & each one will go with other things I have.
I'm off to the naughty step till the end of May!

Ha ha, thanks for kick up the posterior, Silver Fox! I'm determined not to buy anything from Q in May which I think is doable as long as I steer clear of the website and the TV channel and come on here for strength when I feel weak ;)

In response to your latter post though, you're quite right, it can be an incredibly serious problem for some and I was indeed once a proper shopaholic, getting myself into so much debt I had to get an IVA which still haunts me to this day. I now limit myself to one vaguely manageable credit card as I never want to go back to that dark place again, but the desire to shop and hoard will always be there, just under much tighter rein than it was before.

Well done to you! We have had a light hearted laugh but you have shown there is a darker side,keep going I am amazed at your resilience SFXX

I've saved a fortune by not going online or watching after wine o'clock. Not easy at first but if I don't see I don't buy. A load of advanced order plants turned up recently that I had forgotten all about (Mr CC: "that had better not be more plants", Me: "er, no dear, it's a huge chocolate cake packaged in a special box that looks like plants"). Sometimes with me it's just boredom and I order something, other times QVC do have the best price on an item and I get it. I could probably live without all of it.

CC

Although I'm a manic gardener with a big plot to look after, their gardening stuff is one area I've never been tempted by. All the mail order nurseries & my local nursery makes me stand back in amazement at the prices they charge. Even Aldi & Morrisons have better bargains though I wish Aldi would take better care of them once they get them in store. And I can't be doing with Richard Thingywhatsit.
They sometimes have Hayloft plants which are always good quality, pricier than I'd pay normally, but you get much better deals dealing with them direct or even in their offers in the newspapers.

Latest posts

Back