Many makeup models yet one makeup brush

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
I must admit, I am a little OCD concerning the cleanliness of my own collection of makeup brushes, which leaves me quite surprised whilst watching various shows featuring cosmetics, how often they use the same make a brush on different faces.
I know there have been frowned reactions regarding cooking demos and sharing. However personally I wouldn't feel to happy sharing a make up brush, sponge, or even worse, an eye pencil used along waterline.

Please tell me I'm being overly fussy! Do you share make up brushes with a friend? would you ask to borrow powder/lipstick at work with a colleague because you might have left yours at home? I would not. Even if I had lost my eyebrows through my day. (50% pencil)

Footnote: I cannot believe how overweight SJ has become. (I haven't seen her on air for many months though with bare minerals). Has she had a baby or currently pregnant?

You must have read my mind on both counts.

I wouldn't share my brushes or make up, especially lip gloss, mascara or eye pencils with even my sister. The mind boggles at the thought of all the bacteria. I wonder what happens to the brushes after the shows have finished ? Are they binned, or thoroughly washed. Or just put in the 'props' cupboard until the next show ?

As for SJ, I wondered if she could be going through an early menopause ? A woman at work ballooned in size as soon as hers started and it took her years to get it under control.

SJ I was wondering if she was ill, the flowery top dress thing did nothing for her and she is a very attractive woman.

Agree concerning brushes. I keep mine in a wallet thing(its a Bobbi Brown one I bought years, back with a zip so closed), anything I use with liquid I wash after each use. Once in SpaceNK I was chatting with a friend who works there and she said her personal brushes she washes once a week no matter what products. I shuddered.

I recently bought this and its the silicone thing which is amazing the dirty you can get out with it!

http://www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/brands/b/beautyblender/bendercleanser-solid-MUK200018820.html

You put me to shame re brushes! I am late washing mine although it is on the to do list but they don't get done every use, or every week even. Mind you I don't use them every day as if I don't go out I don't use make up. Mine all stand in a pot so I shall have to move that out to the bathroom so I remember to do them on Saturday. Re sharing, I think that is the sort of thing that dates back to my youth rather than now. If we were all getting ready together we would swap stuff, but I can't think that anyone would ask me now or vice versa. Plus I think we all have more stuff now.

I remember SJ being overweight quite a few years ago, when Bare Minerals first came to Q. She was on with another guest who did most of the talking, and SJ just did the make up. She used to wear a huge loose black smock type of dress, and was larger than she is now. After she began losing all that weight, presenters often commented how well she was doing. The weight is now creeping back on though.

Anybody who`se OCD and phobic about bacteria look away now. I once read an article saying that brushes, even toothbrushes shouldn`t be left uncovered in the bathroom because when people flush the toilet, bacteria from faeces flies into the air and lands on things. It said toothbrushes should be housed in those little plastic caps you can buy for them and makeup, brushes, should be stored away from the bathroom.

I never keep brushes in the bathroom.

My toothbrush is rechargeable so sits in the kitchen worktop and makeup brushes kept in bedroom

I always put the toilet seat down before flushing and it will go on bath/shower gel,body lotion bottles etc.

I wouldn't dream of asking to use someone's hairbrush, lipstick or any other 'personal' item/product, so would reject anyone asking me. Its true, its a 'teenage' thing where make up would be swapped about without a thought for hygiene. 99% of the time I use my fingers to rub in foundation and get the right look I want in eyeshadow, so these 'tools' are without question the most hygienic of the lot !

When I was a young teenager my Mum banned me from wearing makeup, she said I had to be 16 before I could wear it. I used to go to a Youth Club and would call at my friend`s house, borrow her eye shadow, mascara and lipstick and then call at her house on my way home and wash it all off. To make matters worse, this was the early 60`s and the mascara she used was the little compact one which ( and I hate to say it ) you either wet or spat into , rubbed the brush into it and then applied. Surprisingly I never caught any eye infections or other lurgies but I wouldn`t dream of borrowing or lending makeup nowadays.

:mysmilie_516::mysmilie_516:I must be the mucky minority. I can't remember the last time I washed brushes. Does anyone have recommendations for frequency and product to use?

I know a makeup artist who swears by using Fairy Liquid. Many use baby shampoo any brand will do. I use Dr.Bronner liquid soap in unfragranced bih bottles in TKMaxx some time back. As I have mild rosacea therefore classed as sensitive skin I am careful what I wash them in.

When I was a young teenager my Mum banned me from wearing makeup, she said I had to be 16 before I could wear it. I used to go to a Youth Club and would call at my friend`s house, borrow her eye shadow, mascara and lipstick and then call at her house on my way home and wash it all off. To make matters worse, this was the early 60`s and the mascara she used was the little compact one which ( and I hate to say it ) you either wet or spat into , rubbed the brush into it and then applied. Surprisingly I never caught any eye infections or other lurgies but I wouldn`t dream of borrowing or lending makeup nowadays.

The old chestnut about throwing mascara out after 3 months, no, I use until dried out. Only me using it and I never got an eye infection from it.

I use Simple brand shampoo to wash my makeup brushes. it`s unfragranced, hypoallergenic, costs me 99p a bottle from Home Bargains and leaves the bristles nice and soft.

The old chestnut about throwing mascara out after 3 months, no, I use until dried out. Only me using it and I never got an eye infection from it.

I got a tip from somewhere years ago: when mascara dries out, put a couple of drops of boiled water that was cooled to room temperature (this kills germs in the water) and leave overnight, mascara re-hydrates. I've been using this tip for years never got an eye infection either.

I know a makeup artist who swears by using Fairy Liquid. Many use baby shampoo any brand will do. I use Dr.Bronner liquid soap in unfragranced bih bottles in TKMaxx some time back. As I have mild rosacea therefore classed as sensitive skin I am careful what I wash them in.

I wash my brushes in whatever shampoo I'm using (Liz Earle) a lady at a "Look Good Feel Better" workshop advised me to do this so that I wouldn't have an allergic reaction. I can't use baby shampoo as it irritates & I have heard Ali Young say it can cause sensitivity issues. Hope this helps!

I wash mine regularly in a little Shampoo or even Conditioner! They come up great!

I noticed SJ last night and not sure if the top she was wearing didn't help her but it did her no favours! I agree she is an attractive looking woman and maybe just hit a blip or something!

So, in effort to appear less manky, I've ordered the Superdrug Real Technique brush cleaner tool thing, and will use it with my ABC tea tree wash. That should nuke any nasties. Thanks for all the recommendations and for not judging!

Latest posts

Back