Best tops and t shirts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

whitesnake

Registered Shopper
I have just been watching the repeat of the Isaac Mizrahi TSV launch. They have moved off that and have gone onto different tops. I won't go on too much about a green top being actually called 'plum' because that is beyond ridiculous even by QVC standards. What really riles me is that stylist Vonda calling vest tops 'tanks'and t shirts 'tees'. Since I last looked we were actually still living in Britain and not America so why do these stylist have to come out with these American terms? Another one which grates is when they use the term 'runway' instead of catwalk when they have their pathetic 'fashion' shows. It all really sets my teeth on edge. Also am absolutely sick of seeing Amanda Holden's face popping up!

I can't 'top' what you said there Whitesnake. Absolutely spot on with everything ! and of course we know where the term 'gifting' comes from as well. As for the term 'tank', I cant help thinking of the brightly coloured knitted sleeveless tops we wore in the 70's, only then they were called tank tops. I never associate it with a plain T shirt top.

I can't 'top' what you said there Whitesnake. Absolutely spot on with everything ! and of course we know where the term 'gifting' comes from as well. As for the term 'tank', I cant help thinking of the brightly coloured knitted sleeveless tops we wore in the 70's, only then they were called tank tops. I never associate it with a plain T shirt top.

I always think tank tops as well Brissles.

It's the continual use of 'trouser' that grates on me, although it might be acceptable to many. For me, they'll always be trousers.

I hate the American word for fringes...bangs. I know everywhere has it's own words for things, but that one annoys me.

My least favourite American words, pantyhose, fanny pack (the mind boggles),purse for handbag, billfold for purse.

Ha ha, this one always cracks me up - many moons ago, a UK friend of mine (who wasn't that familiar with American words) went to visit friends in the US and one of them announced one morning she'd "shut the fridge door on her fanny" - my poor friend was horrified but entirely flummoxed as to how to ask after the state of said fanny!!!

Yes, I had a hideous mustard yellow tank top in the 70s that my nana knit me in scratchy wool. My mum used to make me wear it over a brown ribbed polo necked top. By the way I am just watching another Isaac Mizrahi show and Vonda has just mentioned wearing the TSV trousers with a 'boyfriend tee', why can't she just say t shirt? It is really annoying!

So my frost free fridge freezer was icing up bottom shelf. Thought is it the seal round the door(might be loose?). Google and Americans call the rubber seal a gasket it seems?? I kept wondering what the hell they meant about replacing the gasket and its very simple. Watched a youtube video and yes it is the seal round the door! Seriously I mean seriously! To me a gasket is something in a car engine.

Oh and I decided to defrost the fridge freezer and give it a good clean. Hopefully it has worked.

There are lots of Americanisms I hate. The one I think I hate more than any other, though, fortunately doesn't crop up on QVC - "massoose" for "masseuse". Just wrong on all levels.

Can ANYONE please explain to me why 'booty' or 'tush is used for bum, bottom or a...e ?? I've tried to fathom this one out for years and still cant see the connection. Is it just me ?

Thanks Whitesnake!!Glad it's not just me that feels this way. The one word that totally gets on my pip is MOVIE!! What's that all about? We are in the UK & it is FILM!! GRRRR!

I have just been watching the repeat of the Isaac Mizrahi TSV launch. They have moved off that and have gone onto different tops. I won't go on too much about a green top being actually called 'plum' because that is beyond ridiculous even by QVC standards. What really riles me is that stylist Vonda calling vest tops 'tanks'and t shirts 'tees'. Since I last looked we were actually still living in Britain and not America so why do these stylist have to come out with these American terms? Another one which grates is when they use the term 'runway' instead of catwalk when they have their pathetic 'fashion' shows. It all really sets my teeth on edge. Also am absolutely sick of seeing Amanda Holden's face popping up!
Wonder what happened to the original Isaac Mizrahi presenter?

If you get chance find the recording ( YouTube) of A Limey in New York by Mike Harding, the monologue not the song.. Absolutely brilliant.
I tried to post the link but for some odd reason it wouldn't put it in the post.

Thanks Whitesnake!!Glad it's not just me that feels this way. The one word that totally gets on my pip is MOVIE!! What's that all about? We are in the UK & it is FILM!! GRRRR!

And the number of people who say "We are having a movie night tonight!" I just want to give them a slap.

Latest posts

Back