Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    IDEAL WORLD BRINGS YOU WATCH WEEK

    Join us for a week dedicated to gorgeous timepieces where you can save up to 40% from 9pm on Sunday 12th November.

    Join Ideal World this week, where we will be sharing some of our most popular brands at unbelievable prices. From our old favourites Vostok Europe to newer brands such as Karen Millen and Timberland, there is sure to be something to suit everyone.

    Ideal World will be hosting a variety of shows throughout the week, offering limited editions, gifts with purchases and even UK and World exclusives.....

    READ MORE

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 17
    1. #1
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Posts
      72
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default Christmas in July: Sale? Really?

      Is it me?

      Adina just auctioned a white gold solitaire neon apatite ring with an 8x6 stone and 1.55g gold (bear in mind that's an average weight across all sizes). She said - and I quote - "Normally on at 299, Christmas in July available at 199".

      What?!! Really?!! 200 for that gold weight and an included stone (stunning colour though, I must admit) at sale price? That sort of ring used to be about 149 (NOT 300!) and a sale price might be 129 or slightly lower if you were lucky.





      Is it me?
      Last edited by AndyW; 24-07-2017 at 09:48 PM.
      Likes historymystery liked this post
       

    2. # ADS
      Advertisment Circuit advertisement
      Join Date
      Always
      Posts
      Many
       
    3. #2
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Posts
      11,584
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      I caught a bit of her yesterday morning(we get freeview in work on the TV in tea room), and it was all Harrods, Next sale which people go into a frenzy over. I go into sales and buy this which was 200 and get for 20 etc etc etc etc. One of the women I work with ask what the hell was the cupid stunt on about? She wanted to know where this sale was? This was the 200 stuff at 20.

      The greatest sale in the history of Gems etc, but wasn't that the sale they had last month too???

      Oh, I am famous in work for shouting at the channel(if on),'What's the gold weight? That is rubbish!'
      Likes angel.vamp , puffin48 liked this post
       
      DONNA

    4.    Price Crash TV

    5. #3
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Posts
      48
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      Totlally agree Andy, i mean a sale, what sale, if anything the prices are far higher and they have had complaints about their so called sales before and where did they find that David Troth and does he have any qualifications for anything, he only joined gems last year, far too much of the heavy sales patter and everything is now rare, do they really think the customers are that dim, it all smacks of desperation to me.

    6. #4
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Posts
      3,119
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      No, it isn't you - as has been posted elsewhere, their prices have rocketed - and for much lower quality, too! All the presenters talk b&ll&&ks on this channel, but Adina gabbles, stammers and gasps her way through, and there's no logic to most of what she says (mainly because she never finishes a word properly, let alone a sentence). Apatite is not an expensive stone, and to set it in 1.55g of gold shows that the quality just isn't there, either in the stone or the mount, so 299 is just ridiculous, a more realistic price would be 59-69. This so-called "Christmas in July" event, and the "sales" that go with it are fantasy - they just seem to be making up the prices as they go along, and I bet they are being left with most of the stock (and no doubt much of it will be returned, when people see how flimsy some of the pieces are when they get them). Earth calling Gems : get a reality check. And I'm sure we've noticed how they keep on harping on the easy-pay payment amount - has Peter Simon been drafted in to give them lessons, I wonder?

      Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
      Is it me?

      Adina just auctioned a white gold solitaire neon apatite ring with an 8x6 stone and 1.55g gold (bear in mind that's an average weight across all sizes). She said - and I quote - "Normally on at 299, Christmas in July available at 199".

      What?!! Really?!! 200 for that gold weight and an included stone (stunning colour though, I must admit) at sale price? That sort of ring used to be about 149 (NOT 300!) and a sale price might be 129 or slightly lower if you were lucky.

      Is it me?
      Likes AndyW liked this post
       

    7. #5
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Posts
      72
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      Wow. Now I am shocked. Kate & Dave Troth just auctioned an emerald solitaire with (yes, average again but it's important) 1.15g of gold. They want 99 in the "sale".





      A chain would be just about ok at that weight. The lowest I have ever seen. What the hell would size J/K weigh?! I have attached a screenshot from the app to prove it. I really hate to say this but if they go any lower, the spectre of Ratners looms...

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-27-20-57-15.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	14368
      Likes angel.vamp , historymystery liked this post
       

    8. #6
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Posts
      3,119
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      It's beyond help now - I'm just waiting for the day I flick over to the channel, and there's a blank screen because they've "done a Lord Lucan". The Bennetts are arrogant - they just do not listen to customers.

      Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
      Wow. Now I am shocked. Kate & Dave Troth just auctioned an emerald solitaire with (yes, average again but it's important) 1.15g of gold. They want 99 in the "sale".

      A chain would be just about ok at that weight. The lowest I have ever seen. What the hell would size J/K weigh?! I have attached a screenshot from the app to prove it. I really hate to say this but if they go any lower, the spectre of Ratners looms...

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-27-20-57-15.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	14368
      Thanks AndyW thanked for this post
       

    9.    Gemporia

    10. #7
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      On the phone/not the web!
      Posts
      6,823
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by missmarple View Post
      Totlally agree Andy, i mean a sale, what sale, if anything the prices are far higher and they have had complaints about their so called sales before and where did they find that David Troth and does he have any qualifications for anything, he only joined gems last year, far too much of the heavy sales patter and everything is now rare, do they really think the customers are that dim, it all smacks of desperation to me.
      I thought I heard David Troth say he'd been working at Gems for the last ten years but behind the scenes? Or was it the other guy that comes on with the glasses?.....sorry, I can't remember his name

    11. #8
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Posts
      48
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      On David Troth facebook page it states he started working for Gems in 2015. I think you might mean the other named Jake, who is married i think to one of Bennetts daughters.
      Thanks Mommabear thanked for this post
       

    12.    Crafting.co.uk

    13. #9
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      On the phone/not the web!
      Posts
      6,823
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by missmarple View Post
      On David Troth facebook page it states he started working for Gems in 2015. I think you might mean the other named Jake, who is married i think to one of Bennetts daughters.
      Ah yes, Jake, that's him. I prefer him as he doesn't interrupt the presenter, like David does.

    14. #10
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Posts
      3,119
      Post Thanks / Like

      Default

      Hi Mommabear, I think the bloke you mean is Jake Thompson-Bennett, who is married to Steve's eldest daughter, Hannah. Jake is (I think) one of their gem buyers, as I think I heard him say so on a couple of occasions. I am completely bewildered as to where David Troth came from, I can't remember him from 'years ago', although he seems to imply he's been around for yonks. Having two people presenting is OK once in a while, if the guest has something worthwhile to say, but it gets on my wick when they keep on bringing in the same people who say the same things over and over - it's just morphing into the same presenting style as TJC in my book, except TJC's 'double headers' are even more dire.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mommabear View Post
      I thought I heard David Troth say he'd been working at Gems for the last ten years but behind the scenes? Or was it the other guy that comes on with the glasses?.....sorry, I can't remember his name

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •