Mrs Holmes Strictly appearance

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Oh dear, I bet there were a few tears in the Holmes household last night. If ever there were grins through gritted teeth then Ruth gave it her all after her dance with Anton. She made a good fist of it, but (and this is the trouble with Strictly), there is so much hype beforehand about what and who the celebrities are dancing for, yet after a 2 WEEK rehearsal period still make a dog's breakfast of their performance. Will she get past week 2 one wonders.

Much and all as I love Strictly I am fully aware of the producers manipulation by giving the favourites and headline grabbers dances to get them through the first few weeks until they get on top of it. We see it Year and year however it doesn't always go their way thank goodness.

Poor Simon Rimmer and Brian Connelly were dealt the bum deal whilst the sweet young things got away with shaking their booty.

I was never keen on Debbie Magee but she more than held her own (but goodness who wouldn't love to give her a makeover and bring her into the 21st century).

I did say Anton gets the duffers:mysmilie_17: and this year is no different. I have noticed someone on the QVC Facebook already saying they will vote for her next week.

Debbie has ballet training and kept it up, no doubt as exercise. But she is 58 and sorry looks much older heavy smoker perhaps? Very wrinkled round the mouth. She did Celeb Masterchef this time and loads of people shocked she is only 58.

I liked Simon and thought very difficult first dance compared to say a cha cha or a waltz.

Molly King is another duffer despite being a pretty blond young thing.

Mrs Holmes Strictly appearance

I haven't watched last nights show yet, tbh they have got rid of most of my favourite pros. I think Mrs Holmes will be ok for quite a few weeks regardless of how she perform, for some reason Anton seem to have a big fan base.

Have watched Strictly from the beginning but wish they'd make the following changes:

Bring back the Saturday night results show. I read it was only changed cos it made it a late night for Brucie but now it's probably more to do with competing with The X Factor but I'm sure more people would prefer it live. Especially annoys me how they make a point of saying the Saturday show is live but they gloss over how it isn't on Sunday. I always check who has gone on DS (as I'm sure many others do!) so the Sunday night show is redundant.

Bring back the two dance a week format with half the contestants doing the same ballroom & the other half doing the same latin. When they did it this way it was easier to judge the performance & the more difficult dances were introduced in the later weeks & so were danced better.

Last year the costumes were more covered up as they said it was a family show, IMO I think they've gone too far the other way & should be a bit more revealing.

And last but by no means least stop that cringeworthy bit where the judges preen & prance about at the beginning.

PS Thought Shirley would be awful but she was OK.

Much and all as I love Strictly I am fully aware of the producers manipulation by giving the favourites and headline grabbers dances to get them through the first few weeks until they get on top of it. We see it Year and year however it doesn't always go their way thank goodness.

Poor Simon Rimmer and Brian Connelly were dealt the bum deal whilst the sweet young things got away with shaking their booty.

I was never keen on Debbie Magee but she more than held her own (but goodness who wouldn't love to give her a makeover and bring her into the 21st century).

I agree. Its down to the hairstyle I think. Angela Rippon and Jan Leeming have the same issues. Nothing ages a woman more than a bunch of fabric at the back of the head. McGee needs to get her hair chopped - with her small features an elfin cut would do wonders for her. There's also the right attitude - I'm almost 70 but refuse to have the 'librarian' chop or the 'crafters' crop. Short grey (silver white excepted) hair and specs have no saving graces for anyone.

Stopped watching after they got rid of Lilia Kopylova and hubby Darren Bennett, sexy coconuts as Arlene Phillips called her.

People on Twitter were getting fed up with her mentioning Strictly Come Dancing on This Morning.

Lilia had a baby last year and surprisingly carried a LOT of weight the last time I saw her afterwards.

I remember Debbie Magee always going on about being a professional dancer and hubby setting her up with a short lived dance studio business. Now ofcourse its "50 years since I did ballet " when it's obvious the woman uses dance classes as a part of her fitness routine. I think her problem will be her personality as she grates a lot but she deserves to go through on ability until we can no longer stick her voice!

Have watched Strictly from the beginning but wish they'd make the following changes:

Bring back the Saturday night results show. I read it was only changed cos it made it a late night for Brucie but now it's probably more to do with competing with The X Factor but I'm sure more people would prefer it live. Especially annoys me how they make a point of saying the Saturday show is live but they gloss over how it isn't on Sunday. I always check who has gone on DS (as I'm sure many others do!) so the Sunday night show is redundant.

Bring back the two dance a week format with half the contestants doing the same ballroom & the other half doing the same latin. When they did it this way it was easier to judge the performance & the more difficult dances were introduced in the later weeks & so were danced better.

Last year the costumes were more covered up as they said it was a family show, IMO I think they've gone too far the other way & should be a bit more revealing.

And last but by no means least stop that cringeworthy bit where the judges preen & prance about at the beginning.

PS Thought Shirley would be awful but she was OK.

I'm the same. Have seen every series. I agree about the dances. I think its unfair to give people the paso and the jive in their first week when others get much easier dances. As you say, they should all do the same two dances over the two weeks to make it fair. I liked Shirley and I wasn't sure whether I would. At least she gives a good critique. Don't miss Len.

Ruth will probably been in a lot longer than she should at the expense of better dancers. Debbie clearly has carried on dancing. She would never be able to do those high kicks if she hadn't keep herself supple. Still its nice to see an older contestant doing well.

I agree, the jive should be a dance saved for 5 or 6 weeks in because of the speed and intense skill needed. Sadly Ruth couldn't master the waltz in 2 weeks training, so I think the jive would have killed her off - it still might !

I remember last year the people from Strictly answered the question about just two dances should be done in a show. They replied viewers found this boring. I don't, as said here it gives a much better idea comparing each couple doing the same thing.

I was actually shocked at the high marks given by Craig of all people. I thought someone had replaced him with a double as no way did he ever give 7 or 8 in the first week. Hell hardly handed them out coming to the quarter finals.

RTE the Irish Channel used to show the US version over a two night period. They had lifts galore and the farting around before the dance started, to cut the actual dancing time down with the sitting at tablets etc. The UK started not long after that suddenly doing the same. Len never commented about illegal lifts at all on there. The Charleston and the Jitterbug danced as well at the jive. We got the Charlestion but so far not the jitterbug.

I can't really comment much because I'm not an avid fan but I usually dipped in and out in fact I think Saturdays are the worst tv nights, I'm always short on what to watch. I did watch the first week, but there is no-one who has inspired me to watch a second time.

I am not an avid strictly viewer, so I'm nowhere near an expert on the subject, however I did catch most of it last night

I couldn't shake the feeling that it was skewed in favour of Langsford and a couple of the others, but especially Ruth Langsford.

Anton is the king of ballroom, can dance Latin but is poor in the Latin choreography, hasn't the originality of the younger ones.

Ruth as Anton's partner isn't going anywhere soon, it would be a different kettle of fish if she was partnered with some of the lesser known ones (but then she would be much too old for them which had been a problem in other years, no one enjoys the Cougar look)

Anton is the king of ballroom, can dance Latin but is poor in the Latin choreography, hasn't the originality of the younger ones.

Ruth as Anton's partner isn't going anywhere soon, it would be a different kettle of fish if she was partnered with some of the lesser known ones (but then she would be much too old for them which had been a problem in other years, no one enjoys the Cougar look)

There would be an obvious exit for him either joining the judging panel, or presenting in some capacity on the show or the it takes two spinoff.

I liked him, but I haven't really watched it properly since the second series. Is Brendan Cole still on it? Funny how the male dancers seemed to have a longer shelf life than the women.

I suppose it's easier for the males to combine parenthood than the females.

And the non UK ladies can make a bit of a name for themselves and then go back to their country in a higher profile capacity than they could ever have done before and who can blame them.

Lilia had a baby last year and surprisingly carried a LOT of weight the last time I saw her afterwards.

I remember Debbie Magee always going on about being a professional dancer and hubby setting her up with a short lived dance studio business. Now ofcourse its "50 years since I did ballet " when it's obvious the woman uses dance classes as a part of her fitness routine. I think her problem will be her personality as she grates a lot but she deserves to go through on ability until we can no longer stick her voice!

I remember her hubby financing a ballet show she wanted to put on.

Latest posts

Back