Wrong item received but it's better than what I ordered

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Whatsinaname

Registered Shopper
I recently ordered an item in the QVC sale and when it arrived, the invoice was correct but I actually received a completely different and very nice item of a higher value. Do I keep it? Has anyone else had a similar dilemma?

After all the hassle QVC are giving me at the moment, I'd love to hear of someone getting one over them!

Well your invoice is your proof of what they sent (as it were) so keep that if you plan to keep the item as you need deniability! But I doubt they would ever know. I once got the wrong item and the CS woman was amazed and arranged immediate despatch of right item and collection of wrong item. But we also know what they can be like don't we.? It might become a palaver.

I recently ordered an item in the QVC sale and when it arrived, the invoice was correct but I actually received a completely different and very nice item of a higher value. Do I keep it? Has anyone else had a similar dilemma?

It is down to your conscience! Technically it is there fault and as the invoice is correct, thus I am assuming they billed you for the item that you ordered, I was once in a similar dilemma (think I may have mentioned it before on this forum), when I ordered a computer game and a Camera came with different lenses (it was expensive), it clearly was a mix-up, the invoice was for the camera, but I had only been billed for the computer game, it took me ages to sort it out as of course Customer Service had no idea what to do (it wasn't Q it was a well known high-st 'computer world'), but my conscience (and the fact that I didn't want a camera anyway), took over, I think in the end, I had to send the product to the correct recipient myself, (I of course got the cost reimbursed), but it was a complete faff.

The fact that you are mentioning though obviously means you have some sort of conscience, it just depends how who you are going to listen to 'the angel' or the 'the devil'!

Same thing happened to me some years ago. Ordered some skincare (can't remember what brand it was now), and received a Gatineau kit instead. When I added up the value it was alot more expensive then the kit I was surposed to have received, so kept it.

Yep I once ordered a laptop from Tesco Direct and the one I ordered was just under £300 but the one they sent which was the same brand but a far better model was well over £400, in fact not far off £500. My invoice showed the make ,model and price of my original order but obviously the human or machine which picked it off the warehouse shelf got it wrong or it had been placed in the wrong area of the warehouse. Anyway I kept it and am still using it.

i think I must be the odd one out here.

I would give Q one chance, and one only, to either refund your money or supply the original order BEFORE returning the unsolicited goods received.

i think I must be the odd one out here.

I would give Q one chance, and one only, to either refund your money or supply the original order BEFORE returning the unsolicited goods received.

I would feel a compulsion to let them know too but I would expect them to "reward" me by at least giving me a voucher/credit of £10, £20 or more, depending on what the difference in price was, and free postage on whatever was originally ordered, if and when they send that, as it will have been delayed. But probably more fool me as QVC wouldn't recognise honesty or loyalty if it hit them in the face.

If they sent you a cheaper item instead of the one ordered then you would expect them to correct their mistake so the right thing to do is to let them know. However they are a big company who probably can stand the loss. You just need to do whatever you feel comfortable with.

you've done well...with me qvc take the money and i don't get anything back. or even worse they take two lots of money and take several days to pay it back....

I just feel for the opposite side of the mixup: the person who paid for a more expensive item than what they received.
I'd like to think I'd let them know, but I might be weak if I really liked what was in the box... And after all the accumulation of negative experiences with QVC, it does seem like Karmic rebalancing is going on.

Keep it. I once ordered two lots of an item from Peony via QVC. Four lots came but I was only charged for two. Sooooooo, being honest I phoned up and said the order had been doubled by mistake. The unbelievable palaver that was then unleashed involved me having to contact Peony and they were confused, then I was confused and couriers and all sorts had to be arranged by me. Never again. It was a complete hassle and inconvenience as well as downright time consuming for ME to sort it out. Just keep it.

CC

As you didn't actually ask them to send what you got, they can be considered unsolicited goods and the law states that you can keep them. It's part of The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.

As you didn't actually ask them to send what you got, they can be considered unsolicited goods and the law states that you can keep them. It's part of The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.

I disagree that the OP’s goods would fall under the category of unsolicited goods. The latter refer to items sent out of the blue to someone in the hope that the recipient’s forgetfulness will cause a contract to come into existence. With the advent of consumer legislation and awareness on the part of the general public, examples of unsolicited goods are few and far between.

In the OP’s case, goods were ordered from QVC, and the latter dispatched the wrong goods by mistake. The law treats unsolicited goods and goods sent out by mistake very differently.

In the OP’s case, the onus is on the recipient to inform QVC and ask the company to collect the goods within a reasonable time.

Last year, QVC sent me an expensive Elemis set, which I use, instead of an Elemis cleanser. I contacted QVC and the correct order was dispatched immediately; I returned the wrong item by return, and subsequently claimed for the postage.

Whether the OP chooses to keep the goods and hope that QVC will not contact the OP, is the latter’s call. When the same thing happened to me, for personal and professional reasons, I informed QVC immediately. My reasoning was that the goods were not mine to keep, and despite QVC’s less than sterling service over the years, I was not going to stoop to its level. With ‘clean hands’ I can continue - where need be - to criticise its service, goods, and presenters.

Latest posts

Back