Pseudo-science / jargon

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
What are the most meaningless / empty phrases used by QVC? On the surface they sound impressive but what do they actually mean?

I just tuned into "Supersize Your Beauty" to see Margaret Dabbs and Julia Roberts waxing lyrical about an overpriced foot cream. "It's so much more than just a foot cream," gushed Julia. Really Julia? Tell me more! "Because it's podiatrist-developed" and prevents drying out of the feet," she went on to say. So it's just an overpriced foot cream then? Just because it's "podiatrist-developed" what does that actually mean? It's like a house that's been "architect-designed."

Earlier they were flogging some hand cream (admittedly quite large sizes - 2 x 400ml) for £42. OK I know it's Gatineau but so what? My Inecto coconut hand cream costs £1 per 75mls so would work out at just over 25% of the price, and it's brilliant.

Julia Roberts then went on to say how she always buys large sizes because it's more cost-effective. This may be true when compared to the "regular price" but that's not really representative of anything. Why do QVC insist on touting all these overpriced products as though our lives depend on them? The high street is full of brilliant alternatives available at a fraction of the price!

So what are the most impressive phrases used and just how meaningless are they? Which presenters / hours are the worst?

I would nominate Glen Campbell and his "fashion-forward."

"made by artisans", "artisan-made" or worst of all "artisanal" said by anyone would provoke a slap if I were within arm's length! Artisans in a factory or in a sweat shop?

I find all the jargon crap, they come out with all scientific clap trap with not an ounce of proof to back it up, sometimes just a piece of cardboard with how 98% found it amazing! but still, not an ounce of proof to back it up. They must know how ridiculous they sound but hey if they can blind just a couple of people with (absolute bollocks) sorry, I mean "science" without an ounce of proof to back their "findings" up, they'll be too busy laughing all the way to the bank to prove anything, I honestly don't know how they get away with it, I really don't.

I find the longer, most make up gobbledygook scientific SOUNDING (not actual) ingredients, the more it is going to cost for a lump of basic cold cream.

Years ago we used to say we were paying for fancy packaging but have noticed that now it seems to be - put a doctors name somewhere in it and package it in the most basic pharmaceutical brown bottle to give the impression it is medically developed rather than some beauty brand churning out last years product revamped.

I find the longer, most make up gobbledygook scientific SOUNDING (not actual) ingredients, the more it is going to cost for a lump of basic cold cream.

Years ago we used to say we were paying for fancy packaging but have noticed that now it seems to be - put a doctors name somewhere in it and package it in the most basic pharmaceutical brown bottle to give the impression it is medically developed rather than some beauty brand churning out last years product revamped.

Like "Perri-CON."

The beauty products are the worst, and when the conversation starts on peptides etc my eyes glaze over. Likewise with the technical spiel from Lee with the daft haircut, once he gets into 'blinding you with science mode' with all the 'bites' in creation, I switch off.

I think the worst of the lot was that skin range that the psychotherapist Dr Linda Papadopoulos used to do for QVC. Apparently we were supposed to believe that the gunk in her plastic tubes had something to do with our minds. Psychodermatology? Bollocks! No wonder it didn't last long.

The ones that make us pretend we are doctors and nurses with their pseudo medical names and sharing type of delivery systems make me chortle.

It must work. I wonder if some sutomers do dress up in white coats or nurses dresses ...

That was why Clinique staff were made to wear white coats, to give the impression it was a cut above other beauty brands.

It isn't of course, but how many have been lured in by that, there are some gullible people around. The same sort that believe everything they are told by Qs beauty guests.

That was why Clinique staff were made to wear white coats, to give the impression it was a cut above other beauty brands.

It isn't of course, but how many have been lured in by that, there are some gullible people around. The same sort that believe everything they are told by Qs beauty guests.

Clinique do some amazing products though. Their instant pore minimiser is nothing short of miraculous!

elemis keeley makes me lol when she's on..sythesising the skin and her insistance that the toner step must never be missed at your peril

elemis keeley makes me lol when she's on..sythesising the skin and her insistance that the toner step must never be missed at your peril

Keeeleeee
Bless her. She seems lovely and has done very well for herself. But she does come up with some unbelievably ridiculous stuff.

I know this thread is mainly about 'beauty' dare I use the word 'gunk' (yep I dare), but what makes me 'roll my eyes' is LH (tech) when he goes on about his 'coming off contract' and he 'wishes he has hours', what really gets me though is the fact that the ipads are 'machine tuned' in a factory, not 'mass-produced' in a factory in China, nope they may not be mass-produced (which technically they are as how many millions have been sold?), that aside, however they are made, they are still made in China, He (LH) is very good at taking people just on the edge of the garden path but not quite fully down it! Though I suppose that is true for all 'selly telly'!

Latest posts

Back