Best tops and t shirts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It can be amusing ( & frustrating) in America when you are talking to someone supposedly in the same language and you rally cannot get an understanding on what they are saying, not just the words but the way they say it! I do object to these young fashion things adopting the American terms rather than the English,for me it's how they have all adopted 'gifting'.

My least favourite American words, pantyhose, fanny pack (the mind boggles),purse for handbag, billfold for purse.

:mysmilie_17: Kaena Kirk was once on and said something about fannies and she meant bums of course. She nearly fell through the floor when she found out what she'd said LOL. I think Lennie used to come out with some fanny sayings as well - I love it. I hate panties as well and "don't get your panties in a bunch" said by a man to a woman. I'd get them in a bunch alright and ram them down said man's throat :mysmilie_14:

CC

I hate these terms originating from America "you guys" and "from the get go" From the get go? I mean what's that all about? Funny enough Chloe Everton uses both these terms, hoping for a job in America? Oooh let's hope so. :mysmilie_17:

So my frost free fridge freezer was icing up bottom shelf. Thought is it the seal round the door(might be loose?). Google and Americans call the rubber seal a gasket it seems?? I kept wondering what the hell they meant about replacing the gasket and its very simple. Watched a youtube video and yes it is the seal round the door! Seriously I mean seriously! To me a gasket is something in a car engine.

Oh and I decided to defrost the fridge freezer and give it a good clean. Hopefully it has worked.
A gasket is a seal strip. Can apply to anything that needs a seal ie pumps, oven doors etc

I hate these terms originating from America "you guys" and "from the get go" From the get go? I mean what's that all about? Funny enough Chloe Everton uses both these terms, hoping for a job in America? Oooh let's hope so. :mysmilie_17:

AAAARGHH! I hate "from the get go". It is meaningless. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I have just been watching the repeat of the Isaac Mizrahi TSV launch. They have moved off that and have gone onto different tops. I won't go on too much about a green top being actually called 'plum' because that is beyond ridiculous even by QVC standards. What really riles me is that stylist Vonda calling vest tops 'tanks'and t shirts 'tees'. Since I last looked we were actually still living in Britain and not America so why do these stylist have to come out with these American terms? Another one which grates is when they use the term 'runway' instead of catwalk when they have their pathetic 'fashion' shows. It all really sets my teeth on edge. Also am absolutely sick of seeing Amanda Holden's face popping up!

Your comment made me realise how well this brainwashing is working: I'd completely forgotten that the 'runway' was ever called the 'catwalk'. Not that even that's the nicest of names, for a fashion 'aisle'!

I HATE this term with a passion. Most of the presenters on shows that have anything to do with property use the term 'you guys', quite rude really when its generally a couple (man and woman ) involved.

I took a maitre'd to task when I went with a girlfriend for lunch in a hotel. He said 'you're table is ready, so if you guys would like to follow me'. I took him to one side, and said 'We ARE two females, we dress as such, so please don't refer to us as guys", he couldn't apologise enough. My aim was not to embarrass him, but to try and stem this phrase which is taking over our lives.

You guys grr!

24/7 grr!

Mr L hates any phrase which is not proper English and shouts when he hears chill out etc etc.

Not an Americanism but I hate with a passion anyone who says very unique or really unique.

And if you go into a fruit shop and it says "lovely sweet strawberries " or similar, I scream why the hell would do that, would you say "bitter, half ripe strawberries " (even if they are). Along the roadside I often see signs "lovely eating potatoes" WTF!

This thread is funny, if annoyances can be called funny :giggle:

Another Americanism I hate is...baby daddy...for some bloke who has apparently fathered your child.

I like crisps, they call them potato chips. Noooo ! Chips are those cooked things we buy now and again with a lovely crispy battered fish and dowse with vinegar.
I like a Coke on a hot day, they call it soda. Nooooooooo ! Soda is something I add a splash of to a very nice malt whisky.
I like a nice chocolate digestive with a cup of tea. Noooo ! They call them cookies which is something I buy for my grandkids.
I like to be called by my Christian name or Mrs Vienna. Nooooo ! They called me Ma`am which makes me feel 94.
I was once in an American restaurant and ordered a fruit cup which I presumed was a kind of smoothie. It arrived in a large dish ( nowhere near the size of a cup ! ) and it was literally a fruit salad, chopped fruit and nothing else.
I had a problem with the bathroom in one of the hotels I stayed in. I call them taps, they call them faucet and the receptionist looked at me as if I was from another planet.
I like white coffee, with milk, they insist on asking did I want cream which also turned out to be milk.
A strange Country !

Oh but the French are worse. My friend ordered a hot chocolate (in perfect French I might add) and they brought her a crepe with nutella! I have to think they were just being er, French lol.

I don't mind being called "guys". Teens that I know say it is what you say when there are both guys and girls present. I like to keep young :mysmilie_17:

CC

My big sis was in Venice and wanted to order a slice of cake sitting alfresco, she knows a little Italian (our dad was bilingual) but her mind went black and guessed that they'd understand "gateau". The waitress stared, then brought her a bucket of ice (ghiaccio in italian) to save face she put a cube in her glass of wine and then hurried away. The couple of times I've attempted to speak Italian I've been answered in French which is strange.

We went to Florida some years ago and decided to buy some sandwiches in a supermarket, they were freshly made to order and looked delicious. 4 times I asked for a beef and tomato, 4 times she looked at me blankly. I pointed to the tomato and she yelled out 'oh you mean tomayto!' No love I meant a tomato but it reminded me of that song about the pronunciation of potatoes.

:mysmilie_378:Although I have no problems in general with our American friends, it would have been nice if expressions such as 'cool' and the one I detest the most (along with '24/7' ) 'heads up' could have stayed at home.

I ordered a tasse de vin blanc in Paris ha ha ha ha ha, they brought it in a cup and saucer :mysmilie_13: Verre, Candycane, verre m'dear. Also in Florida I wanted a Martini and lemonade - no idea what I was talking about. I was pointing right at it and saying surely you can see that green bottle with Martini written on it?? Ohhhhhhh Vermouth!!!

Just come to Scotland guys and I'll show you how to be confused :mysmilie_17:

CC

I ordered a tasse de vin blanc in Paris ha ha ha ha ha, they brought it in a cup and saucer :mysmilie_13: Verre, Candycane, verre m'dear. Also in Florida I wanted a Martini and lemonade - no idea what I was talking about. I was pointing right at it and saying surely you can see that green bottle with Martini written on it?? Ohhhhhhh Vermouth!!!

Just come to Scotland guys and I'll show you how to be confused :mysmilie_17:

CC

My late first hubby was a Scot and even though we lived in England we regularly visited his family up North. Irn Bru called ginger, a sandwich called a piece, knocking on the door was called chapping, food shopping was going for the messages and not to mention square sausages, a plain loaf and a Glasgow kiss lol. It fascinated me hearing his relatives talk but I must confess his brother in law who hailed from Castlemilk was often a nightmare to understand. He spoke so quickly, once fell out with me because I wore a green and cream striped jumper ( yes really ! ) and it was an education when he took me to the Barras where everything and anything was on sale and not all of it legal.

My late first hubby was a Scot and even though we lived in England we regularly visited his family up North. Irn Bru called ginger, a sandwich called a piece, knocking on the door was called chapping, food shopping was going for the messages and not to mention square sausages, a plain loaf and a Glasgow kiss lol. It fascinated me hearing his relatives talk but I must confess his brother in law who hailed from Castlemilk was often a nightmare to understand. He spoke so quickly, once fell out with me because I wore a green and cream striped jumper ( yes really ! ) and it was an education when he took me to the Barras where everything and anything was on sale and not all of it legal.

I love a plain loaf lol. I remember as a child my mum (scots) saying in the car on the way somewhere "Oh I forgot the pieces". My dad (English) "pieces of what?" Ha ha ha ha. Why did they get married? They never understood each other. How about "hen", "Gie's it", and my stepdad refused to eat green apples ha ha ha (although we're from the east not the west). Aye, there's no one like us and thank god for that :mysmilie_59:

CC

Obviously because of the Ulster Scots connection in my childhood we had pieces for our packed lunch and they still sell plain loaves in local shops. I went for the messages many a time!

Now that we have multi national supermarkets and American TV those sort of things have been lost to younger generation - they would be as flummoxed as a Londoner would be!

Latest posts

Back