Christmas in July: Sale? Really?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AndyW

Registered Shopper
Is it me?

Adina just auctioned a white gold solitaire neon apatite ring with an 8x6 stone and 1.55g gold (bear in mind that's an average weight across all sizes). She said - and I quote - "Normally on at £299, Christmas in July available at £199".

What?!! Really?!! £200 for that gold weight and an included stone (stunning colour though, I must admit) at sale price? That sort of ring used to be about £149 (NOT £300!) and a sale price might be £129 or slightly lower if you were lucky.

Is it me?

Last edited:
I caught a bit of her yesterday morning(we get freeview in work on the TV in tea room), and it was all Harrods, Next sale which people go into a frenzy over. I go into sales and buy this which was £200 and get for £20 etc etc etc etc. One of the women I work with ask what the hell was the cupid stunt on about?:mysmilie_19: She wanted to know where this sale was? This was the £200 stuff at £20.

The greatest sale in the history of Gems etc, but wasn't that the sale they had last month too???

Oh, I am famous in work for shouting at the channel(if on),'What's the gold weight? That is rubbish!':mysmilie_17:

Totlally agree Andy, i mean a sale, what sale, if anything the prices are far higher and they have had complaints about their so called sales before and where did they find that David Troth and does he have any qualifications for anything, he only joined gems last year, far too much of the heavy sales patter and everything is now rare, do they really think the customers are that dim, it all smacks of desperation to me.

No, it isn't you - as has been posted elsewhere, their prices have rocketed - and for much lower quality, too! All the presenters talk b&ll&&ks on this channel, but Adina gabbles, stammers and gasps her way through, and there's no logic to most of what she says (mainly because she never finishes a word properly, let alone a sentence). Apatite is not an expensive stone, and to set it in 1.55g of gold shows that the quality just isn't there, either in the stone or the mount, so £299 is just ridiculous, a more realistic price would be £59-£69. This so-called "Christmas in July" event, and the "sales" that go with it are fantasy - they just seem to be making up the prices as they go along, and I bet they are being left with most of the stock (and no doubt much of it will be returned, when people see how flimsy some of the pieces are when they get them). Earth calling Gems : get a reality check. And I'm sure we've noticed how they keep on harping on the easy-pay payment amount - has Peter Simon been drafted in to give them lessons, I wonder?

Is it me?

Adina just auctioned a white gold solitaire neon apatite ring with an 8x6 stone and 1.55g gold (bear in mind that's an average weight across all sizes). She said - and I quote - "Normally on at £299, Christmas in July available at £199".

What?!! Really?!! £200 for that gold weight and an included stone (stunning colour though, I must admit) at sale price? That sort of ring used to be about £149 (NOT £300!) and a sale price might be £129 or slightly lower if you were lucky.

Is it me?

Wow. Now I am shocked. Kate & Dave Troth just auctioned an emerald solitaire with (yes, average again but it's important) 1.15g of gold. They want £99 in the "sale".

A chain would be just about ok at that weight. The lowest I have ever seen. What the hell would size J/K weigh?! I have attached a screenshot from the app to prove it. I really hate to say this but if they go any lower, the spectre of Ratners looms...

Screenshot_2017-07-27-20-57-15.jpg

It's beyond help now - I'm just waiting for the day I flick over to the channel, and there's a blank screen because they've "done a Lord Lucan". The Bennetts are arrogant - they just do not listen to customers.

Wow. Now I am shocked. Kate & Dave Troth just auctioned an emerald solitaire with (yes, average again but it's important) 1.15g of gold. They want £99 in the "sale".

A chain would be just about ok at that weight. The lowest I have ever seen. What the hell would size J/K weigh?! I have attached a screenshot from the app to prove it. I really hate to say this but if they go any lower, the spectre of Ratners looms...

View attachment 14368

Totlally agree Andy, i mean a sale, what sale, if anything the prices are far higher and they have had complaints about their so called sales before and where did they find that David Troth and does he have any qualifications for anything, he only joined gems last year, far too much of the heavy sales patter and everything is now rare, do they really think the customers are that dim, it all smacks of desperation to me.

I thought I heard David Troth say he'd been working at Gems for the last ten years but behind the scenes? Or was it the other guy that comes on with the glasses?.....sorry, I can't remember his name

On David Troth facebook page it states he started working for Gems in 2015. I think you might mean the other named Jake, who is married i think to one of Bennetts daughters.

Hi Mommabear, I think the bloke you mean is Jake Thompson-Bennett, who is married to Steve's eldest daughter, Hannah. Jake is (I think) one of their gem buyers, as I think I heard him say so on a couple of occasions. I am completely bewildered as to where David Troth came from, I can't remember him from 'years ago', although he seems to imply he's been around for yonks. Having two people presenting is OK once in a while, if the guest has something worthwhile to say, but it gets on my wick when they keep on bringing in the same people who say the same things over and over - it's just morphing into the same presenting style as TJC in my book, except TJC's 'double headers' are even more dire.
I thought I heard David Troth say he'd been working at Gems for the last ten years but behind the scenes? Or was it the other guy that comes on with the glasses?.....sorry, I can't remember his name

I think they have been reading on here and taking notice. Sarah Bennett is on at 5 today launching her new collection!!

So we have more sale days but a "flash" sale. Mmmm. Some utter tosh by Vicki Carr last night about having a four hour show in clearance because of Bank Holiday Monday. Oh but wait, there's more - everything on Split Pay!

Yet it continues today...

2.02g AVERAGE gold ring and oh my, SO heavily included tourmaline for a reduced bargain price of £129.

Switch over to R&C and they're selling stunning designs with G colour SI diamonds at quite reasonable prices.

Cheers, AndyW. I switched over to Rocks & Co. yesterday and agree - the jewellery (especially the diamonds - I saw what they said were SI clarity G colour grade diamonds) - for pretty reasonable prices, assuming the reality matches the chat when you get them home. I didn't watch Rocks for a long time, because I thought their prices were ridiculous and the presenters (such as screeching Vicki, Sally Jax's sister by another mother) were dreadful, but I have to say Kieron was presenting and he was quite calm, so perhaps Rocks have changed their MO. The show was pacey too, no long drawn out superlatives and over-acting, just selling jewellery, although it's true there wasn't much detail about the source or history of the stones for anyone who is a beginner to gem-collecting.
Vicki Carr of Gems is irritating - I like to hear different accents but her deliberately prolonged pronunciation of 'gold' as 'goooulllllld' really gets on my wick, it's so false. Totally agree that the prices in the so-called 'sale' last night were off the wall when I was watching - and if the metal gets any thinner the item will disintegrate in the post!

So we have more sale days but a "flash" sale. Mmmm. Some utter tosh by Vicki Carr last night about having a four hour show in clearance because of Bank Holiday Monday. Oh but wait, there's more - everything on Split Pay!

it continues today...

2.02g AVERAGE gold ring and oh my, SO heavily included tourmaline for a reduced bargain price of £129.

Switch over to R&C and they're selling stunning designs with G colour SI diamonds at quite reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Is Vicki Carr standing in for Kate whilst she is away til the end of September. I do hope not she drives me nuts

Judging by what was said last night, I think it's going to be either Vicki or Adina. So we are spoilt for choice (not). What with Vicki who never stops talking and exaggerating her accent on certain words and Adina who never finishes a word, let alone a sentence, stumbles over her words, constantly corrects herself and waves her hands around as though she's a racecourse bookie giving the odds, there's not much choice. Vicki mentioned last night that she loves her job so much that she never minds doing extra hours. Sorry, Vicki, the feeling 'ain't mutual.

Is Vicki Carr standing in for Kate whilst she is away til the end of September. I do hope not she drives me nuts

Last edited:
Judging by what was said last night, I think it's going to be either Vicki or Adina. So we are spoilt for choice (not). What with Vicki who never stops talking and exaggerating her accent on certain words and Adina who never finishes a word, let alone a sentence, stumbles over her words, constantly corrects herself and waves her hands around as though she's a racecourse bookie giving the odds, there's not much choice. Vicki mentioned last night that she loves her job so much that she never minds doing extra hours. Sorry, Vicki, the feeling 'ain't mutual.

Spot on. Well I shant be watching either of them. I was hoping they would get Heather Wish in. I quite like her as she's not hard sell. I used to like Hattie but she's falling into the same mode as the others. Still like Jim because hes like an excited schoolboy.

Latest posts

Back