Telephone caller on Butler & Wilson hour

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Am laughing SO much at the telephone caller, Sheila, who came through on the Butler & Wilson hour. She wouldn't answer a single one of Simon Wilson's questions. It was brilliantly awkward and reminiscent of the old QVC. She was very much the typical QVC caller, of more mature years, moribund and with no ability to interact and have a conversation. She just said what she wanted to say and spoke over Simon Wilson. He even asked her how she managed to get the call put through to the studio. There was no rapport whatsoever.

Last edited:
I remember years ago I ordered something by phone and they asked me if I wanted to be put through to the studio. Can't remember what it was I bought.I said no of course. Can't imagine why anyone wants to do that.

it used to be hilarious in the old days some of them called in several times a day. it was gringeworthy but funny

I remember years ago I ordered something by phone and they asked me if I wanted to be put through to the studio. Can't remember what it was I bought.I said no of course. Can't imagine why anyone wants to do that.

They asked me once too, several years ago. Do they not invite anyone any more or is it just that they've stopped asking those of us who, like me, can get a bit bolshy, so we've been blacklisted?!

I think it's a sign of the times. The tweets are succinct and easy to manage, unlike Enid from Horsham who has no friends and no ability to pick up on the verbal cues that the presenters would like to end the conversation. I think people should try to get put through, be initially all gushy and fawning, then turn tables and ask them an awkward question. I'd particularly like to ask Ultrasun Abby why the products are laced with aluminium, and if Ultrasun contains no emulsifiers, what purpose does the lecithin serve? I'd like to ask Simon Wilson why he doesn't just call his range "Wilson" since he split with Butler years ago, and whether his relationship with Butler remains an acrimonious one. I'd like to ask Gill Gauntlett what her credentials are. I'd like to ask Kelly Hoppen whether Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction inspired her look, and whether she is a bit of a "bunny-boiler" herself. I'd also like to ask her whether Tanita Tikarum's "Twist in My Sobriety" is her favourite song - as it matches her products and personality so well. I'd like to ask Lee Hohbein how the hell he got that job and how he manages to afford that flat in the Docklands. I'd like to ask Jill Franks just why she is so self-centred. In fact there are many things I would love to ask many people there.

Of course years ago callers were more frequent, as there wasn't such a big twitter thing going, and I almost wet myself at some of the callers, they were quite embarrassing, some not so but they were few and far between. I remember callers quite frequently too, not just now and then, in almost every hour, I know Tova used to get loads of them.

So funny that woman today, as was one who was on later too.

I think it's a sign of the times. The tweets are succinct and easy to manage, unlike Enid from Horsham who has no friends and no ability to pick up on the verbal cues that the presenters would like to end the conversation. I think people should try to get put through, be initially all gushy and fawning, then turn tables and ask them an awkward question. I'd particularly like to ask Ultrasun Abby why the products are laced with aluminium, and if Ultrasun contains no emulsifiers, what purpose does the lecithin serve? I'd like to ask Simon Wilson why he doesn't just call his range "Wilson" since he split with Butler years ago, and whether his relationship with Butler remains an acrimonious one. I'd like to ask Gill Gauntlett what her credentials are. I'd like to ask Kelly Hoppen whether Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction inspired her look, and whether she is a bit of a "bunny-boiler" herself. I'd also like to ask her whether Tanita Tikarum's "Twist in My Sobriety" is her favourite song - as it matches her products and personality so well. I'd like to ask Lee Hohbein how the hell he got that job and how he manages to afford that flat in the Docklands. I'd like to ask Jill Franks just why she is so self-centred. In fact there are many things I would love to ask many people there.

Do it, do it! 0800 514131.

I remember a woman called up once on the Tova hour and said she'd named her cat Tova. Tova Borgnine looked quite insulted and the presenter tried to soften the blow by explaining that the cat was a rare breed. I don't know why she felt so insulted. I have actually smelled her perfume and it stank like cat's piss!

There was an actress off Coro who used to phone in when she was Hissed. I've had a couple of small wines myself so can't remember her name.

There was an actress off Coro who used to phone in when she was Hissed. I've had a couple of small wines myself so can't remember her name.

Was it that woman who played the character called Phyllis with the purple / blue hair?

Part of me used to love the callers ringing in, especially when they wouldn't take the hint and go or when they rambled on about how many they'd ordered (Charlie Bears hours were particularly good for this, you'd get a blow-by-blow account of each member of their bear 'family'), but part of me found it rather sad, too, as it was obvious some of the callers were just looking for someone to talk to. None of the selly telly channels seem to encourage phone-ins now, Gems used to do it a lot, but they now know better! I'm sure that some people DID get through by being all touchy-feely at first and then dropping a bombshell, especially if the channel had pi$$ed them off with an order recently - too tempting not to. I'm glad someone got one over on Simon - he can be snotty, although I LOVE to see him put the presenter down with his sarcasm. I'd love to ask Chunters if she's really as thick as she appears, or whether she just puts on an act - and if so, why?

Of course years ago callers were more frequent, as there wasn't such a big twitter thing going, and I almost wet myself at some of the callers, they were quite embarrassing, some not so but they were few and far between. I remember callers quite frequently too, not just now and then, in almost every hour, I know Tova used to get loads of them.

So funny that woman today, as was one who was on later too.

I remember someone posted a YouTube clip of a caller who rang Simon Dairylee up, Cheesey started off by saying, "hallo! So you like the (can't rember)" and the man in his rough deep voice went "no, not really, do you?" Cheesey went "er yes, yes I do" then went on for a ten second extremely awkward wind up were the man had clearly done it for a laugh (or he was pissed, or both) and the plug was pulled. The man deserves a knighthood for services to Tv entertainment, the caller, not Cheesey :mysmilie_17:

I saw the caller later in the show who had as much enthusiasm as a slug, talk about drawing teeth.I thought in these days of social media the days of the 'caller' had gone.I tend to cringe when I hear one they can be very funny but more often embarrassing.I know it seems to be the domain of us more mature persons to come over like this, but PLEASE do not put us all into this category.I interact with people usually on a daily basis, very articulate, interesting & some elderly people.Contrast this when I lived in a large city to be met with blank stares (or more often completely ignored) while jumping out of the way of the 'texters'.It really worries me when I see a group of people totally engrossed with some screen.At least this silver haired senior can interact with humans!
Note on the B&W offerings seen in last night's show--big & brash, totally awful OMO of course!!

Ah they don't work for me Andi, would've loved to see the Biagi one again. :mysmilie_15:

Yeah, sorry. I tried to delete it when I saw the post was displaying in an odd way. Not sure what's happening there as I have posted many links in the past without a problem. Let me see if I can find it again and you can google it to get to it.

Ah they don't work for me Andi, would've loved to see the Biagi one again. :mysmilie_15:

Yeah, sorry. I tried to delete it when I saw the post was displaying in an odd way. Not sure what's happening there as I have posted many links in the past without a problem. Let me see if I can find it again and you can google it to get to it.

Try googling "QVC Drunk T Caller" and hopefully it will come up.

Also google "Leah Williams on the phone" for one of the US ones. The caller is sweetness and light, although I'm not sure why she was calling in except to "be on the telly", and then her mask slips when she forgets she can be heard.

And finally, before I completely clutter up this page, google "QVC Dell prank call" and "I like my Dell prank call" for two others on YouTube about, er, Dell computers. Sorry I can't post the links for ease.

I remember a woman called up once on the Tova hour and said she'd named her cat Tova. Tova Borgnine looked quite insulted and the presenter tried to soften the blow by explaining that the cat was a rare breed. I don't know why she felt so insulted. I have actually smelled her perfume and it stank like cat's piss!

And migraine inducing, I kid you not!

Latest posts

Back