Remind me - are they supposed to sell jewellery?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
Gems TV tonight is an hour of perfume and then an hour of candles! The remote has just been used - if I never see another candle on selly telly it will be too soon and I fail to understand how people want to buy an unknown perfume that you can't trial from a shopping telly channel. In theory I suppose you can return it if it brings you out in hives, but I'd imagine a fair number end up smashed in the post being returned. This channel gets more like Bid every day.

Yes - they used to! It's far more about the brand. I mean, what the goodness are they doing selling "Gemporia ribbon"?!

The use of the VT/light box reached an all time record yesterday when they auctioned an item and NEVER showed it in the studio on the presenter.

Also, the Winza ruby looked great but had a treatment code of "HL". Like the "HW", it's not in their treatment library so avoided.

WHAAAAT? Gemporia ribbon? What's next - Gemporia toilet rolls? I know exactly what you mean about the light box usage - the only interpretation you can put on this is that they are putting a gloss on the product and masking what might be flaws. They are adopting really shyster practices on this channel and one day I confidently expect to turn on, and find it has disappeared. I'm increasingly thinking that Steve Bennett is deliberately running the channel down before he pulls the plug and moves on to something else. This is only my opinion and I'm no accountant (as my former maths teacher at school would happily testify!), but are there any financial advantages in doing so, I wonder?
Yes - they used to! It's far more about the brand. I mean, what the goodness are they doing selling "Gemporia ribbon"?!

The use of the VT/light box reached an all time record yesterday when they auctioned an item and NEVER showed it in the studio on the presenter.

Also, the Winza ruby looked great but had a treatment code of "HL". Like the "HW", it's not in their treatment library so avoided.

Last edited:
I agree with all comments. Candles and perfume on a gem channel. Sorry not for me either.

I don't know what the 'Gemporia ribbon' is - would love to know.

On their facebook page there are comments regarding the use of the light box. They say comments will be passed on. Nothing changes - I too think they are hiding something so just will not buy that item. Watching a ring going back and forth in the light box makes me feel sick too.

Same as the Jewellery channel they are having to broaden their sales base. The jewellery cant be doing so well and having watched the waffle that goes on I can understand why.

Sounds to me that jewellery is not selling so well so they need to add something else, problem is whilst Mr.Bennett was trying to expand into other countries the other channels have already expanded into other areas, so not much room left for manouvre, i mean Rocks and co seem to be doing gold jewellery and tjc have tried the allsorts route and gems are squeezed somewhere in the middle, hence perfume and candles. I think customers can request a sample of the perfumes before purchase but i know some bottles have been smashed enroute and personally i am not a candle person so doesnt appeal to me at all and ribbons, what the hell is that about, really.

I agree with all comments. Candles and perfume on a gem channel. Sorry not for me either.

I don't know what the 'Gemporia ribbon' is - would love to know.

On their facebook page there are comments regarding the use of the light box. They say comments will be passed on. Nothing changes - I too think they are hiding something so just will not buy that item. Watching a ring going back and forth in the light box makes me feel sick too.

Gemporia ribbon-a luxurious collectors silken ribbon perhaps,maybe studded with diamond sweepings.How about using it to enhance and upcycle a jam -jar into which you can place Gemporia candles?

I agree about the light box movement inducing queasiness.It's
almost like being on a ferry on a rough crossing.

You would think any caring company would take customer comments ( positive and negative) seriously.Although they have a core of customers who wouldn't complain whatever happened,most people quickly lose patience if they feel they are not getting value for money,or are not able to get answers to their enquiries.If there are lots of complaints and negative comments then surely that tells them there needs to be some changes.
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.gemporia.com

Last edited:
Gemporia ribbon-a luxurious collectors silken ribbon perhaps,maybe studded with diamond sweepings.How about using it to enhance and upcycle a jam -jar into which you can place Gemporia candles?

I agree about the light box movement inducing queasiness.It's
almost like being on a ferry on a rough crossing.

You would think any caring company would take customer comments ( positive and negative) seriously.Although they have a core of customers who wouldn't complain whatever happened,most people quickly lose patience if they feel they are not getting value for money,or are not able to get answers to their enquiries.If there are lots of complaints and negative comments then surely that tells them there needs to be some changes.
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.gemporia.com

Love some of the reviews on there especially the first one. What have we been saying about the presenters telling us that something shouldnt be at a certain price and pulling surprised faces at the price. FGS we are not stupid we can see straight through them. I would never order anything expensive on there. I usually restrict my pieces when I buy the to under £20 so Ive not wasted my money.

They obviously don't read Trust Pilot as they haven't acted on any of the things people have complained about

Thanks for the Trust Pilot links. I'd forgotten about those. Feefo has its fair share of bad reviews but some of these are excoriating! Trust Pilot seems to come up more when you Google so it's probably worth putting something on there.

The TP reviews are correct though. And the Lorique reviews are terrible, sadly, which mirrors some on Feefo where they were returned.

Kayleigh Hammond on Gems this morning selling Nigerian rubellite. I know that rubellite is a Type III gem (usually included) but good clarity rubellite is available in jewellery. The stuff being sold today is awful - even in the light box. I notice they don't seem to show the clarity on the TV. It looks like that awful (in my opinion) Malagasy ruby they foisted on the Gems worshippers (although Feefo has a review quoting a gem expert saying that some "filled" rubies are as good as having a synthetic, which made me chuckle!).

Last edited:
Steve Bennett just does not listen to feedback. Is this because of arrogance, stupidity or because he has an agenda for this channel's future and just doesn't care? Look at the number of people on this review website - good customers - who said they had been banned for writing negative comments about items received - if they do this it is not the way a responsible and reputable company behaves. I also agree 100% with the comment from someone who said they had worked for the USA channel, and how many people lost their jobs and had their lives affected when he closed down the channel for a second time. Yes, we know firms go bust and people lose their jobs every day, but twice Bennett had opened up channels in the USA and then closed them down - he should have done his homework before going back there a second time and then leaving chaos in his wake. Presenter Angeline having the audacity to say that he had to close the channel due to Brexit was a joke! Yes, of course, Angeline - 5 minutes after Brexit he was deported by the US Government, so had to get out. Silly woman, does she think people are that daft? This debacle with the closing of the US channel could have done him no good whatsoever in the US and I'm only surprised that designer Glenn Lehrer still wants to be associated with him.
Love some of the reviews on there especially the first one. What have we been saying about the presenters telling us that something shouldnt be at a certain price and pulling surprised faces at the price. FGS we are not stupid we can see straight through them. I would never order anything expensive on there. I usually restrict my pieces when I buy the to under £20 so Ive not wasted my money.

They obviously don't read Trust Pilot as they haven't acted on any of the things people have complained about

I think it's a shame really as years back it was a good place to buy from as were many of the channels.Could it be simply that ,as they get more established they get greedy and that leads in the end to lack of care for customers ,inefficiency and ultimately company downfall.

I have been buying from Gems since 'Snatch It' days, so that is a very long time. I used to love them, but am now so disappointed with them that I have stopped watching. Their presenters shriek and over act with their hard sell, they are completely misleading in their use of the light box with almost every piece in my experience not living up to the on screen presentation. The Trust Pilot reviews make very interesting reading (thanks for the link) and after looking through them I checked the Rocks & Co ones - they are worlds apart. I love emeralds and at the end of July I bought a couple of pieces of Gemporia's Ethiopian Emerald which were very expensive and also very disappointing and badly cut. Luckily I sent them both back (according to the presenter who re-auctioned one of the rings I had clearly been over excited and over stretched my budget, hence the reason for sending them back because it obviously couldn't be the quality despite my comments on the returns slip, the unbelievable cheek of the woman and I notice it is back on the website for the third time). Now Rocks and Co have started selling the same Ethiopian Emerald for a fraction of the price because Don Kogen bought it back in 2011. I have bought four pieces for less than I paid for one of the Gemporia ones - who is laughing now? I feel sorry for the people who bought and kept their pieces.

So agree with your comments, j. I know several people on here (myself included!) have complained about the use of the light box, but nothing changes. This proves that Gemporia really could not care less what their customers think. Like you, I haven't bought anything for ages - well over a year - and like you, I have some lovely pieces from years ago, well-cut stones, chunky quantity of gold and silver, with silver rings so heavy that they are fully hallmarked, not just "925" mark. Now, Gems prices are just off the wall - I didn't buy any of the Ethiopian Emerald, but I have some beautiful Zambian Emerald from years back and have had it valued a couple of times, and been told by different jewellers that the stones are very good. Reluctantly, (because I had an issue with them in the past) I have to fully agree with you that Rocks & Co. seem to have got their act together over the past months, and now do some reasonably-priced jewellery with stones (particularly diamonds) that appear to be very high quality. But I admit I cannot stand most of the presenters on either channel - the shrieking and fake acting is just out of control and nobody is fooled when they claim "sold out" but the pieces then re-appear - we all know darn well that it's likely they are re-auctioning pieces that people (like yourself) have sent back, in all probability because they are scratched, chipped or badly cut, etc. I don't think they can survive in their present format for very much longer, but the Bennetts seemingly don't listen to customers.

I have been buying from Gems since 'Snatch It' days, so that is a very long time. I used to love them, but am now so disappointed with them that I have stopped watching. Their presenters shriek and over act with their hard sell, they are completely misleading in their use of the light box with almost every piece in my experience not living up to the on screen presentation. The Trust Pilot reviews make very interesting reading (thanks for the link) and after looking through them I checked the Rocks & Co ones - they are worlds apart. I love emeralds and at the end of July I bought a couple of pieces of Gemporia's Ethiopian Emerald which were very expensive and also very disappointing and badly cut. Luckily I sent them both back (according to the presenter who re-auctioned one of the rings I had clearly been over excited and over stretched my budget, hence the reason for sending them back because it obviously couldn't be the quality despite my comments on the returns slip, the unbelievable cheek of the woman and I notice it is back on the website for the third time). Now Rocks and Co have started selling the same Ethiopian Emerald for a fraction of the price because Don Kogen bought it back in 2011. I have bought four pieces for less than I paid for one of the Gemporia ones - who is laughing now? I feel sorry for the people who bought and kept their pieces.

I heard presenter Ellis say this yesterday, but she didn't specify anything included in the show (was probably
too embarrassed to do so). So much for the "we only sell genuine gemstones" - could it be a diamond studded wash cloth, or sapphire studded floor mops? How long before they start selling Kinkade prints?

I noticed they have a Homeware Show on at the weekend!!!

What wash cloths, floor brushes???

I heard presenter Ellis say this yesterday, but she didn't specify anything included in the show (was probably
too embarrassed to do so). So much for the "we only sell genuine gemstones" - could it be a diamond studded wash cloth, or sapphire studded floor mops? How long before they start selling Kinkade prints?

Oh lordy, PLEASE don't give them ideas!

"And now we have a limited edition print of Thomas Kinkade's 'Mysterious Inferno In An Eerie Rural Cottage', studded with precious Catford rhinestones and lovingly set into a gilded MDF frame. Prices start at £1599.99, but this limited and unforgivable... Sorry, irreplaceable print is a steal at twice the price. I cannot believe that we're going lower!"

*flicks hair, picks nose, and scratches armpits*

You see, what I don't understand is that you're all bang on the money with your views. It's not as if we're wild-haired loons foaming at the mouth. All comments - including most on Feefo - are sensible, concerned and measured.

I too have some pieces that I'm happy to show people from days gone by. In fact, I recently bought a second hand ring from an eBay jeweller that was a Gems TV ring from way back - before I had even heard of them (it has a paper authenticity cert produced in a style that I don't recognise). It has a stunning rhodolite garnet set in over 5g of gold.

I saw that SB was on air (covering holiday shifts I guess) and didn't think he sounded same either. It used to be that if he was on, you would be guaranteed a better deal than normal. Not this time (from what little I saw). I have a stunning pair of songea sapphire cufflinks I bought when Matt B used to do the graveyard shift at 3am (was nursing my agèd woofer). They were truly "on and gone".

As for Thomas Kincade - that makes me chuckle. As it happens I do have a memory of PS doing the hard sell on those chocolate box pictures, accompanied by soft heart-tugging music, soft lighting and hushed tones. It's actually a fond memory. It just makes me smile. Have to admire the man if he can make a living and create a personality selling that kind of tat (in my opinion - art is SO subjective).

You see, what I don't understand is that you're all bang on the money with your views. It's not as if we're wild-haired loons foaming at the mouth. All comments - including most on Feefo - are sensible, concerned and measured.

I too have some pieces that I'm happy to show people from days gone by. In fact, I recently bought a second hand ring from an eBay jeweller that was a Gems TV ring from way back - before I had even heard of them (it has a paper authenticity cert produced in a style that I don't recognise). It has a stunning rhodolite garnet set in over 5g of gold.

I saw that SB was on air (covering holiday shifts I guess) and didn't think he sounded same either. It used to be that if he was on, you would be guaranteed a better deal than normal. Not this time (from what little I saw). I have a stunning pair of songea sapphire cufflinks I bought when Matt B used to do the graveyard shift at 3am (was nursing my agèd woofer). They were truly "on and gone".

As for Thomas Kincade - that makes me chuckle. As it happens I do have a memory of PS doing the hard sell on those chocolate box pictures, accompanied by soft heart-tugging music, soft lighting and hushed tones. It's actually a fond memory. It just makes me smile. Have to admire the man if he can make a living and create a personality selling that kind of tat (in my opinion - art is SO subjective).

Well, Pope Pete's still flogging these monstrosities (sorry, "masterpieces") but on Ideal World. If you're feeling particularly masochistic, you could look out for it.

Me? I'd rather watch Angeline "Herr Flick" Davies waggle her scary brows at the camera for an hour. It's less disturbing

My current 'issue' with Gemporia is that they are still running their 'Fake Nothing' campaign yet the excitement and astonishment is still being heaped on various varieties of coated topaz. Having accepted that the coloured gemstones from the original locations are either just not available or unattainable due to cost the solution seems to be that Gemporia should source and promote colourless topaz which has been artificially coated with layers giving the stones colour to compare with the original source colours. To be honest I know very little about gemstone treatments and so far haven't done sufficient research to inform me. However, when a gem has been given 'a little heat' I don't know if that is the sort of heat that I could give it in my domestic oven or do I need a furnace? Also when the 'mine to market' mantra is trotted out and the gemstone treatment is irradiation or reconstruction how to the artisan miners safely achieve these treatments - safe for them and the environment? Or maybe often its mine to market via........? I recognise that Gemporia have put themselves out there with their honesty in the declaring the treatments used when most of the competition don't. Also the information regarding the origin of the stones is something that no high street retailer in my experience has the knowledge of.

But come on Gemporia 'Fake Nothing' is over egging it when gemstones are routinely heated, filled, irradiated, bleached, dyed, reconstructed, coated, diffused, smoked, oiled etc etc.

Latest posts

Back