Yankee Candle TSV 14/09/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm dithering! I would love to have these, but with my stockpile I just cannot justify spending the money... After all, the biggest saving I can make is by not spending! I shall enjoy vicariously through any who do decide to go for these :mysmilie_50:

MML, I succumbed earlier so will happily give you some vicarious 'cold sniffs' when they arrive :mysmilie_59:

I really, really, really wish I had remembered that at 20 past midnight when I ordered the flippin' candles! To be fair, I usually do and I have successfully resisted so many things on QVC this year. I don't know what came over me this time because ever since I saw the contents, I have been telling myself I wasn't interested and I wouldn't buy. It literally was the dreaded "fear of missing out" in the end. I'm even more ashamed to admit that I was pushed over the edge on seeing the P&P at £4.95, bringing the total to under (just) £45, hence £15 per jar, which is my absolute limit. So one pound less than the level at which I would not have bought the TSV! I am deeply, deeply embarrassed but now I have put it out there, I feel a touch better.

I keep saying I am going to stop selling on eBay or buying anything with the excuse that what I don't want can go on there. It's a mad merry-go-round! But I may have to assuage my guilt by putting at least one jar up for sale and maybe get a few quid profit (difficult with eBay/PayPal fees and P&P) to bring the net cost of what I keep down.

As you see, I'm now waffling and over-analysing this in my shame.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

I really, really, really wish I had remembered that at 20 past midnight when I ordered the flippin' candles! To be fair, I usually do and I have successfully resisted so many things on QVC this year. I don't know what came over me this time because ever since I saw the contents, I have been telling myself I wasn't interested and I wouldn't buy. It literally was the dreaded "fear of missing out" in the end. I'm even more ashamed to admit that I was pushed over the edge on seeing the P&P at £4.95, bringing the total to under (just) £45, hence £15 per jar, which is my absolute limit. So one pound less than the level at which I would not have bought the TSV! I am deeply, deeply embarrassed but now I have put it out there, I feel a touch better.

I keep saying I am going to stop selling on eBay or buying anything with the excuse that what I don't want can go on there. It's a mad merry-go-round! But I may have to assuage my guilt by putting at least one jar up for sale and maybe get a few quid profit (difficult with eBay/PayPal fees and P&P) to bring the net cost of what I keep down.

As you see, I'm now waffling and over-analysing this in my shame.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Ah AndiK, you've been so incredibly strong for so long, you deserve a treat and these candles are just the ticket...plus they conform to your spending rules, so you've stayed true to your principles - can't see owt wrong myself :mysmilie_59:

Ah AndiK, you've been so incredibly strong for so long, you deserve a treat and these candles are just the ticket...plus they conform to your spending rules, so you've stayed true to your principles - can't see owt wrong myself :mysmilie_59:

And there we go, instant relief! Thanks, Tarketta. Yes, I have been very good. I bought the Becca TSV but nothing else since June and I think I've only had two Yankee sets from QVC this year. At least we are both in this together and we can compare notes. Did you go for Auto Delivery?

Another thing that influenced me a bit is that my niece is mad on The Sound of Music. Believe it or not, although I know the story and have seen bits of the film several times, I only watched it in its entirety very recently when she brought the DVD round during the holidays. Musicals in general do my head in but TSOM just reminds me of Christmases as a child so I can actually stand it. Anyway, said niece is also fascinated by my obsession with Yankees - she will love it if I have these. And I'm weak ....

Andi, when I saw the post telling us the postage was down by a pound, the FIRST thing i thought was that you would be able to buy them as they are in your limit!!!!!!!! Honestly, even before I thought oh good, I shall save a pound then.

I ordered the single drop. Of course the upselling pitch was did I want the WJ trio? YES my inner addict screamed, but I managed to croak out a No and put the phone down - phew! I am now looking forward to a real good laugh at the recordings as various adults witter on about favourite things: as someone posted, it will be like Charlie Bears. Those shows make me want to throw up but I am hoping YC will just be ridiculously twee.

:mysmilie_59:

And there we go, instant relief! Thanks, Tarketta. Yes, I have been very good. I bought the Becca TSV but nothing else since June and I think I've only had two Yankee sets from QVC this year. At least we are both in this together and we can compare notes. Did you go for Auto Delivery?

Another thing that influenced me a bit is that my niece is mad on The Sound of Music. Believe it or not, although I know the story and have seen bits of the film several times, I only watched it in its entirety very recently when she brought the DVD round during the holidays. Musicals in general do my head in but TSOM just reminds me of Christmases as a child so I can actually stand it. Anyway, said niece is also fascinated by my obsession with Yankees - she will love it if I have these. And I'm weak ....

Sounds to me like these were calling to you big time, AndiK - I just hope my previous recollections of most of them being lovely still hold true, urk!

I did indeed get the AD - I want all of them except for Kettles and Strudel and they can be palmed off to cinnamon-loving friends or burned alongside other candles (if Strudel still smells like wet soggy apples!). However, I can't bear the film - I love musicals, but having grown up in the 70s, TSOM was repeated ad infinitum until I could take no more (plus I generally find Julie Andrews really irritating, apart from Mary Poppins).

Andi, when I saw the post telling us the postage was down by a pound, the FIRST thing i thought was that you would be able to buy them as they are in your limit!!!!!!!! Honestly, even before I thought oh good, I shall save a pound then.

I ordered the single drop. Of course the upselling pitch was did I want the WJ trio? YES my inner addict screamed, but I managed to croak out a No and put the phone down - phew! I am now looking forward to a real good laugh at the recordings as various adults witter on about favourite things: as someone posted, it will be like Charlie Bears. Those shows make me want to throw up but I am hoping YC will just be ridiculously twee.

:mysmilie_59:

That's so funny. I love that we have all got to know each other's foibles, weaknesses and mantras.

Which WJ trio was it again? The Tropic ones (which I see were in the launch hour although I didn't watch it all)? That is a lovely collection and one I would definitely have snapped up a year ago. Well done you for swerving.

Yes, some of the eulogising is vomit-inducing. I shan't be watching at 4pm as it's Flinty (Jackie at 7pm and Franks at 10pm). I assume it's Rosa throughout from their side, which is a blessing.

Sounds to me like these were calling to you big time, AndiK - I just hope my previous recollections of most of them being lovely still hold true, urk!

I did indeed get the AD - I want all of them except for Kettles and Strudel and they can be palmed off to cinnamon-loving friends or burned alongside other candles (if Strudel still smells like wet soggy apples!). However, I can't bear the film - I love musicals, but having grown up in the 70s, TSOM was repeated ad infinitum until I could take no more (plus I generally find Julie Andrews really irritating, apart from Mary Poppins).

I have been melting Whiskers on Kittens in a warmer. I don't love it as much as I thought I would from the description (musk and sandalwood are usually great for me) but I do rather like it and I'm sure I'll like the other two. I have gone for the AD too - pushing the boat out on my spontaneous purchase! I may cancel nearer the time - maybe I'll see if Wax Addicts have got the crumble pots so I can sample before they are despatched.

I can fully appreciate your aversion to TSOM. Even though it brings back happy childhood memories for me, I don't think I was that keen on the film itself at the time!

Come on people! Whiskers On Kittens should smell like cat food! Anyone who owns a cat knows this.

:mysmilie_14:

You old cynic, you! I must admit I did think cat's breath! I also thought musty stationery cupboards when I saw Brown Paper Packages. Luckily, I'm not swayed by the names and how a name "evokes picnics in a sun-dappled meadow with the birds singing", etc, etc. All the fanciful descriptions go straight over my head - I just want to know what the fragrance notes are.

I'm dithering, dithering, dithering.
I've got the auto delivery in my basket. Haven't watched any of the presentations as I've had a really busy day,, just got home & had actually forgotten it was today....can you believe??
Are they American editions, hard to get here? I have SO many unburned ones that I feel guilty but I'm sorely tempted, even though they're dearer than the £11.99 I pay at my outlet shop, but they might not get these?
I'm going making a brew & stewing on it. I honestly thought they'd have sold out by now.

I've got the auto delivery in my basket. Haven't watched any of the presentations as I've had a really busy day,, just got home & had actually forgotten it was today....can you believe??
Are they American editions, hard to get here? I have SO many unburned ones that I feel guilty but I'm sorely tempted, even though they're dearer than the £11.99 I pay at my outlet shop, but they might not get these?
I'm going making a brew & stewing on it. I honestly thought they'd have sold out by now.

well my friend has them all from the original ones & one of them is worth over £100 (not stating how much) but he did say if this set is similar it will knock the value down

I've ordered them on auto

If I remember rightly, Rosa said last night you can't even get them in the US now - they could make a new batch, of course (she didn't say that, I'm just thinking aloud). Like you, I've bought a few this year for around £12 so I balked at buying for £15. I don't mind so much if they are lovely as well as rare though. Let us know what you think when they arrive, Breeze, so we can all compare notes.

How many sets did QVC order???? I can't believe they still have both the single set and the AD available at this time of the day.

How many sets did QVC order???? I can't believe they still have both the single set and the AD available at this time of the day.

I only saw the start of the midnight hour and they had sold over 1000 by about 12.15am and I thought then they might sell out mid-afternoon. I don't know how many Yankee TSVs they normally shift though. Do they often sell out?

I wonder if Yankee will 'interpret' any other songs or if this was a one-off. I mean I can't think of any off-hand that lend themselves as well as this song, but I am sure there must be others. It was a 'brave' thing of Yankee to do as a brand as I know they are famous for doing so called 'fantasy fragrances', but this takes it to a whole new level in that they are not only that [fantasy fragrances], but they are also based on a song that everyone knows (whether they like/endure) the musical/song or not, it is one that everyone (surely) must have heard of. I mean it was a 'back-drop' to a very famous and well put together car advert a few years ago. No this song has been used many times, in many iconic ways.

I'm unsurprised that it didn't sell well, but then I can't stick The Sound of Music.

Latest posts

Back