If QVC close your account...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Targaryen

Registered Shopper
So I've seen a few posts recently on Qs Facebook page about people receiving "The Letter" or having their account closed because of too many returns.
I was just wondering whether Qs computer systems are sophisticated enough to stop you from just setting up a new account. By using a different email and payment method would it fool the system into thinking you're a brand new customer? Or does your address become blacklisted? Which would mean no one else your household could open an account?

I think if you order by phone their system recognises your number. A more knowledgeable member will clarify this. I love Amazon and with so many drop off points (Morrisons have lockers and my local newsagents have signed up to it) I don't need to worry if my parcel ends up in or near my bin!

They block the address, and anyone associated with that address. Even if they suss that someone is ordering on your behalf, they'll block them too. They can even tell who your internet provider is, they know your bank card so you can't order through your bank, funny how they can't put auto delivery on easy payments, but they know all ways to stop you, and your family, from ordering. I closed my account about four years ago and told THEM to bugger off (best thing I ever did) because apart from them being dearer than elsewhere else and consistently getting other people's returns, the service was absolutely dire, so I ask myself why would anyone want to shop with the dinosaurs, especially dinosaurs that treat you like poop.

Yesterday one woman who had her account blocked was told she could write a letter of appeal to the finance department. I mean come on, how desperate would you have to be.

If they closed my account there would be no way I'd be looking for a way to 'get back in'.

Same here. When I saw the heading "If QVC close your account", I thought the post was going to go on to say "why would you want to carry on shopping with them?". Because I know I wouldn't. Yes, they have some bargains and some things you can't get elsewhere, but my pride would definitely stop me, and my money has been hard earned so they wouldn't get another penny.

I think if you order by phone their system recognises your number. A more knowledgeable member will clarify this. I love Amazon and with so many drop off points (Morrisons have lockers and my local newsagents have signed up to it) I don't need to worry if my parcel ends up in or near my bin!

Yes, I have rung from my home phone when I've had a query and they always greet me by name when I answer. They do have my mobile as well, I recently realised, as they have started sending me occasional texts. And I second the vote for Amazon.

Yesterday one woman who had her account blocked was told she could write a letter of appeal to the finance department. I mean come on, how desperate would you have to be.

I wouldn't write to appeal as I don't beg, but I might write to put them right on a few facts, especially if they had accused me of too many returns or something (doubtful as I have returned a tiny fraction over the years).

Oh I'm the same, if they cancelled my account I wouldn't want to shop with them again. I was just wondering because Qs website technology and general customer service procedures are so ancient that there are probably "loopholes" in the system.
You can easily change your IP address and use an alternate email and payment payment so wondered if the systems were sophisticated enough to pick it up.
So if your account was cancelled it would mean that if your husband had an account that would be cancelled too? Because it's the same address? Seems a little harsh. What if you move to a house that has been blacklisted.

I know if you use Spotify or Netflix you can get multiple free month trials if you use different emails and payment methods.

Yes anyone associated with the address were the account was closed will also be banned from shopping at QVC. Every new account at some point makes its way to be vetted by their Finance Department so I suppose if you initially manage to get through, it'll only be a stay of execution. The only way around it I suppose would be to move home and open a new bank account, and are the ancient, expensive, up their own backside, QVC who don't value their own customers really worth all that messing?..............absolutely not.

They assume that if you get someone to order for you, you'll still return the items so the end result won't change, that's why it's the address that's banned as opposed to the person, that's what I've read over the years anyway from disgruntled QVC customers who were under the impression that QVC were part of the family, as soon as you fall out of line though, you'll find they're anything but. QVC have massive delusions of grandeur thinking that you should be grateful they even allow you to shop with them whilst paying over the odds for other people's used items. When I closed my account I got a call from a woman a couple of days after who asked me why I did it, boy was she sorry she asked. :mysmilie_17:

It's amazing how ruthlessly competent they are when it suits them!

Where on the website does it spell out the behaviours which risk "the letter"?

Given that allegedly they cannot differentiate between returns because of their own behaviour, and customers' own behaviour.

" Buy one in each colour", "Buy one in each size"...
QVC sending out the wrong size/style/colour/product.
QVC sending out soiled/used/damaged goods.
QVC sending out goods badly packaged so transit damage occurs.
QVC exclusive items for which they fail to provide information about allergens or culturally/ethically unacceptable components.
The list could go on.
Yes, caveat emptor - let the buyer beware, but when customers are encouraged by half truths, misinformation or absent information ... And when QVC no longer even care why customers are returning items... You have to feel that QVC have it all their own way.

I have to ask myself why I still sometimes shop with them!

It was four years ago but went along the lines of, she said can I ask why after twenty years you decided to close your account?.............I told her that I was more likely to get a used item than a new one I paid full price for, I told her I even had used beauty items which she denied, well that was it I seen red, I told her I don't tell lies, certainly wouldn't lie to a faceless company like QVC, I told her I'm sick and tired of it being hit and miss as to what condition my items will be in, I also pointed out that I begrudge paying for QVCs over heads, I think I mentioned the p&p too, it went on for about half an hour then told her I would never, ever shop with them again, that's why I closed my account as opposed to not just buying from them again, so I wanted my details removed...............I also told her, as my parting shot, that I've had better treatment from Ideal World and will now only Tv shop with them in future (which is true I have) she didn't like that and I just thanked her for calling and to have a good day.............or thereabouts, shopper was polite my forum buddies, but firm and honest......phew! :mysmilie_3:

It was four years ago but went along the lines of, she said can I ask why after twenty years you decided to close your account?.............I told her that I was more likely to get a used item than a new one I paid full price for, I told her I even had used beauty items which she denied, well that was it I seen red, I told her I don't tell lies, certainly wouldn't lie to a faceless company like QVC, I told her I'm sick and tired of it being hit and miss as to what condition my items will be in, I also pointed out that I begrudge paying for QVCs over heads, I think I mentioned the 0&p too, it went on for about half an hour then told her I would never, ever shop with them again, that's why I closed my account as opposed to not just buying from them again, so I wanted my details removed...............I also told her, as my parting shot, that I've had better treatment from Ideal World and will now only Tv shop with them from in future, she didn't like that and I just thanked her for calling and to have a good day.............or thereabouts, shopper was polite my forum buddies, but firm and honest......phew! :mysmilie_3:

Good for you! Sadly they haven't had the sense or decency to take any of that on board it seems! You would think a loyal 20+ year account holder would carry some weight with them when you said about your awful customer experience, but no, much easier to suggest you're a liar!!! It's amazing the level of contempt for their customers. Most may not have had quite such a series of bad experiences but many have had at least a sample of QVC customer service on this level.

Thanks for sharing, Shopperholic.

Latest posts

Back