Stance

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
I know this is probably going to be the 'randomest' post ever, but I was just wondering what others take on this was (I am guessing that 99.99% of people will never have even thought about what I am about to say), but a bit of 'retail psychology for you!

Does the presenters 'stance' change the way you think about the products and whether you purchase them or not!

The main one I can think of here for example is Yankee Candle. The guests thus the presenters sometimes sit and sometimes stand when presenting these shows (Rosie weirdly now does both), are you more likely to buy if it is in a warm cosy ambient environment or one where they are standing and giving it [the products], almost a 'hard sell'!

If you think about Electronics is usually done in a 'High Street Electronic Shop' sell, fashion is normally done standing (with the main exception of Michelle Hope who sits), food is done standing (supermarket/trade stall esque). As I say I was just wondering on peoples view/stance(sorry couldn't resist) on this, please feel free to disregard and make 'cuckoo noises'! I think my boredom has reached peak levels!

To be honest don't even think about it. I want the details of the product, instructions on use stated clearly. If clothing which I don't buy from QVC, sizes etc again stated clearly. Couldn't care less is someone is sitting or standing, on the high street staff all stand.

Really interesting question YR!

I personally run a mile when approached in shops. If I want help I like to do the approaching.

I love the sat down shows, as they are more "at ease" and generating the impression of friends talking is more achievable.

I find QVC harder and harder to watch as shows are increasingly uncomfortable viewing. The entertainment element of selly telly is rapidly disappearing.

I come on here as much for the chance to chat to the forum community as to find out if Q has anything I'll be interested in buying. My purchasing this year is probably at close to my initial years before I "got the buying bug". Am I cured? Probably not, but am I better? Definitely, yes!

If I was producing the shows I doubt I would want every show done with standing up presenters and guests. I would prefer the variety. I have noticed that in other areas of TV cosier sets are being replaced by harder sets and less comfortable seating.

Signalling different types of products by different styles of sets and standing or sitting according to practical considerations is a great way to prevent boredom setting in and channel flickers from thinking they are still on the same show.

If they are going to stand, Jill F, Catherine, Ali K and others will have to jettison the high heels. Ali Y too... I don't know if she can walk in the heels she sometimes wears, but she cannot stand in them, as we often see her leaning in a weight-bearing way on the counters on shows.

The only time I have taken any notice is on Yankee, when they changed from being seated to standing. That completely changed the ambience from friendly and cosy to standard shop-style, and got many comments. However, has that changed the amount I buy? Sadly NOT!!!!

:mysmilie_59:

When I was interested in watching and buying from Q I can imagine that the cosy v hard stance may have influenced me (subliminally) now anything that has them fidgeting or slouching would annoy the hell out of me.

Much as I love jewellery the clanking on a glass table? Who thought that was a good idea. Grr

Also the constant washing of hands in a bowl of soapy water gets on my thrupenny bits.

Really interesting question YR!

I personally run a mile when approached in shops. If I want help I like to do the approaching.

I love the sat down shows, as they are more "at ease" and generating the impression of friends talking is more achievable.

I find QVC harder and harder to watch as shows are increasingly uncomfortable viewing. The entertainment element of selly telly is rapidly disappearing.

I come on here as much for the chance to chat to the forum community as to find out if Q has anything I'll be interested in buying. My purchasing this year is probably at close to my initial years before I "got the buying bug". Am I cured? Probably not, but am I better? Definitely, yes!

If I was producing the shows I doubt I would want every show done with standing up presenters and guests. I would prefer the variety. I have noticed that in other areas of TV cosier sets are being replaced by harder sets and less comfortable seating.

Signalling different types of products by different styles of sets and standing or sitting according to practical considerations is a great way to prevent boredom setting in and channel flickers from thinking they are still on the same show.

If they are going to stand, Jill F, Catherine, Ali K and others will have to jettison the high heels. Ali Y too... I don't know if she can walk in the heels she sometimes wears, but she cannot stand in them, as we often see her leaning in a weight-bearing way on the counters on shows.

Sometimes though with the different heights of presenters and guest presenters it can make it a bit 'awkward', a case in point is Jenny (Join Clothing), who openly admits she is '5 foot nothing', when compared to practically every other presenter (with exception of the leprechaun), whereas if the presenters are sat down the height difference is not really an issue. I have noticed though that recently they have lost the 'cosiness' shine to the overall atmosphere over the last few months. They have changed the Lunchtime show so that is the presenters and the 'floggers' rather than the 'loose women way' (wonder if they got 'told off'?), I must admit I didn't like that way as you always got one person forever 'butting in' (usually Keely (SP) when she was on with her Elemis products), but now they are thrown the questions and then be 'robotic yes people', this somehow has lost its 'cosiness' surely they could have been an 'in-between'!

Obviously Cooking shows need to be 'standing' but apart from that all other shows could be sat down and in a 'cosier' environment, I think QVC has lost some of the 'cosiness' that they had a few years ago, may be it just me!

It makes no difference to me but I know what you mean. YK standing is for the hard sell to engender panic I think with gift sets or triple big jars. Maybe the powers that be want the presenter standing more to avoid less forceful selling and going into personal monologues about their private lives.

Not bothered whether they stand or sit. I don't like the hanging rail fashion shows, where the presenter 'hangs' onto the end of the rail, it all looks a bit messy. And there have been some beauty products where bright lights have faced the presenters so the faces are lit up like floodlights. Agree with the comments about those in killer heels who have trouble standing, let alone walking (so why wear them ???)'

The news channels sit and stand all the time. Bit ridiculous for them actually, one minute sat at the desk, then the next they're stood up with a piece of paper in their hand, all too contrived.

The show I really found strange was the selling of rugs with the presenter and guest sat on armchairs with each rug on the floor between them.
They sat the whole time, never touched or handled the rugs and the alternative colour choices never got shown live in the studio, just web site swatch pictures shown.

When I was interested in watching and buying from Q I can imagine that the cosy v hard stance may have influenced me (subliminally) now anything that has them fidgeting or slouching would annoy the hell out of me.

Much as I love jewellery the clanking on a glass table? Who thought that was a good idea. Grr

Also the constant washing of hands in a bowl of soapy water gets on my thrupenny bits.

Just so pointless. They really don't need to demonstrate the soap, handwash, shower gel and bubblebath this way. We know how to use it, and it gives us zero information about smell, texture or skin effectiveness. It's just to give them something to do. Like spraying clouds of perfume as if it was air freshener in a particularly stinky room :mysmilie_11:

The show I really found strange was the selling of rugs with the presenter and guest sat on armchairs with each rug on the floor between them.
They sat the whole time, never touched or handled the rugs and the alternative colour choices never got shown live in the studio, just web site swatch pictures shown.

Maybe they were both allergic :mysmilie_7:

ideal world is far easier to watch than qvc,,its normally really funny and they sell items i would buy at good prices.

I watched the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills this evening, and one of the QVC guests Lisa Rinna was travelling to Philadelphia to show her wares for one hour on QVC, in the waiting area she met Izaac Mizrahi they were discussing the shows, and she said words to the effect what's not to love, she could sell more of her line by appearing on QVC for one hour than she could in her Boutique in a year - pretty much what we all thought was the reason for so many selling on Q.

But it was good to hear one of them admit it.

I should imagine that zillion of dollars have been spent by companies to test if sitting or standing, looking left, male with female/female with female has any effect on sales.

I have watched numerous TV shows about how stores place certain goods in certain places, how we enter a shop and all automatically turn in the same direction even if there is an obstacle in the way, lights, colour, smell and am always amazed at how accurate it seems to be.

So I reckon it is all thought out - or knowing how crap Q is at everything perhaps it's just because the camera man is too tall/short to have them sitting!

Sitting or standing makes no difference if DF is hard sell finger pointing, two female presenters hysterical, Dale flirting, Charlie on his snooze best, AK 100mph, KT erm erming, CE incredibilising etc etc etc ........................................ I switch off.

ideal world is far easier to watch than qvc,,its normally really funny and they sell items i would buy at good prices.

Yes I agree, you don't realise how frantic and rushed QVC is till you turn immediately over to IW and it's a much calmer pace, less rushed. I only buy from IW now, last thing I bought was the Remington floating air plate straighteners, great timing as mine had just broke, and I can honestly say are brilliant, best price around too. :mysmilie_14:

What I don't get is, they're sitting on ornate, fancy chairs, with a cushion shoved under their arse, I often think, you can't all have piles, so why doesn't QVC dip in to those massive profits and invest in some comfortable chairs? If they think it's all about presentation, news flash, it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Oh Shopaholic I wish I could agree with you on IW the times I've watched I've ended up switching off or over to another channel. Q is now the only shopping channel I watch, I find them easier to watch (the ones I like) I so dislike the presents on IW there is not one of them I'd be persuaded to purchase from, and I also dislike the fact that you can't contact them on air - sorry to disagree with you because normally I don't.

Latest posts

Back