A rant from a grumpy old git.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

letbuyerbeware

Registered Shopper
Why do some presenters say 30% of the stock has sold out and gone. For heavens sake you idiots it's only sold out and gone when 100% of the stock has gone. It does my head in. Well that's a load of my chest lol

Why do some presenters say 30% of the stock has sold out and gone. For heavens sake you idiots it's only sold out and gone when 100% of the stock has gone. It does my head in. Well that's a load of my chest lol

I wonder if they really hold 'stock' of anything -they probably just have a fluid arrangement with their suppliers.

Also when they say "30% of the stock has sold out" they never really (or very rarely) make it clear whether it refers to one of the following:

• Total stock available to purchase
  • An allocation of stock for a special promotion
  • Stock available from a supplier with a short lead time
Plus of course "sold out" is designed to make people panic if for whatever reason they're interested in buying a product.

All the crud about items being 'sold out' just translates to "until we get someone to go into the warehouse and get another pile off the shelves for another hour of the same". We've heard this 'sold out' garbage in every programme - but isn't it strange how often the item's back the following day or day after? Quick turnaround time from suppliers - as someone has already said on here? Hmmn, after watching IW for some time, I think we've given up believing what we hear. As Price Plunge has said, it's all rush, rush, panic, panic showmanship, designed to make you believe you cannot afford to wait to buy. Even when they've said it won't be coming back, how many times does said item re-appear? Economical with the truth, to put it mildly. The implication is always that once it's gone they can't guarantee it'll ever be back - but we can almost guarantee it will in 9 out of 10 cases, can't we? Sadly, I must admit that IW are by no means the only ones employing these tactics now - Gemporia presentations are increasingly panic-driven (I watched Adina for 5 minutes tonight - all I could stand - and she needs an industrial quantity of tranquillisers to calm her down). Manic.

Last edited:
Also when they say "30% of the stock has sold out" they never really (or very rarely) make it clear whether it refers to one of the following:

• Total stock available to purchase
  • An allocation of stock for a special promotion
  • Stock available from a supplier with a short lead time
Plus of course "sold out" is designed to make people panic if for whatever reason they're interested in buying a product.

They allocate a certain amount of stock for the hour or the day that the promotion is on before the price changes etc That stock amount is then set to be a total they know they won't sell but will get close to selling so it sounds impressive when they go 10%/20%/80% of the stock is gone. etc.

Bid tv used to do it a lot, they would scream that they are selling out of a jumper (for example), then they sell out, then 15 minutes later on price drop, they would be selling the exact same jumper.

Latest posts

Back