Severe Breach of DPA

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
I was listening/watching my 'white noise' last night during the Decleor TSV and noticed something that I think is a shocking DPA breach. The 'rights and wrongs' of the ticker tape of new customers has been discussed before, but what I have never seen before is that one of the new customers full address (all bar the house number), was on the screen. Now I know technically this person can't be found on those details (unless it is a very astute postperson). But still it is surely wrong and a severe breach of DPA for this to have occurred in the first place. I know Q get things wrong ( when trying to convience us the unsuspecting (or with regards to people using this site 'suspecting but dare I say it (stupid, as you know what to expect), that comes out when 'flgging' (verbal not actual). But surely this is more serious than that!

I will say they ask before putting up the stupid new customers this hour have bought. Usually name and city/town but full address is just wrong. Hell I would be embarrassed to see my name appear at all.

Just seen it with the midnight show it will have been on repeat throughout the night.
:mysmilie_13:

:mysmilie_506:I wonder, if a customer has a house name and not a house number would their whole name and address be displayed for all the world to see?

I've had from the outlet returning customers address and account number with purchases, hitting the shredder on discovery.
Also the times I've happened to come across items I wasn't purchasing with details with them I've pointed it out to the staff.

:mysmilie_13:

Yes in the past I've had someones return slip in my parcel showing their name, address and membership number. When I rang to tell QVC the woman just told me to bin it, I said shouldn't you alert the woman that I've got her details, the CS woman panicked and told me, no! no! it's ok just throw it away. All I can say is that the woman who's details I received with my used item, should thank her lucky stars that it never fell in to unscrupulous hands, as for where my invoice ended up? who knows? Certainly not QVC who didn't give a poop.

I remember a good few years ago I ordered a computer game from a well-known high-street computer superstore and was sent instead a rather expensive (at the time) camera it was a film camera and came with lens etc, according to the bill it was around £600 so a fair whack compared to my £20 computer game. When I telephoned the store, they seemed reluctant to deal with it and stated that I would have to arrange for a return or I could contact the person and make arrangements as from their point of view they had delivered the item (hmm yeah I suppose), but eventually they did agree on collection, I never got my game, but after a lot of argey-bargey I got my refund. That is nothing to say of the time Royal Mail delivered an item not to Scotland but to Ireland! I suppose we can all have 'horror stories'!

I know this is kinda going of thread (which I was the original 'thredee', but these types of stories always amaze me as to how people manage to get employed!

You'd think they'd reward your honesty Yorkrose, even if just to fast track the game to you! Others would have kept quiet and kept the camera!

I must confess that when I ordered a new laptop from Tesco Direct they sent me the wrong one, a much more expensive one by mistake. It was nothing like the one I ordered and was almost £250 dearer. The invoice and address were correct, all my own details and all I can surmise is someone, somewhere, picked the wrong one off a warehouse shelf. I hang my head and admit I kept it and said nothing.

I must confess that when I ordered a new laptop from Tesco Direct they sent me the wrong one, a much more expensive one by mistake. It was nothing like the one I ordered and was almost £250 dearer. The invoice and address were correct, all my own details and all I can surmise is someone, somewhere, picked the wrong one off a warehouse shelf. I hang my head and admit I kept it and said nothing.

The only reason why I wouldn't keep something like that is because I'd be the unlucky so and so who got busted and done for fraud, like that woman who picked up the twenty quid note in the shop!

The only reason why I wouldn't keep something like that is because I'd be the unlucky so and so who got busted and done for fraud, like that woman who picked up the twenty quid note in the shop!

The invoice showed the make, model and price of the one I ordered so unless they sent the SAS, MI5 or the FBI to do a raid on my house, their paperwork would show I was sent what I ordered. The mistake was obviously made by either the human or machine who picked the item from the warehouse shelf. Let`s face it how many times have we seen similar mistakes on Q`s facebook page, when someone has ordered a black bag but received a green one or they`ve ordered a makeup item and received a bird feeder and so on. I must admit keeping the laptop did actually prick my conscience and had it not been my paperwork and in someone else`s name and address, I would have contacted Tesco.

Don't hang your head Vienna, you bought in good faith a computer, but they sent you the wrong one, it's their fault so don't worry about it.

In a similar vein: received a letter from British Gas about our annual review - our house address but wrong name. Further on in the letter, it refers to a different address (same house number). This is about the 5th time I've told them about it. Each time they say it's sorted. The guy I spoke to today has "raised a fault". What?!

No doubt I'll get more correspondence from them in January.

Incompetent idiots. Grrrrrrr!!!!

In a similar vein: received a letter from British Gas about our annual review - our house address but wrong name. Further on in the letter, it refers to a different address (same house number). This is about the 5th time I've told them about it. Each time they say it's sorted. The guy I spoke to today has "raised a fault". What?!

No doubt I'll get more correspondence from them in January.

Incompetent idiots. Grrrrrrr!!!!

If you contact them again tell them you are complaining to the information commissioner.

You'd think they'd reward your honesty Yorkrose, even if just to fast track the game to you! Others would have kept quiet and kept the camera!

More likely they didn't want to admit that they the 'mighty' PC ____ had made a mistake, also of course I got through to a contact centre and we all know how 'brilliant' they are!

You do right to 'hang your head' :mysmilie_14: I suppose you are also one of those people who if been given too much in change you keep it? I have honestly in the past returned money even if it is only 10p. I remember one week at a market stall they 'let me off' 10p and I felt guilty so gave it back the following week. I AM NOT a 'Holier than thou' person in any stretches of the imagination, but big or small all companies are there to do business. Though saying that if it was a new piece of tech sent wrong, then that may have been different :mysmilie_14:

You do right to 'hang your head' :mysmilie_14: I suppose you are also one of those people who if been given too much in change you keep it? I have honestly in the past returned money even if it is only 10p. I remember one week at a market stall they 'let me off' 10p and I felt guilty so gave it back the following week. I AM NOT a 'Holier than thou' person in any stretches of the imagination, but big or small all companies are there to do business. Though saying that if it was a new piece of tech sent wrong, then that may have been different :mysmilie_14:

I'd never keep money that wasn't mine, I found a woman's purse with about £300 in it not so long ago and went the Police Staion and handed it in, I've also gave the extra tenner that came out the self service machine in Morrisons back, so no I'd never keep anyone's money. As for Vienna and that computer, she wouldn't have known the difference if not checked the specs, so don't defy someone by one action, that's not nice.

Lol Yorkie, I`m such a tech dumbo that the only reason I knew I`d been sent a lappy with a much higher spec was because the one I ordered was black and when I took it out of the packaging it was a white one. I thought that`s strange because they didn`t have a white one in the one I`d ordered. When I looked on the website and found it, it was only then that I realised someone somewhere had accidentally upgraded my lappy to a more expensive all singing all dancing model.

Lol Yorkie, I`m such a tech dumbo that the only reason I knew I`d been sent a lappy with a much higher spec was because the one I ordered was black and when I took it out of the packaging it was a white one. I thought that`s strange because they didn`t have a white one in the one I`d ordered. When I looked on the website and found it, it was only then that I realised someone somewhere had accidentally upgraded my lappy to a more expensive all singing all dancing model.

Was it this model? (Click to enlarge)

Danciing laptop computers-laptop-lap_dancer-lap_dance-dance-dancing-bven905_low.jpg

Latest posts

Back