Catherine Huntley - has she been targeted via online abuse?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm a big fan of FB (most definitely each to their own of course) but there are two hard and fast rules I live by:

1. Never post personal stuff on there (that goes for pics too) - it ain't interesting to anyone but yourself and I don't want people knowing too much about me
2. Never get involved in any kind of 'exchange' as it will invariably lead to unpleasantness/trolling - ignore any sh*tty comments and don't rise to the trolls

For someone like Chuntley, it's impossible to live by those rules as she obviously gets a lot/most of her self worth from the adulation she receives online...problem with that is you have to take the rough with the smooth, i.e. if you let a lot of sycophants in, you'll also let a lot of toxic folk in too - you can't have it both ways!

I keep away from fb now ...had awful experiences on their ....ugh ...opens up a whole porthole of evil imho ...
People behaved in a way towards me that was devastating. ...friends too ...don't miss it either

How awful! Why can't people on FB be like the people on here? This is practically the only online place where I find we can talk like friends do over a cuppa or glass of something relaxing! OK, we b!tch about QVC a bit (or a lot, depending how they are treating us!) but the tone is very, very rarely anything but good-natured between us.

How awful! Why can't people on FB be like the people on here? This is practically the only online place where I find we can talk like friends do over a cuppa or glass of something relaxing! OK, we b!tch about QVC a bit (or a lot, depending how they are treating us!) but the tone is very, very rarely anything but good-natured between us.

Me too Andi, I feel exactly the same. :mysmilie_3:

I'm a big fan of FB (most definitely each to their own of course) but there are two hard and fast rules I live by:

1. Never post personal stuff on there (that goes for pics too) - it ain't interesting to anyone but yourself and I don't want people knowing too much about me
2. Never get involved in any kind of 'exchange' as it will invariably lead to unpleasantness/trolling - ignore any sh*tty comments and don't rise to the trolls

For someone like Chuntley, it's impossible to live by those rules as she obviously gets a lot/most of her self worth from the adulation she receives online...problem with that is you have to take the rough with the smooth, i.e. if you let a lot of sycophants in, you'll also let a lot of toxic folk in too - you can't have it both ways!

It is genuinely nice to hear that some of us have a positive experience of FB - in your case, probably because of your personal "rules". You probably don't use it as much as some of the more obsessive people I know. To be fair, in many cases the novelty has definitely worn off in the past couple of years and they seem to have improved their privacy settings too.

I have facebook but I post very little on it. I sometimes shake my head at people who post their every single movement on it but I just scroll past and their posts are harmless even if somewhat boring.
I joined facebook when my oldest son was out in Afghanistan. He was only allowed one phone card per week and it was almost impossible for him to get a signal on his mobile let alone terribly expensive too so he relied heavily on that phonecard to contact home. Of course his wife and children were first in the queue for that call but when he was back from patrols or from being out in the field and on down time in Camp Bastion they could access computers and because of the time difference I knew if there was a post on his facebook when I logged on in the morning that he was safe and well.
Facebook saved me many a worry so for that I`ll always be glad I signed up to it.

I have facebook but I post very little on it. I sometimes shake my head at people who post their every single movement on it but I just scroll past and their posts are harmless even if somewhat boring.
I joined facebook when my oldest son was out in Afghanistan. He was only allowed one phone card per week and it was almost impossible for him to get a signal on his mobile let alone terribly expensive too so he relied heavily on that phonecard to contact home. Of course his wife and children were first in the queue for that call but when he was back from patrols or from being out in the field and on down time in Camp Bastion they could access computers and because of the time difference I knew if there was a post on his facebook when I logged on in the morning that he was safe and well.
Facebook saved me many a worry so for that I`ll always be glad I signed up to it.

Now that's what you call an excellent reason to have a Facebook account! It's made me a little emotional!

Ha ha! And I bet they looked at you like you have two heads. Don't you love it when people (try to) suggest you are so old-fashioned because you don't use FB and Twitter, or you must be very bored and lonely without them? In fact, the opposite is usually true!

Oh I can SO identify with that !

I've lost count of 'lunches with friends' when they start chirping away about some Facebook item, and then turn to me and say "Oh, you're not on Facebook are you". Rolling my eyes I say "nope, and I don't have a smartphone or ipad either, but look, I'm still here, still breathing and with a heartbeat too, isn't that amazing " - my friends know me, so don't take offence.

I also carry around a small photograph album that people can actually hold, feel and look at (when the need arises), and oh the novelty of it all, - but its always produced positive comments - as opposed to being shown a series of 'flicked' images on a two inch screen !!!

there was a webpage about her apparent former work unsure if its still up and not sure if it was true but was mentioned on here

:giggle:

It is. Sometimes you lower the tone a bit .... but I love it! ("Oh you are awful", etc...)

:heart:

How very dare you!! :mysmilie_17: do you mean like every time I hear Glen Campbell say "species" it sounds like "faeces"? Mind you scrap that, he probably does mean the clothes are "faeces". Apologies! :heart: :mysmilie_15:

How very dare you!! :mysmilie_17: do you mean like every time I hear Glen Campbell say "species" it sounds like "faeces"? Mind you scrap that, he probably does mean the clothes are "faeces". Apologies! :heart: :mysmilie_15:

Ha, yes. I didn't know about the species/faeces confusion. But I do remember DF's Elemis.

Ha, yes. I didn't know about the species/faeces confusion. But I do remember DF's Elemis.

Oh yes! :mysmilie_17: DF sniffing her Elemis! Ooh yuk, wonder if she does that in her guest house/retreat/what ever it is this week? *shudders* perish the thought. :mysmilie_17:

I think a lot of the carp they spew about family, holidays, pets etc stems from the 'gallery' directing them to create lifestyles that viewers can aspire to by buying from QVC. Also to make poor mis-guided viewers think the presenters are their friends.

The presenters are not slick enough to create the illusion without going OTT with a sledgehammer. looking at some of the characters on their FB page though, they are succeeding in part.

I totally agree Andi K and Shopperholic ...thank gooodness for this wonderful forum ...I've said it before and I'll say it again...I ,love it here ..yeah we have a good old whinge and a B@£h session but at the core of it all good feelings prevail here ..I wouldn't be able to hang around if it didn't ..FB scarred me for life lol...caught two friends whom I was thrilled to bits to meet up with again ...slagging me off ...It really cut badly and took a while to process it and get over it really ...I'm not a child and neither are they ..this place has been so kind to me especially when I was very upset over a relative a few years ago ...I've never forgotten that ...:heart: and I've had some real laughs too lol :mysmilie_17:

there was a webpage about her apparent former work unsure if its still up and not sure if it was true but was mentioned on here

Oh yes I remember that!!!!

Started because of a documentary about a lap dancing club. The woman who run/owned it said that one of the dancers who used to work there now appears on a shopping channel. She had a good laugh watching her ( I believe it was present? As the said person talked about products), knowing what she occasionally did to earn money. Now we are going back might have been 10 years and we worked out it was CHuntley, well after her discussing her poo on twitter shaking her arse on a table was nothing.

First off, apologies for this thread as my knowledge of QVC happenings is minimal, as I no longer have severe insomnia, so no longer need QVC to help me sleep. :giggle:
I did watch a little on air today with Catherine Huntley presenting, whom made various facetious, yet poking remarks regarding the fact she might have been accused of having an 'all about me' personality, and referring to online abuse
I wondered if she had received twitter trolls or similar?

Of course I dont know her personality. However, she is in a job in the public eye, and like others celebrity or politicians, it might be one of the drawbacks in this modern day of 'online feedback'.

My opinion - she seems fragile and sensitive to criticism, therefore possibly in the wrong job. Maybe shes better being behind the camera, rather than in front of it.

'If you can't take the heat....'

..Then I turned QVC off realising I had not missed much. Zzzzzz

The point is as with anyone or anything that is shown or watched/viewed nowadays and with the advent of online forums (like this one), there is a 'fine line' and also of course what one person/group may see as 'light-hearted banter' others may see as hurtful, as when you are 'commenting' with a keyboard, then a person may not necessarily know of the repercussions that their 'banter', 'rhetoric' is causing the recipient, I stopped posting myself for a while as I became aware that members of Q read this forum and whilst I (hopefully), don't go 'over the line', it is nice to share with 'like-minded' the 'joys' of Q, whilst just having some 'light-banter' at their expense, I hope I don't go over, but this post has highlighted to me how different people may view the same posting!

Latest posts

Back