Why does everything sell out so quickly? / How true is "limited stock?"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Maybe the buyers should buy in more stock of each item? There seems to be nothing that doesn't go to "limited stock" status extremely quickly.

Clearly stock levels are kept to absolute minimum, which is why there are so many 'advanced orders' on most things now. They don't want to have stock sitting on shelves in the warehouse - its dead money. Its also a psychological incentive too, 'limited stock' can have people panic buying so as not to miss out. 100 items bought in, - limited stock, 10 left. 125 orders placed, so 'advanced orders' springs into action - QVC order 25 more and equals not having stock sitting in the warehouse ! except of course when the customer realises the purple they ordered is really orange, the sleeves are too tight on a 3xl garment, and the battery lights don't work, so they have a load of returns to get rid of.

I find it most frustrating that by the time I get up in morning for work , there has been quite a few occasions the TSV or OTO is gone!! Or on waitlist . Because it was Limited Stock .. yet there is still another 16 hours 'selling time'
Most of the year myself like a lot of peeps are in bed early for work or other commitments, and therefore cannot wait up for midnight launch.
Waitlist....Which I'm personally giving up on wait lists now ( too much waiting time / hassle of being forgotten order by Q when item does come back in stock & have to chase up)...... Only yesterday I phoned to cancell 8 waitlist items going back as far as April. I can live without items , my heart has gone out it.
( apologies for rant just one of my top 5 moans at moment):mysmilie_10:

I agree brissles, it most definitely is down to their fear of leaving stuff on the shelves, they'd sooner sell a small amount then order more in, if possible, than getting left in their warehouse for eternity of "last clicks" and "clearance"

I find it most frustrating that by the time I get up in morning for work , there has been quite a few occasions the TSV or OTO is gone!! Or on waitlist . Because it was Limited Stock .. yet there is still another 16 hours 'selling time'
Most of the year myself like a lot of peeps are in bed early for work or other commitments, and therefore cannot wait up for midnight launch.
Waitlist....Which I'm personally giving up on wait lists now ( too much waiting time / hassle of being forgotten order by Q when item does come back in stock & have to chase up)...... Only yesterday I phoned to cancell 8 waitlist items going back as far as April. I can live without items , my heart has gone out it.
( apologies for rant just one of my top 5 moans at moment):mysmilie_10:

And I've given up on advanced orders since it appears there's no guarantee that they'll honour the reduced price or reduced p&p that was promised when the thing was aired.

There's another reason why QVC only get a small amount of stock, why would they sell, for instance, something for £30 TSV price, if they know darn well that a couple of weeks later they can sell the exact same thing for £50. It's more to entice new customers I think then bam! they've got yeh where you don't think you're actually parting with money because after all, it's just a tap of that app or a click on the computer.

Its the same with department stores or supermarkets. Shelf space costs them money, if products just sitting there not selling then they no longer stock them.

We have seen with QVC in their clearance stuff sitting there for years! So QVC caught on and only buy in the minimum they know they can sell, if more need then advanced or wait list kicks in.

QVC have said on air they cannot say something is limited if that is not a fact. In fact they used to say on air we are not allowed to sell something we do not actually have in stock. Hence they get round that one with advanced orders now. They would be fined by the TV advertising governing body.

L'Oreal recently got fined again over claims made about their products and what they do. Some people put stuff in their basket but then do not buy so it falls back into stock, that is different.

I think this is particularly true of One Time Onlys shopperholic - quite often the same item shows with 2 item numbers; a few at the OTO price but plenty of stock at the full inflated price under another item number.

It's all a load of Who Shot John but then why would we be surprised.

Waitlist - never go there as it is 100% going to be a return (ok for a ring or bracelet as it is probably the wrong fit and that not like a used pair of trousers). Always remember the tea bag test!

I think this is particularly true of One Time Onlys shopperholic - quite often the same item shows with 2 item numbers; a few at the OTO price but plenty of stock at the full inflated price under another item number.

Yes, the OTO is a big swizz, it's usually the QVC price, lowered to a feature price, and you're right about the two separate numbers, how deceitful is that?

Clearly stock levels are kept to absolute minimum, which is why there are so many 'advanced orders' on most things now. They don't want to have stock sitting on shelves in the warehouse - its dead money. Its also a psychological incentive too, 'limited stock' can have people panic buying so as not to miss out. 100 items bought in, - limited stock, 10 left. 125 orders placed, so 'advanced orders' springs into action - QVC order 25 more and equals not having stock sitting in the warehouse ! except of course when the customer realises the purple they ordered is really orange, the sleeves are too tight on a 3xl garment, and the battery lights don't work, so they have a load of returns to get rid of.

I agree brissles, it most definitely is down to their fear of leaving stuff on the shelves, they'd sooner sell a small amount then order more in, if possible, than getting left in their warehouse for eternity of "last clicks" and "clearance"

I agree and having unsold/unsellable stuff taking up space in the warehouse is something any retailer should avoid but what QVC simply cannot grasp is that what they do have in the warehouse will NEVER be got rid of while it's stuck in so-called "last clicks" with 5-10% off! A sensible seller would knock at least 40% off or, as Boots, most department stores and even QVC's pet brands like Yankee Candle and Lulu Guinness do, 70%. These are companies who realise that the stock needs shifting. QVC are just too pig-headed and mean ... as well as clueless.

Yes, almost all things offered on advanced orders these days. The problem with this is, if it takes 3 weeks to a month for them to arrive, as is often the case, would most people have gone off the idea by then, so return or cancel?

Latest posts

Back