More annoying adverts / idents

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Has the QVC graphics department employed a teenager on work experience who thinks they're at MTV? What is with all the stupid jingles and idents? I particularly hate the stupid swoop / swoosh sound effects not to mention the kiss / lip-smacking ones. And what's with all the head-banging music that accompanies the Dyson promos? Does QVC think their moribund audience will appreciate that? More than everything I f***ing HATE that annoying four-note sting: "daaa, doo DEEE, daaaa!" thing they play whenever they cut back to the studio.

Has the QVC graphics department employed a teenager on work experience who thinks they're at MTV? What is with all the stupid jingles and idents? I particularly hate the stupid swoop / swoosh sound effects not to mention the kiss / lip-smacking ones. And what's with all the head-banging music that accompanies the Dyson promos? Does QVC think their moribund audience will appreciate that? More than everything I f***ing HATE that annoying four-note sting: "daaa, doo DEEE, daaaa!" thing they play whenever they cut back to the studio.

I am too moribund to press the QVC button on my TV remote

Well, the last Dyson TSV was called, 'Motorhead'.:mysmilie_14:

The perpetual trailing of the Dyson Supersonic in "exclusive purple" is beyond irritating. On a channel which is one long commercial, it's rather jarring to see something which resembles an actual commercial on every other "break" in the programming.

QVC clearly think that "more is more", when actually the more often they put this stuff on, the more they alienate regular watchers. What they seem to care about the most is the "passing trade"... probably because the regular watchers are spending way less than they ever used to. But they never stop to ask themselves why the regular audiences are buying less (and watching less). Perhaps they should give that a bit of thought.

Yes Julius I think I know the one you mean and it is annoying I only channel hop on for seconds at a time and always, repeat always, have the remote within mute distance, but yes, I agree there's no need for it and let's face it, it's the QVC customer paying for all those unnecessary adverts, and there are a lot of adverts.

I wonder if they used the same PR company they had in "Twenty Twelve"

Sorry - can't post the YouTube link so google "the olympic audio logo twenty twelve" and it should come up on YouTube.

Sick to the back teeth of seeing that Dyson hairdyer advertised! They are obviously not flogging enough if they are having to push it like this.

I don't get the demos of the Dyson hairdryer. I mean it dries your hair, same as any other drier. I have a lot of thick frizzy hair and my babyliss travel drier blasts through it in less than 5 mins. Think it cost me £19.99 and it does a very good job. Dries it straight too if I make the effort.

CC

Sick to the back teeth of seeing that Dyson hairdyer advertised! They are obviously not flogging enough if they are having to push it like this.

Who wants to dry their hair with what seems like an overpriced, oversized polo mint? I was going through a box of stuff the other day and found my mum's old hairdryer. It is a Clairol 500 in a nice shade of pea / avocado green. I was too scared to plug it in and try it. I remember watching re-runs of Coronation Street back in the 90s and seem to recall Ken Barlow's girlfriend getting electrocuted by a hairdryer. I don't need a hairdryer anyway I just let it dry naturally or turn up the fan in the vehicle.

I think the Dyson hairdryer is a very expensive gimmick. .....oh but don't forget it comes in purple and nickel so you just have to get one! What a load of rubbish!

Well, if it's anything like the cordless vacuum from Dyson it will be crap. Mr CC very kindly bought me one (eh, why?), it was over £300 and it was a piece of nonsense since the day I first used it. It went in next door's skip eventually as I could no longer be bothered with it. Waste of money.

CC

The Dyson dryer has had terrible reviews and at that price you'd expect it to make your breakfast too. They go on about how it'll save you ten minutes, TEN MINUTES! drying your hair, if people are that busy they can't spare those extra ten minutes when drying their hair, then I think they need to take a step back, because there's a problem, but of course that's just a story QVC like to spin, making out everyone is that busy they can't spare ten minutes when we all know that's a load of bullpoop.

The Dyson dryer has had terrible reviews and at that price you'd expect it to make your breakfast too. They go on about how it'll save you ten minutes, TEN MINUTES! drying your hair, if people are that busy they can't spare those extra ten minutes when drying their hair, then I think they need to take a step back, because there's a problem, but of course that's just a story QVC like to spin, making out everyone is that busy they can't spare ten minutes when we all know that's a load of bullpoop.

Only someone with Farrah Fawcett hair would need to spend 10 minutes drying it. My hair is very short - almost army / crew cut style so I just rub it with a towel and BAM! That's it! I never fail to be astonished by QVC's overpriced offerings. I think we ought to have a permanent thread on here to make people aware of cheaper and better alternatives on the dreaded "high street."

My grandmother always used to say: "There are two sorts of people in this world - those that spend money to save time and those that spend time to save money."

Only someone with Farrah Fawcett hair would need to spend 10 minutes drying it. My hair is very short - almost army / crew cut style so I just rub it with a towel and BAM! That's it! I never fail to be astonished by QVC's overpriced offerings. I think we ought to have a permanent thread on here to make people aware of cheaper and better alternatives on the dreaded "high street."

My grandmother always used to say: "There are two sorts of people in this world - those that spend money to save time and those that spend time to save money."

You can Julius it's on the "Reasons Not To Shop With QVC" section of the forum, if you find cheaper alternatives (which isn't difficult, it's QVC we're talking about) post them there. Your nan sounds very wise, my nan was frugal too............and swore a lot, she'd put a Docker to shame. :mysmilie_17: she was great though, bless her soul. :mysmilie_3:

Completely agree with you there, Shopper. I guess QVC can't exactly say much about the "value" element of that hairdryer, given that it's some 10 or 20 times more expensive than most other hairdryers out there, therefore they are honing in on the convenience aspect of it. Woopoodee doo! People can save 10 minutes drying their Michele Hope-style hairdo and spend a further 10 minutes in front of the goggle box deciding what other overpriced tripe (that they really don't need) to buy. Perhaps some gloopy overpriced skin cream fronted by some plastic surgeried has-been, or maybe some berry-scented screenwash for their car for £20 (when the £2.50 one in Asda is just as good).
One thing I do find QVC good for is learning about different kinds of products available - which can be sourced elsewhere for less. For example that electrically-heated clothes dryer thing - there's one in Argos for a fraction of the price and it will save me traipsing to the launderette to dry my clothes.

Completely agree with you there, Shopper. I guess QVC can't exactly say much about the "value" element of that hairdryer, given that it's some 10 or 20 times more expensive than most other hairdryers out there, therefore they are honing in on the convenience aspect of it. Woopoodee doo! People can save 10 minutes drying their Michele Hope-style hairdo and spend a further 10 minutes in front of the goggle box deciding what other overpriced tripe (that they really don't need) to buy. Perhaps some gloopy overpriced skin cream fronted by some plastic surgeried has-been, or maybe some berry-scented screenwash for their car for £20 (when the £2.50 one in Asda is just as good).
One thing I do find QVC good for is learning about different kinds of products available - which can be sourced elsewhere for less. For example that electrically-heated clothes dryer thing - there's one in Argos for a fraction of the price and it will save me traipsing to the launderette to dry my clothes.

Aldi had these airers for £29.99 they've sold out on line but if you're lucky you might grab one in store. They are great but I'll be honest, if I'd have bought QVCs/Lakelands (I wouldn't but let's pretend) it would be going straight back as you still need to move the clothes around to dry evenly, a little snippet they missed out whilst trying to flog the £150 one. Doubles up as a nice little room warmer too though, so all in all I'd recommend you get the Argos one because I'm glad I got my Aldi one.

You can Julius it's on the "Reasons Not To Shop With QVC" section of the forum, if you find cheaper alternatives (which isn't difficult, it's QVC we're talking about) post them there. Your nan sounds very wise, my nan was frugal too............and swore a lot, she'd put a Docker to shame. :mysmilie_17: she was great though, bless her soul. :mysmilie_3:

Ah, now I see where you get it from :mysmilie_12:

I think many/most of us on here do this now. Even the things that I do consider buying from QVC, I'll go away and read up elsewhere because of the lack of info on QVC.

Who wants to dry their hair with what seems like an overpriced, oversized polo mint? I was going through a box of stuff the other day and found my mum's old hairdryer. It is a Clairol 500 in a nice shade of pea / avocado green. I was too scared to plug it in and try it. I remember watching re-runs of Coronation Street back in the 90s and seem to recall Ken Barlow's girlfriend getting electrocuted by a hairdryer. I don't need a hairdryer anyway I just let it dry naturally or turn up the fan in the vehicle.

It was his wife Valerie who was electrocuted with a hairdryer and that was in 1971, doesn't time fly?

Latest posts

Back