Dreaded high street

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Can QVC please update their spiel ?

Constant references to the High Street is a bit outdated now. Does anyone on here still HAVE a High Street ? I know where I live our once thriving main shopping thoroughfare is now awash with betting shops, discount stores, charity shops, building societies, coffee shops and boarded up premises.

For fashion of any description its the Malls - whether in an arcade or out of town, oh and with freeeeee parking Q !!! so this talk of the dreaded High Street may have been fine when Q first aired back in the early 90's, but like their fashions ranges their spiel needs to be updated too.

We have a high street here in Chelmsford, it's rather nice. John Lewis opened a store last year in a new development and now we've also got a L'Occitane, Cath Kidston, Foyles Books, new cinema and restaurants. Not to forget the infamous market with lots of lookee-Likey QVC 'fashion' :mysmilie_17:

Oops I forgot the Valerie's Patisserie that's opened up inside Debenhams YUM :mysmilie_5:

Our local High Street shops are a joke, however there are some decent shopping towns within 30 miles albeit the best shops are in Malls within the town.

I live a 20min bus ride from Blue water and 20 mins drive to Lakeside, with all the shops I can wish for. I only watch QVC for ideas now. Last night I was quite interested in the Mia Tui bags and found some good offers on the company's own website. QVC need to realise that a lot of their customers are now computer savvy and prepared to do a little research.

Do have a high street but not much of interest on it. Mobile phone shops, charity shops, pound shops, a M & S, Boots, Next, TK Maxx, TJ Hughes and Superdrug. Quite a few coffee shops where the locals sit outside amongst the pigeons and their droppings.

Thankfully Cheshire Oaks is not too far away - where parking is free. Or I can catch a train to Liverpool for Liverpool One.

live a couple of miles from oxford street enough said and westfield shepherds bush is a bus ride away.i have loads of choice

I live a 20min bus ride from Blue water and 20 mins drive to Lakeside, with all the shops I can wish for. I only watch QVC for ideas now. Last night I was quite interested in the Mia Tui bags and found some good offers on the company's own website. QVC need to realise that a lot of their customers are now computer savvy and prepared to do a little research.

I purchased a duo of their bags a while ago and wasn't impressed at all.

No choice of colours, one bronze (just about acceptable) and a ****** awful "1950's baby dummy pink"

Very cheaply made, plasticity, no style at all.

Worth about £5 for the 2 and that is being very generous.

The reviews on QVC were quite good and on their own website they have a special offer of cross body bag, washbag and shopper for £24, p & p free. Have ordered the pewter so will wait and see what I think when they arrive!

I agree brissles, don't bother with the "Dreaded High Street" when I've got the World of shopping at my fingertips, all from the comfort of sitting on me bum (see how polite I was there. :mysmilie_17:)

Plus, they also forget that large supermarkets, like Asda/Tescos/Sainsbury's stock pretty much everything there is now, so you can grab a top, a bin or a bit of beauty all while doing your weekly shop, and with free parking to boot. :mysmilie_14:

Westfield Stratford is very near ,I can walk to it . .But it gets so crowded and noisy.Especially now West Ham are in the Olympic Stadium .I avoid it on any match days.
I much prefer the old Stratford high Street it replaced. No free parking in Westfield though .They keep hiking the charges up.

My local high street is all chicken shops and betting shops as others have said .Oh and nail bars springing up.

Westfield Stratford is very near ,I can walk to it . .But it gets so crowded and noisy.Especially now West Ham are in the Olympic Stadium .I avoid it on any match days.
I much prefer the old Stratford high Street it replaced. No free parking in Westfield though .They keep hiking the charges up.

My local high street is all chicken shops and betting shops as others have said .Oh and nail bars springing up.

thats london for you most high streets have been left to rot in favour of the super sized shopping centres.

In Muswell Hill we have the "High Road" actually, and some rather nice shops there are, too. I generally have breakfast at Planet Organic on a Sunday morning before going out for a drive in one of my vehicles up to Oxford for a spin in the plane. If I want pound shops I go to Kilburn which has them in abundance. I do love a good pound shop and have thought to do a thread on "pound shop alternatives" to QVC products.

I hate the expression 'High Street' especially when American guests are on, as in the States (you'd think Q staff would know this, since it's an American Co.) they don't have 'high streets' so it must totally confuse them at best when they hear our presenters harp on about 'compare to high street' bilge.

Another thing that always irks me is the constant referral in beauty hours to 'your regular skincare regime from the High Street and Supermarket' I can honestly say that in my 60 plus years, I've never once got my skincare from a supermarket. I started out in the 60s using Lancome from a high end store. I find these presenters so patronizing.

If you have a high street odds are it will include Boots .They sell some high end Skincare in the main branches.I gave up buying skincare from Q as Westfield is just down the road .i buy Liz Earle from Boots .I used to get Philosophy there.I go to John Lewis for my Iris Oil.
I find if ordering TSVs and packs I end up with loads of bottles and tubes I don't want and never use .John Lewis always give me free samples .So do Clarins at Liverpool Street Boots.

Q has to use the High street comparison to justify some of their prices and postage.if they label it "dreaded" then it discourages people from looking further afield.

If you have a high street odds are it will include Boots .They sell some high end Skincare in the main branches.I gave up buying skincare from Q as Westfield is just down the road .i buy Liz Earle from Boots .I used to get Philosophy there.I go to John Lewis for my Iris Oil.
I find if ordering TSVs and packs I end up with loads of bottles and tubes I don't want and never use .John Lewis always give me free samples .So do Clarins at Liverpool Street Boots.

Q has to use the High street comparison to justify some of their prices and postage.if they label it "dreaded" then it discourages people from looking further afield.

THe "High Street," far from being the place of all evil QVC would like us to believe it to be, is full of amazing shops with amazing things. One shop stands out in particular, Argos.

I have long made a point of posting about high street alternatives to QVC, often just as good, if not better, than QVC's products and at a fraction of the price. I am increasingly seeing QVC as little more than a rip-off.

Philip Kingsley was little more than a snake oil salesman. He was quite known for his little trick of booking all his appointments for the same time at his Mayfair clinic, just to make himself seem busier than he actually was and bolster demand.

He did little more than wash Audrey Hepburn's hair. If I'd stuck her head under a tap, lathered a but of Pantene and rinsed for a few seconds could I have called myself a trichologist.

I find it quite odd that in 2017 QVC think shopping is only between them and the High Street. Saying that though, Argos do same day delivery for £3.95, something QVC will never, ever be able to match, I mean they can't even do next day delivery it was a total shambles when they tried, a company of that size it's shameful. They've not evolved in 23 years and wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they still use an abacus to add the customers order up.

I always check out Argos and Wilko. The same day delivery from Argos is amazing.

Putney High Street is OK for the everyday. We have a small shopping centre, very well maintained but not exactly busy. If you go to Kingston you get the better stores or for posh I can go up West, as they say in EastEnders! I don't understand why they are so rude about the DHS. If you go into a shop they don't start dissing the opposition do they? Something's they say we don't stock X but you might get it in wherever. I usually swear at the screen when Huntley (the worst offender?) starts slagging them off.

Most of Q beauty brands have been (and gone) sold in M&s over the last couple of years, so hardly exclusive any more.

There must be very very few Q brands that are no longer available from everyday shops.

Latest posts

Back