Yankee Candles TSV 18/10/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

winter glow is strong i had that in a large jar its nice. sometimes i think the scent gets lost in some candles. then it reappears again.........hopefully!

I love Winter Glow, I treated myself to another one this year. However, I have to report an issue with Bakery Air. It smelt really light in the jar, rather,pleasant. Well, once lit it is a BEAST!!! The scent is overpowering for the first couple of burns and the flame was leaping straight through the illuma lid, about four inches tall despite a really trimmed wick. I had to get a lampshade out, in fact I didn't want to risk a glass one so have my least favourite Xmas China one on it. That at least cut the smell.

I am also spotting a wick issue in the Japanese Cherry Blossom WJ jar. The flames are leaping around as if in a terrible draught but no other flame in here is doing that and this was half way down the jar. I think I have a candle poltergeist! At least that gave me a reason to get out the jar candle holder, the opaque, milky glass one. I think AndiK got it too. It's lovely, but the flames are still dancing away. And I don't live in a big, draughty house.

:mysmilie_59:

I love Winter Glow, I treated myself to another one this year. However, I have to report an issue with Bakery Air. It smelt really light in the jar, rather,pleasant. Well, once lit it is a BEAST!!! The scent is overpowering for the first couple of burns and the flame was leaping straight through the illuma lid, about four inches tall despite a really trimmed wick. I had to get a lampshade out, in fact I didn't want to risk a glass one so have my least favourite Xmas China one on it. That at least cut the smell.

I am also spotting a wick issue in the Japanese Cherry Blossom WJ jar. The flames are leaping around as if in a terrible draught but no other flame in here is doing that and this was half way down the jar. I think I have a candle poltergeist! At least that gave me a reason to get out the jar candle holder, the opaque, milky glass one. I think AndiK got it too. It's lovely, but the flames are still dancing away. And I don't live in a big, draughty house.

This is not good. YC BAs always boast that they match the wick to the wax/fragrance composition, so there is no excuse... unless they don't do that and simply sling whatever wick into every candle... but it would explain why they used to do the wick matching if some candles in the same range go bananas and others have a sensible burn.

Given you are seasoned veteran of burning YC candles, and all of us have our kit of candle management items, there is nothing left to chance... except manufacturing vagaries!

So more candles join the roster of shame - Golden Sands must now share the honour of being a difficult burn.

Calling all candle lovers - I need some advice...

I decided to give the Spiced White Cocoa a chance, and burned it solo yesterday for an hour. It still smells dire to me. Any recommendations about what might make a good burning partner for it?

The only other one in this set I have burned is the Macaron Treats, and that is so quiet and unassuming that I can't smell anything when it's lit.

Both the wicks are spindly beyond belief, and mushroomed far too much for my liking after only a short (1 hour) burn. The wicks don't look bad until you light them. Their slenderness is cunningly disguised by the lavish coating of wax around them. When I compare the wick size to other candles of similar dimensions, from other brands, I can safely say it would take 4 YC wicks to make 1 wick in another candle.

Not up to snuff.

How about Home Sweet Home if you can find it? Quite a gentle food and spice type of scent. I have only cold sniffed SWC and cannot remember it too well, sorry.

I wish that QVC would offer another brand. You know Yankee are not the bestest ever smelly jar candles. I begin to wonder if there is these days a connection between Yankee and QVC USA, I must look into that.

I wish that QVC would offer another brand. You know Yankee are not the bestest ever smelly jar candles. I begin to wonder if there is these days a connection between Yankee and QVC USA, I must look into that.

they used to offer lots acutally but the most popular was yankee so the others started to leave & went from there & TBH its each to their own but mum & i will only use yankee as nothing else compares but as i say its each to their own

burning eucalptus (normal not world journey) & its amazing & brilliant for clearing your nose

I like Yankee, but I also like Colony and used it for years, I still use it now with Yankee as well as Prices.

I just get bored with the same old Yankee TSVs and wish the gaps were longer. Having said that I also sometimes do them on multi order every 90 days.

I have, I think, a wax melt in Home Sweet Home. I'll try it. Thank you!
I had another thought. How about White Tea from the Pure Essence series. I found that quite strong and very grounded IYKWIM. It depends on how strong your SWC is. If it is like my rogue Bakery Air, nothing, repeat nothing, would have gone with and calmed that down. I was burning Vanilla (Pure Essence not French) with it and it was totally swamped, but it is on its own now and very pleasant.

My problem is I have very few "foodie" scented candles. Mainly mine are fresh or floral.

The recent set had a few other "foodie" scents... I could try to drown it out with Berry Trifle, I suppose, but when you think Spiced White Cocoa you don't naturally think of pairing it with Berry Trifle... unless it smells quite milky to you. It doesn't smell milky to me, but even if it did, I don't like milk so it wouldn't be a selling point.

I have wondered about maybe Banana Nut Bread (one of my few large sized foodie candles) perhaps being strong enough to calm it down... not sure if I can face going into The Stash (TM) to retrieve this candle, but the alternative would be burning SWC solo again which I don't want to do.

I think I have melts of White Tea and Vanilla, so will also dig those out if I rummage for BNB.

Confessions of a candle-aholic, they are doing a great offer at the YC shop. 2 full size candles for £35 or 3 for £49.
I bought full size of the Christmas Magic, and The Perfect Tree, plus the US fragrance Holiday Sage.

Latest posts

Back