Advanced Orders

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
Hello peeps,

I know that this is another thread that has had previous threads, but again....

Any case I am wondering if there is a case for going to OFCOM (or whoever), regarding Advanced Orders, I have caught a bit of the Dimonique (SP) hour and they were stating that one of the pieces would not be available until the 11th September, but as always they would deliver sooner if the stock came in. Now the item was around £30 and whilst I know some people wouldn't necessarily 'miss that' from their bank account, I feel that the vast majority would, whether it be from a OCD with their finances point of view, or because they really have to budget hard and use Q as the occasional 'treat'. Now I know this has been discussed before on this forum, but surely there must be some legislation or something, because in effect they are selling something that they haven't got, thus people are reserving stock not 100% knowing when or indeed if (lets not forget the channel we are discussing), so surely this does 'sail close to the wind', with regards to selling.

I suppose even Q has a 'cut-off' point and wouldn't for example sell a TV for a £1000 with no EP on advance orders, but it does make you wonder how high they would go. I know they do it from the 'accounting', but I still do feel it is a very grey area and only 'just' this side of legal practice.

I think QVC have their asses covered by stating an item may be available sooner. Quite a few places even Amazon do it too. I order the boxset of a particular TV show and they have the release date, but it can come in sooner it all depends on the manufacturer/distributor. So I think the same will apply to QVC, they do not actually make whatever themselves its made for them. Gemstv make all their jewellery themselves so they manufacturer it but QVC do not.

Now QVC did long ago say if they did not have the product in the warehouse they were not allow to sell it. But since the inform customers it is advanced that is different. Now if the presenter does not tell you that said item might come into stock early you might have a case there. Whether Ofcom would do anything about it is another matter.

Also there could be a case of you ordered therefore should have the money set aside for it when you actually order item. Its not up to QVC or whoever to police your bank account and if you have the money to buy it or not.

I think QVC have their asses covered by stating an item may be available sooner. Quite a few places even Amazon do it too. I order the boxset of a particular TV show and they have the release date, but it can come in sooner it all depends on the manufacturer/distributor. So I think the same will apply to QVC, they do not actually make whatever themselves its made for them. Gemstv make all their jewellery themselves so they manufacturer it but QVC do not.

Now QVC did long ago say if they did not have the product in the warehouse they were not allow to sell it. But since the inform customers it is advanced that is different. Now if the presenter does not tell you that said item might come into stock early you might have a case there. Whether Ofcom would do anything about it is another matter.

Also there could be a case of you ordered therefore should have the money set aside for it when you actually order item. Its not up to QVC or whoever to police your bank account and if you have the money to buy it or not.

Yeah, I agree with all that you have stated, I myself would never order from Q anyway, but watching it (white noise), it seems to be that more and more items (from all the different shows), are becoming advance orders, or they are not enough in the warehouse, so I was wondering whether they have reduced the size of the warehouse (unlikely seen as from looking at companies house (yes that is how 'sad' I am), they seem to be pretty 'healthy', or they are genuinely 'caught out', which I suppose in some instances they could be, or the supplier can only supply a limited quantity now, with a 'promise' for more later, but what if that promise never materialises, I know other companies do it, I was once 'caught out' myself when I had pre-ordered a games console, that I have 'forgotten about', then noticed that a substantial amount of money had left my account and had to trace back, fortunately it got sorted quickly, so I guess the moral is as you say to 'check and police' strictly!

I should think they have themselves covered legally.I don't think they say often enough that it might be taken out of your account sooner. I hardly ever do advanced orders.I have the OPI anniversary set on AO but that's the first thing in years.
I can't imagine Q doing much that will get them into trouble .

I often wonder about the easy pays .I think Chloe in particular always emphasises the easy pay price first as though its the full cost, before she gives the full price .Some of the others do that too. They rarely mention the postage.

Usually when I order something on Advanced Order I have time to think & cancel, as I have done lately.I wonder how many sales they loose in this way? or people get fed up with the wait.More & more seems to be on AO which makes me think they do not need to hold the depth of stock in the Warehouse and are supplying to order (unless you are like me & tend to cancel!)

Usually when I order something on Advanced Order I have time to think & cancel, as I have done lately.I wonder how many sales they loose in this way? or people get fed up with the wait.More & more seems to be on AO which makes me think they do not need to hold the depth of stock in the Warehouse and are supplying to order (unless you are like me & tend to cancel!)

I've been ordering the more expensive tsvs on advanced order which gives me time to really think 'do I really need it or want it' and have cancelled after a few days both times since I've come to my senses (£60 plus postage) isn't a necessity. I appreciate others won't agree with my methods but it does make you think and gives you more time to decide if you really want it 🙄

Exactly Bigbean! They offer the opportunity to cancel an item on AO so if you change your mind you save the P&P & return why not? It's surprising what a bit of thinking time can do.I remember the day when you had to act quickly especially on TSVs or they had sold out.Now that is something of a rarity.It has been said quite a few times if we were in a shop & were handing over cash would we make some of these purchases? I have to admit my answer would be NO.

Exactly Bigbean! They offer the opportunity to cancel an item on AO so if you change your mind you save the P&P & return why not? It's surprising what a bit of thinking time can do.I remember the day when you had to act quickly especially on TSVs or they had sold out.Now that is something of a rarity.It has been said quite a few times if we were in a shop & were handing over cash would we make some of these purchases? I have to admit my answer would be NO.

That reminded me of a Dawn Bibby TSV, it was Chinese takeaway boxes filled with words and sayings. Everyone was talking about the TSV before it's launch and it sold out by 12:10 am. I remember Dawn being amazed, her and JJ has spent ages doing sample boards. I have never seen any like it before or since

Hello peeps,

I know that this is another thread that has had previous threads, but again....

Any case I am wondering if there is a case for going to OFCOM (or whoever), regarding Advanced Orders, I have caught a bit of the Dimonique (SP) hour and they were stating that one of the pieces would not be available until the 11th September, but as always they would deliver sooner if the stock came in. Now the item was around £30 and whilst I know some people wouldn't necessarily 'miss that' from their bank account, I feel that the vast majority would, whether it be from a OCD with their finances point of view, or because they really have to budget hard and use Q as the occasional 'treat'. Now I know this has been discussed before on this forum, but surely there must be some legislation or something, because in effect they are selling something that they haven't got, thus people are reserving stock not 100% knowing when or indeed if (lets not forget the channel we are discussing), so surely this does 'sail close to the wind', with regards to selling.

I suppose even Q has a 'cut-off' point and wouldn't for example sell a TV for a £1000 with no EP on advance orders, but it does make you wonder how high they would go. I know they do it from the 'accounting', but I still do feel it is a very grey area and only 'just' this side of legal practice.

I do think that Q are a bit sneaky when it comes to advanced orders. On more than one occasion the presenters have specifically announced that ' maybe you're waiting for another payday, and this enables you to order now and the payment won't be taken till after that date'. With a small child and now a part -time job this has sometimes ' swung' my decision to order only to find the item turning up two weeks early dropping me severely in the 'brown stuff' ! Yes, I realise that it's MY decision to order and as has been said , it's not their job to police my bank account. However it IS their job to not mislead people in order to secure an order ( although I notice some do say it will be despatched earlier should it come into stock) What is the point then, in the whole 'if you're waiting for payday' technique?!

Who remembers people ordering and paying by cheque? Because you had x amount of days to post it in, gave time to read the reviews before finally deciding whether you really wanted it.

QVC where very very quick at stopping the cheque payment well before other stores did as it stopped that. I remember someone on here getting a letter about cancelling too many orders as they had time to think before sending it. This was back when it was frenzy as TSVs sold out so quickly.

Who remembers people ordering and paying by cheque? Because you had x amount of days to post it in, gave time to read the reviews before finally deciding whether you really wanted it.

QVC where very very quick at stopping the cheque payment well before other stores did as it stopped that. I remember someone on here getting a letter about cancelling too many orders as they had time to think before sending it. This was back when it was frenzy as TSVs sold out so quickly.

Yes I would put my purchase on cheque pay and waited to see the reviews, but it wasn't me who got the letter for doing this.

I've been ordering the more expensive tsvs on advanced order which gives me time to really think 'do I really need it or want it' and have cancelled after a few days both times since I've come to my senses (£60 plus postage) isn't a necessity. I appreciate others won't agree with my methods but it does make you think and gives you more time to decide if you really want it
I also like taking advantage of the Advanced Orders, mostly to buy the time, now that cheque payments are no longer available.

The 'problem' is when ordering over the telly/computer is the money is not a physical thing, it is just numbers from a card and because you/I don't physically hand over the money then it doesn't 'feel' like the money has actually gone (until one actually looks at their bank account/credit card account) and realises that those 'numbers' actually mean something!

Latest posts

Back