One Button?..It's Bobbins!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Akimbo

Fluffy
A new range of jewellery is launching today -here

Anyone whose Mum or Nana had a button tin (I still have one and I haven't sewn anything since my machine died in 1994!) could cobble together this item (312866) in a couple of minutes! Not only would this attempt get a "See me!" from my sewing teacher, I'd get slapped legs for using the word "Weaved" instead of woven. What is wrong with people these days (old fart rant continuing) - not only has someone thought of making this, others deciding to stock it and worst of all, some fool will buy it: a scrap of thread with mis-matched button oddments for £16 (near as damn it). But wait - there's a matching necklace! The rest of the items look like Lola Rose wannabees. Fill you boots ladies!

:taphead::taphead::taphead::taphead::taphead:

Okay so Mr A has pointed out that "a footballer weaved in and out of the defender" is also accepted as the past participle of the verb to weave (He must be feeling brave to query something when I'm mid-rant!). If something is "woven" the weaver moves the weft alternately thru the warp - it's the same frikking movement, and the term is borrowed from weaving!* Plus the day I cite sports commentary for its linguistic merit is the day they cart me off!
Still ranting!

*I'm from Lancashire...we know this sh!t! - plus "bobbins" is a derogatory term around Manchester and beyond.

Anyone whose Mum or Nana had a button tin (I still have one and I haven't sewn anything since my machine died in 1994!) could cobble together this item (312866) in a couple of minutes! Not only would this attempt get a "See me!" from my sewing teacher, I'd get slapped legs for using the word "Weaved" instead of woven. What is wrong with people these days (old fart rant continuing) - not only has someone thought of making this, others deciding to stock it and worst of all, some fool will buy it: a scrap of thread with mis-matched button oddments for £16 (near as damn it). But wait - there's a matching necklace! The rest of the items look like Lola Rose wannabees. Fill you boots ladies!

Well.At those prices I might just get my button box out and give up the day job.I have lots of different cords too.Blimey.:thinking:

I also see what you mean on the site about weaved/woven.

Last edited:
They also had some awful stone necklaces that looked like Lola Rose had forgotten to cut the humongous raw stones. I think you'd need a neck brace to wear them.

I have looked at the item you linked to and I must say that that was the sort of thing we use to make when I was in Brownies, hence a child of 7 could feasibly put that together (I was not and still not in any way shape or form a crafter), though to be fairly generous to Q the price for these items are not exactly on the expensive side, still as stated it would be easier to get a 'lucky mix' of buttons and some cord and string together yourself!

I can see a future t.s.v ... and each fabulous item will be unique and not on the high street!

When my grand daughter was around 3 years old I went to the Early Learning Centre and bought her a huge plastic container of large wooden threading beads and another set of large plastic buttons with cords to thread them on. I wonder if she still has them now she`s 11 and if so I`ll steal them back, knock up a few bracelets or necklaces, sell them to a few suckers oops I mean customers and split the money with grand daughter.

I think we have something similar in the loft (mine are in their 20s now, but I hung on to too much stuff just in case we had another). Our whole loft is lagged with Beanie Babies!...too much as earrings?:mysmilie_19:

I have seen this brand in the shops and there are a couple of pieces suitable for a summer season and to then chuck at under £15.

However if you add Q postage on it makes it ridiculous, some will be nearly one third of the item price on top.

I think we have something similar in the loft (mine are in their 20s now, but I hung on to too much stuff just in case we had another). Our whole loft is lagged with Beanie Babies!...too much as earrings?:mysmilie_19:

Love this thread :mysmilie_17: I have dozens of eyes peering at me from the display cabinet, not lagging the loft Akimbo, shame on you, especially as one is the Peace bird :mysmilie_15: Blame the weather for your mood, why not! First glance on Q at these jewellery mustnots, I thought they were for children. What an insult to children, they are far more discerning.

I do craft fairs making venetian style masks - see avatar. My mate makes jewellery, and her button brooches, bracelets, necklace and earrings are far superior to these, and all items are well under a fiver ! perhaps she should get her stuff on QVC, because if this can make money then she should be quids in.

Just caught a few minutes when a scarf and brooch sold out; I was gutted......NOT!

Latest posts

Back