Yankee Candles TSV 18/10/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I get the feeling that once burning the Crackling Wood Fire will smell smokie. I did have a jar of snow in love but finished it a few months ago. I have too many candles in my cupboard(s) to start buying anymore!

So say many of us. Pity we don't all have your ability to resist buying more!

got mine yesterday morning from my lovely hermes driver. gave him a tip seeing how awful heres are to their staff

having trouble with the smoking fire grey one. i have never had a small candle tunnel. blew it out the wick is as thin as a hair. now to rescue it and hope for some scent

having trouble with the smoking fire grey one. i have never had a small candle tunnel. blew it out the wick is as thin as a hair. now to rescue it and hope for some scent

Sounds like a justifiable return as a faulty product with replacement free of charge. Keep an eye on it, boffy. I've had the odd candle with a wick that breaks off because it goes brittle and when you go anywhere near it, it snaps really low so you can't re-light it. If the wick is very fine, it will probably do this. Do you like it otherwise?

Sounds like a justifiable return as a faulty product with replacement free of charge. Keep an eye on it, boffy. I've had the odd candle with a wick that breaks off because it goes brittle and when you go anywhere near it, it snaps really low so you can't re-light it. If the wick is very fine, it will probably do this. Do you like it otherwise?

i did not like it on cold sniff in the store but its ok burning. would be frightened to buy this in a large jar its a pain to burn. its now wrapped in foil. :mysmilie_51:

i did not like it on cold sniff in the store but its ok burning. would be frightened to buy this in a large jar its a pain to burn. its now wrapped in foil. :mysmilie_51:

How annoying! It's a small jar and the weather is not even that cold yet! Give them a ring. If they can't/won't send you a single jar, ask for a P&P refund which is roughly the same amount and they'll probably be happy to do that rather than have to cover the cost of mailing another jar.

Mine finally rocked up on Monday this week.

I've given them a careful cold sniff, and on balance more keepers than not (only one I definitely want to discard). My notes below:

The first three are in a league of their own. These are true Christmas fragrances for me, and all ones I would have in the house in all formats if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in other festive fragrances:

#1 Christmas Magic - gorgeous and very evocative of the season: cinnamon and clove and incense, with a touch of pine - love this and will definitely want a large jar, for me this could become a returning festive classic fragrance
#2 The Perfect Tree - they nailed the Christmas tree for me... no stench of cleaning fluid, just the sharp pine needle and resin sap smell of a real Christmas tree - YC have actually hit the spot and this is another whcih could bcome a returning festive classic fragrance
#3 Red Apple Wreath - crisp apple and a hint of soft spice - love this fragrance as part of a festive mix

Verdicts on the rest, which include some foodie fragrances which I find more than acceptable as they aren't over the top foodie(I'm never going to go totally crazy for them, to be honest, I'd rather eat my food than burn it):
#4 Winter Glow - clean, fresh, bright winter member of the Clean Cotton family of fragrances - prefer this one to any other members of this fragrance family on a cold sniff
#5 Snowflake Cookie - sweet vanilla with a hint of butter - pleasantly surprised that it doesn't have a stale biscuit aroma
#6 Macaron Treats - sweet, vanilla, soft almond, and even a hint of chocolate to my nose - happy I'm not smelling sweaty feet, I like this much better than my first impression
#7 Crackling Wood Fire - clean and mild, missing a crackling wood fire smokiness I was expecting to smell - everything is very low-key, but will make a nice "quiet" chill-time fragrance as long as I don't have any wick issues

Two that are rather dominating fragrances, and I may find them too much when I burn them, but as things stand, I like them:
#8 Berry Trifle - rich sweet winter berries, perhaps aided and abetted by a splash or two of sherry - I'm fancying a mix with the Macaron Treats
#9 All Is Bright - wallops you upside the head with a massive citrus burst, not particularly festive, but a welcome re-charge away from all the traditional cosy spice-related and foodie fragrances - probably the strongest aroma of the lot

Last and very much least, is my yukkiest pick, which currently ranks 10/10 but I could see it being 40/40 by the time all the candle ADs are in (assuming they all actually arrive):
#10 Spiced White Cocoa - very chemical and bitter aroma - don't like this one little bit... will probably see if I can gift it

I like your descriptions, mml, and thanks for taking the time to set them out. I don't agree with all your likes and dislikes but I bet no two people on here would feel the same.

Two of your top three are probably my favourites too: Christmas Magic and Red Apple Wreath (which I've always liked and have a couple of other jars of). The Perfect Tree, though, is just a bit much for me, even if I like it more than many other pine candles. And I had awful problems with a large jar of Berry Trifle smoking last winter and in the end it actually smelt like smoke when cold so I'm not inclined ever to use this and I'll probably get rid.

Mine finally rocked up on Monday this week.

I've given them a careful cold sniff, and on balance more keepers than not (only one I definitely want to discard). My notes below:

The first three are in a league of their own. These are true Christmas fragrances for me, and all ones I would have in the house in all formats if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in other festive fragrances:

#1 Christmas Magic - gorgeous and very evocative of the season: cinnamon and clove and incense, with a touch of pine - love this and will definitely want a large jar, for me this could become a returning festive classic fragrance
#2 The Perfect Tree - they nailed the Christmas tree for me... no stench of cleaning fluid, just the sharp pine needle and resin sap smell of a real Christmas tree - YC have actually hit the spot and this is another whcih could bcome a returning festive classic fragrance
#3 Red Apple Wreath - crisp apple and a hint of soft spice - love this fragrance as part of a festive mix

Verdicts on the rest, which include some foodie fragrances which I find more than acceptable as they aren't over the top foodie(I'm never going to go totally crazy for them, to be honest, I'd rather eat my food than burn it):
#4 Winter Glow - clean, fresh, bright winter member of the Clean Cotton family of fragrances - prefer this one to any other members of this fragrance family on a cold sniff
#5 Snowflake Cookie - sweet vanilla with a hint of butter - pleasantly surprised that it doesn't have a stale biscuit aroma
#6 Macaron Treats - sweet, vanilla, soft almond, and even a hint of chocolate to my nose - happy I'm not smelling sweaty feet, I like this much better than my first impression
#7 Crackling Wood Fire - clean and mild, missing a crackling wood fire smokiness I was expecting to smell - everything is very low-key, but will make a nice "quiet" chill-time fragrance as long as I don't have any wick issues

Two that are rather dominating fragrances, and I may find them too much when I burn them, but as things stand, I like them:
#8 Berry Trifle - rich sweet winter berries, perhaps aided and abetted by a splash or two of sherry - I'm fancying a mix with the Macaron Treats
#9 All Is Bright - wallops you upside the head with a massive citrus burst, not particularly festive, but a welcome re-charge away from all the traditional cosy spice-related and foodie fragrances - probably the strongest aroma of the lot

Last and very much least, is my yukkiest pick, which currently ranks 10/10 but I could see it being 40/40 by the time all the candle ADs are in (assuming they all actually arrive):
#10 Spiced White Cocoa - very chemical and bitter aroma - don't like this one little bit... will probably see if I can gift it

i agree with you wholeheartedly on the cocoa one. what a nightmare. if i gifted that to anyone they wouldn't be my friend anymore. what a vile concoction. all is bright is one of my favourites for all year round. it sold out quickly last christmas so i bought whatever bits in any format i could. its grapefruit with a lot of warmer notes love it!

Thank you for the cautionary note on Berry Trifle Andi! The grapefruit is what i couldn't pinpoint, thank you, Boffy! All Is Bright will get an early burn to try it out. You have me worried about giving the Spiced White Cocoa as a gift now, though!!

Thank you for the cautionary note on Berry Trifle Andi! The grapefruit is what i couldn't pinpoint, thank you, Boffy! All Is Bright will get an early burn to try it out. You have me worried about giving the Spiced White Cocoa as a gift now, though!!

i am burning spiced white cocoa now so will tell you what i think of it.it has had positive reviews on qvc website for the set of three so will let you know what i think later on

This thread is yet another example of how great this forum is - I love Spiced White Cocoa and per my previous post, think the Perfect Tree smells like a Christmassy cowpat - it's just so interesting reading other people's opinions :mysmilie_59:

On a cautionary note though, from my recent YC purchases, there seems to be a worrying trend for skinnier wicks meaning that not enough heat is generated to properly burn the candle. Bavarian Pretzel and the All is Bright small jar both had wicks about as thin as thread - let's hope I was just unlucky.

This thread is yet another example of how great this forum is - I love Spiced White Cocoa and per my previous post, think the Perfect Tree smells like a Christmassy cowpat - it's just so interesting reading other people's opinions :mysmilie_59:

On a cautionary note though, from my recent YC purchases, there seems to be a worrying trend for skinnier wicks meaning that not enough heat is generated to properly burn the candle. Bavarian Pretzel and the All is Bright small jar both had wicks about as thin as thread - let's hope I was just unlucky.

burning the spiced white cocoa and its nicer burning than on cold sniff. if you like sweet creamy vanilla scents you will like this. don't get a spice scent through but is not bad. however the wicks drowning again looks like its too thin. will have to contact qvc on this issue dam!

OK - I will take the the plunge and light the Spiced White Cocoa. I have a feeling that in The Candle Stash (TM) I might actually have a large jar from last year in one of the combo purchases... I may end up offloading the large one (if it exists) and just burning the small one. We shall see.

Yes, we do all need to keep an eye on wick widths as it has a fundamental impact on the efficient burning of the candles - if the wicks are skinny enough to ensure tunnelling then that's bang out of order!

My worst-case scenario, if I like the scents enough to keep them, would be to excavate out the wax in order to melt in a melt warmer or scenterpiece. I have silicone cupcake papers for that purpose... but it is ridiculous to have to go to those lengths if YC have slimmed down the wicks as part of QVC's perpetual chasing of a lower price... it should be for them (QVC and YC) to resolve with properly made candles, rather than customers to have to go to the lengths of foil collars etc to attempt to get an even, full-width, candle burn!

Tarketta - totally agree how fascinating it is to see how different our perceptions of different scents can be, positive and negative. It is a real minefield for both sellers and buyers as, even if you like similar scents to someone else, the reason for liking it may be completely different fragrance notes in the whole combination.

I have been on radio silence as am perilously close to my Broadband limit (have just had to go unlimited but not through yet!) but had to make a flying visit re YC!!!! When I got my last AD and unpacked them, I managed to whack the Perfect Tree and crack the glass so I have been burning it out of order (I know!!!!) to get it safely past the cracks and I LOVE it!!! I think it is fresh pine without the whiff of loo cleaner, really nice. Now it is safe I shall leave it until Xmas.

I have only cold sniffed the Spiced White Cocoa but I think it has a lot of milkiness to it.

Must dash!!!

:mysmilie_59:

burning christmas magic its nice a good throw. its fruity and has a good dash of pine which i always like.

Latest posts

Back