Clintons - up to 50% off sale on Yankee Candle

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We could be the same person (poor you!).

Sadly, I've found many of the WJs to be non-descript, while others have been fantastic. I do like the size and style of WJs so I'm always disappointed when they are weak or bland.

I've never tried a Sandy Bay candle - your experience would put me off now. I hate it when they smoke.

Arf arf, likewise :mysmilie_17:

I do believe I have been quite lucky with the WJ candles as on the whole, they've been a lot stronger than some of the housewarmer ones but only when burned vs in the jar when they do smell a bit wimpy to say the least. The eucalyptus one is stunning and I wish I'd bought more, ah well - like you say, they burn so much more efficiently than the housewarmers.

My limited experience of Sandy Bay is that their candles smell amazing and the packaging is stunning too but the smoking is a bit off-putting - the Citrus Twist smells just like Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin, it's just so refreshing. I may give that a go tonight when I get home ;)

Arf arf, likewise :mysmilie_17:

I do believe I have been quite lucky with the WJ candles as on the whole, they've been a lot stronger than some of the housewarmer ones but only when burned vs in the jar when they do smell a bit wimpy to say the least. The eucalyptus one is stunning and I wish I'd bought more, ah well - like you say, they burn so much more efficiently than the housewarmers.

My limited experience of Sandy Bay is that their candles smell amazing and the packaging is stunning too but the smoking is a bit off-putting - the Citrus Twist smells just like Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin, it's just so refreshing. I may give that a go tonight when I get home ;)

I have never smelt a eucalyptus scented candle, I must admit. Everyone seems to rave about it but to me it conjures up thoughts of cough/cold sweets and medication. I'm sure it wouldn't be so popular if that were the case.

So is that not the only Sandy Bay candle you have had a smoke problem with? A shame as other than that, they sound wonderful. Where do you find them?

I have never smelt a eucalyptus scented candle, I must admit. Everyone seems to rave about it but to me it conjures up thoughts of cough/cold sweets and medication. I'm sure it wouldn't be so popular if that were the case.

So is that not the only Sandy Bay candle you have had a smoke problem with? A shame as other than that, they sound wonderful. Where do you find them?

Re eucalyptus scents, that's exactly what I thought so I presumed I would have to 'gift' (gaaaaaah) that one from the WJ trio I bought...however, on smelling it I was hooked. It's just the cleanest, smoothest, purest smell you can imagine when you burn it - it is a very simple smell, not many layers to it but I really do love it. Not sure what the main range eucalyptus is like - if it's anything like the lavender then the WJ one is far superior.

I had a set of 3 small jar candles from them as well (all bought from QVC as the prices from their online store are insane) and they smoked a bit too, but I assumed it was because of the size of them. As it is, I think it's the fact there are so many perfume oils in the candle, that's what smokes as they are very highly perfumed.

I've got a couple of eucalyptus candles (HW & WJ) buried somewhere, probably to be burnt in a couple of years! I am glad you say the California Redwood WJ is a bit wishy washy. I was soooo looking forward to it but when I sniffed it, it was like breathing in a sack of tomatoes to me. Perhaps the woodier notes will come through when lit. I'll let you know in 2020!

(I wonder when the new trio will come on air, the one with Himalayan Air. I am standing ready!! I don't like to order until they are on the YC page, and they may reduce it from £30 plus postage. You never know your luck!)

PS I'm exhausted. Just back from the MB sale where I got two duos for £26 each, so £13 per shower gel. I now have soooooo many, but at least I can get rid of that Elemis shower cream which gave no lather whatsoever.

:mysmilie_59:

I've got a couple of eucalyptus candles (HW & WJ) buried somewhere, probably to be burnt in a couple of years! I am glad you say the California Redwood WJ is a bit wishy washy. I was soooo looking forward to it but when I sniffed it, it was like breathing in a sack of tomatoes to me. Perhaps the woodier notes will come through when lit. I'll let you know in 2020!

(I wonder when the new trio will come on air, the one with Himalayan Air. I am standing ready!! I don't like to order until they are on the YC page, and they may reduce it from £30 plus postage. You never know your luck!)

PS I'm exhausted. Just back from the MB sale where I got two duos for £26 each, so £13 per shower gel. I now have soooooo many, but at least I can get rid of that Elemis shower cream which gave no lather whatsoever.

I shall eagerly await your take on both versions :mysmilie_59:

Yes I was terribly disappointed re the Californian Redwood as I do love those kinds of smells when they're done well - Summer Storm was an equal disappointment for exactly the same reasons. I just don't understand how anything with patchouli in it can smell wishy washy, it's quite a feat!

Likewise I am waiting for the Himalayan Air trio to be aired online - having got the other trio for £28.88 plus P&P, I'm hoping this one will be similarly priced when it airs.

I have studiously avoided going anywhere near the MB sale as there are several duos I'm keen on and I have a big ole stash myself that I keep adding to, despite best intentions. Which ones did you get? Let me have some vicarious MB thrills :mysmilie_13:

Agreed re the Elemis body products, one of the reasons why I don't bother with their TSVs anymore, think the body products are rubbish!

Of the ones on the MB website, I already had the two Davana Blossom with Sensual Hanaleni (a big fave) / Wild Indigo duos. Today I added Arctic Birch (another big fave, blast from the past) and Water Mint plus Wild Fairyfleur and White Sandalwood, three I haven't tried before but they did have testers so I know they are nice. I got the last Arctic Birch set in the shop! Hopefully there won't be any shows on in the near, or even distant, future cos I really mustn't get any more. I must start being less frugal with it and copy la Franks when she demonstrates and sends Gemma into a tizzy with the amount she pours out.

Of the ones on the MB website, I already had the two Davana Blossom with Sensual Hanaleni (a big fave) / Wild Indigo duos. Today I added Arctic Birch (another big fave, blast from the past) and Water Mint plus Wild Fairyfleur and White Sandalwood, three I haven't tried before but they did have testers so I know they are nice. I got the last Arctic Birch set in the shop! Hopefully there won't be any shows on in the near, or even distant, future cos I really mustn't get any more. I must start being less frugal with it and copy la Franks when she demonstrates and sends Gemma into a tizzy with the amount she pours out.

Those are exactly the two sets I wanted...still soooo tempted! What is the Wild Fairyfleur one like as that's the only one I don't know?

I'm very naughty with my shower gel and use loads for each shower, but I like a lot of lather and it still lasts for ages!

WF is a light floral, the least striking of the three I think. Nice though, but then when aren't they? It is sealed up so I can't do a sniff I'm afraid as I don't want to open it until I'm nearly ready to use it...... so goodness knows when that will be.

I went in Clinton's for a card yesterday and saw a small selection of Yankee items with 50% off on the counter (didn't see them when I called in at the weekend). I ended up buying a boxed set of 12 melts for £10.99 - I didn't "need" them as I have lots and I don't use melts very often, but they included the Tobacco Flower, which I wanted to try as mentioned earlier, and other Havana ones, none of which I have in any other form. As I was paying, the manager pointed out a medium pillar in Black Coconut reduced to £5 so I ended up getting that too as that was definitely more than 50% off and I like the pillar/decor style, like the WJs. I have a large jar of Black Coconut but have never burned it. I lit the new pillar last night and really like it. It's not as overtly coconutty as I expected and has a lovely creamy softness. Maybe that's because it's old stock or something but I still love it!

Brilliant! Thanks Tarketta, just ordered mine.

AndiK, well done on the black Coconut pillar! What a find! I bet it isn't old stock, I think it is a creamier scent not just coconut as in"I've got a luvverly bunch of".

Brilliant! Thanks Tarketta, just ordered mine.

AndiK, well done on the black Coconut pillar! What a find! I bet it isn't old stock, I think it is a creamier scent not just coconut as in"I've got a luvverly bunch of".

Have to admit I went in Clinton's again yesterday (before you say I must be completely obsessed to keep going back or have nothing better to do, I should point out it is under 3 mins' walk away through M&S). I wanted to see if they had any more of the Black Coconut for £5 as I'd seen them in the window. Turns out the one I got was from a damaged set of two in a gift box (the other was Wedding Day but I assume that got broken or something, not that I like it). So it was a one-off cheapo (sad face).

PS I'm sure your coconuts are wonderful :mysmilie_17:

AndiK, you've been so good and restrained, I don't think I'm being too much of a bad influence in saying I think you should treat yourself :mysmilie_17:

Is it sad I'm excited to receive these?

I am so, so tempted! They are sitting there on a tab on my computer and every time I see it, I pause for a few seconds' thought. I believe it's the one you and Mazza are most keen on the sound of, but the one that puts me off a bit is the Himalayan Air. It sounds a bit "generically ozone-y" (you'd have to live in my head to understand that, sorry). But, but, but the set is a decent price for a change and I do so love the WJs.

I am so, so tempted! They are sitting there on a tab on my computer and every time I see it, I pause for a few seconds' thought. I believe it's the one you and Mazza are most keen on the sound of, but the one that puts me off a bit is the Himalayan Air. It sounds a bit "generically ozone-y" (you'd have to live in my head to understand that, sorry). But, but, but the set is a decent price for a change and I do so love the WJs.

I won't encourage you anymore but re Himalayan Air, I last smelled it about 5 years ago in a Bed Bath & Beyond and was very taken but for the life of me I can't give you any description of the scent other than I loved it and it did smell like clean mountain air...of course that may have been the power of suggestion from the name and pale blue colour! I do seem to remember it smelled more woody/cologne-y to me than ozone-y...so less Arctic Glacier, more mild Midsummer's Night...but don't quote me on it, please!

This is the official YC description

http://www.waxaddicts.co.uk/h-yankee-candle-scent-list/4588369188

I won't encourage you anymore but re Himalayan Air, I last smelled it about 5 years ago in a Bed Bath & Beyond and was very taken but for the life of me I can't give you any description of the scent other than I loved it and it did smell like clean mountain air...of course that may have been the power of suggestion from the name and pale blue colour! I do seem to remember it smelled more woody/cologne-y to me than ozone-y...so less Arctic Glacier, more mild Midsummer's Night...but don't quote me on it, please!

This is the official YC description

http://www.waxaddicts.co.uk/h-yankee-candle-scent-list/4588369188

Ah, thanks, Tarketta. That Wax Addicts description is much more appealing than QVC's "breathe in crystal clear air and feel your cares fall away with Himalayan cedar extract". Much as I like cedar usually, it often means a pine-y type fragrance and I have so many like that. I like candles which mention musk such as the Midsummer's Night you mention, though, so if WA are right, this will be rather lovely.

Oh dear, you are making it even harder. I suspect you are trying to encourage me to make yourself feel better .. but that's ok, we're all in this together!

Latest posts

Back