£25 for a laundry basket, £12 for some tile cleaner

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Just saw Jilly Halliday presenting a laundry basket for £25. Its unique selling point was its retractable legs that automatically fold when the basket is lifted. They kept picking up and putting down the basket, producing an annoying sound like a machine gun. Ooooh and they throw a few clothes pegs in! Big f***ing deal! What a load of overpriced rubbish!

Same for the Lakeland "Vamoose" cleaner - £12 for that. I guarantee that the Astonish products I get from the Pound Shop work just as well

These items just seem like "bran new" con tricks.

£22 for a sink unblocker

It seems that there's no end to the number of vastly overpriced "household helper" products QVC is prepared to peddle. I think the only thing they are helping is themselves - to people's money, preying like vultures on the ill-informed. What sensible person would pay £22 for a sink unblocker when 1) they shouldn't be pouring fat down the sink drain anyway and 2) one can always purchase a sodium hydroxide-based product from the Pound Shop?

£20 for some aluminium foil!

I swear either I am losing the plot, or perhaps QVC are. They have just demonstrated some aluminium baking foil. So as if to demonstrate its strength, the guest just lifted a house brick with the foil. Terrific (!)...... but....erm... please tell me when I am EVER going to have the need to do that? What is wrong with the £1 foil I buy? Answer: NOTHING.

£15.50 for 2 "bags for life"

Yet another overpriced Lakeland product. They just touted 2 "trolley bags" that, from what I could see, are just vastly overpriced "bags for life." They were hawking them under the pretext that "supermarket carrier bags are just getting thinner and thinner." NO THEY ARE NOT! There is NOTHING in that Lakeland hour that couldn't be sourced from the Pound Shop.

Terrific! Perhaps it's for people who put a lot of filling in their sandwiches? :mysmilie_17: Bought some baking foil at the weekend - 75p in Asda! Funnily enough, I didn't feel tempted to rush home and use it to lift a brick - maybe I should get out more? I just do not know how these presenters keep a straight face - I would be laughing my head off if I had to demonstrate the overpriced carp they flog.

I swear either I am losing the plot, or perhaps QVC are. They have just demonstrated some aluminium baking foil. So as if to demonstrate its strength, the guest just lifted a house brick with the foil. Terrific (!)...... but....erm... please tell me when I am EVER going to have the need to do that? What is wrong with the £1 foil I buy? Answer: NOTHING.

They must be making HUGE profits on this cleaning stuff, ever mind factoring in the extortionate p & p.
Just saw Jilly Halliday presenting a laundry basket for £25. Its unique selling point was its retractable legs that automatically fold when the basket is lifted. They kept picking up and putting down the basket, producing an annoying sound like a machine gun. Ooooh and they throw a few clothes pegs in! Big f***ing deal! What a load of overpriced rubbish!

Same for the Lakeland "Vamoose" cleaner - £12 for that. I guarantee that the Astonish products I get from the Pound Shop work just as well

These items just seem like "bran new" con tricks.

Steady on chaps! I won't hear a word against the 4 supermarket bags for £15.50. These are my YC stash bags and the large ones are full to the brim. So they are very heavy and the bags are very sturdy. I love them. They were bought for that purpose though, they are not for shopping!!!! I also bought an expensive set of three recycling bags as I had just had a grey kitchen put in and thought they would look good. But I don't use them so at the moment they are in reserve as YC overflow bags. And as my flat got partly flooded last week, they may have been needed. Be Prepared!!!!!

:mysmilie_59:

Steady on chaps! I won't hear a word against the 4 supermarket bags for £15.50. These are my YC stash bags and the large ones are full to the brim. So they are very heavy and the bags are very sturdy. I love them. They were bought for that purpose though, they are not for shopping!!!! I also bought an expensive set of three recycling bags as I had just had a grey kitchen put in and thought they would look good. But I don't use them so at the moment they are in reserve as YC overflow bags. And as my flat got partly flooded last week, they may have been needed. Be Prepared!!!!!

:mysmilie_59:

Um, what's YC ??

As I get older I appear to be getting more rubbish at identifying 'initial speak', and rack my brains trying to decipher it.

I have actually got that laundry basket, I did buy mine from lakeland, I think I paid about £18 for it, it really is a good product, I certainly didn't pay £25 + P&P, they were throwing in pegs too, but would
that plump the price up, who knows.

The most annoying had to be the demo of the laundry basket. OK it has folding legs - it get it! Why they kept having to keep folding and unfolding the legs I really do not know. Maybe they just liked the loud clacking sound it made?

Let us now look at how much their prices were compared to the dreaded "high street."

PRODUCT / QVC PRICE / HIGH STREET PRICE

Aluminium foil £20 / £2
Cleaning spray £12 / £2
Laundry basket £25 / £5
2 heavy duty bags £15.50 / £2
Drain cleaner / unblocker £15 / £1

High street saving on the above lot totals a jaw-dropping, uber expensive £75.50 which would be more than enough to pay for a bucketful of eek rings or that fashion-forward dress you were thinking of gifting to your girlfriend.
I wonder who actually buys all this stuff. Methinks there can't be that many people that would buy all the above from QVC. I mean, just how many agoraphobic, telly-watching, OCD women with bad backs who like carrying house bricks around in tin foil are there? Had the census questioned this I'd hazard a guess that it would have uncovered that around 0.000000000000000000000000000000001% of the UK population would fit into this category.

I have actually got that laundry basket, I did buy mine from lakeland, I think I paid about £18 for it, it really is a good product, I certainly didn't pay £25 + P&P, they were throwing in pegs too, but would
that plump the price up, who knows.

Did you hear that silly guest talk about "peg matching" your pegs on the washing line? I mean, what planet must she live on to care about such things?

Did you hear that silly guest talk about "peg matching" your pegs on the washing line? I mean, what planet must she live on to care about such things?

I find that very disconcerting. However,they would say anything to make a sale or multiple sales.If she really is OCD over pegs she would need therapy if she saw my mixed plastic /wood multicoloured ,chipped ,sun bleached offerings.:mysmilie_14:

I find that very disconcerting. However,they would say anything to make a sale or multiple sales.If she really is OCD over pegs she would need therapy if she saw my mixed plastic /wood multicoloured ,chipped ,sun bleached offerings.:mysmilie_14:

Not gonna lie, when I'm hanging up washing, the pegs have to match on each item...but I certainly wouldn't use my simmering OCD as a marketing tactic, far from it!

Well I got some plain wooden old-fashioned pegs for 30 cents from the Maxima supermarket in Palanga and they do a sterling job. I'm very pleased with my cheap pegs. And guess what? They all match perfectly!!!!!!

It seems that there's no end to the number of vastly overpriced "household helper" products QVC is prepared to peddle. I think the only thing they are helping is themselves - to people's money, preying like vultures on the ill-informed. What sensible person would pay £22 for a sink unblocker when 1) they shouldn't be pouring fat down the sink drain anyway and 2) one can always purchase a sodium hydroxide-based product from the Pound Shop?
Bought a similar laundry basket from Lidl's about a year ago at £5

Not gonna lie, when I'm hanging up washing, the pegs have to match on each item...but I certainly wouldn't use my simmering OCD as a marketing tactic, far from it!

I guess we all have our funny little ways. I am quite obsessive about vacuuming my cars and get very upset whenever I find any of those little stones in the footwell. I also am very particular about cleaning my fridge with my Astonish anti-bacterial spray (bought from the £1 shop) and I am always cleaning the screen on my smartphone with hand sanitiser gel.

Latest posts

Back