Prosecco Anyone?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dream Girl

Registered Shopper
Oh my word just turned on a few minutes ago with Claire on with food to hear her say teachers gift of a bottle of prosecco! and prosecco truffles at £19
If that's going on sorry tuning out thanks
:mysmilie_13:

Have just been into Aldi and they`ve started selling their Christmas chocolates, biscuits, drink etc and there are some lovely gifts amongst them for just a few pounds.

Oh my word just turned on a few minutes ago with Claire on with food to hear her say teachers gift of a bottle of prosecco! and prosecco truffles at £19

Do I have time to train as a teacher to get the prosecco?

Maybe the school crossing would be better as you can get Kitchen Aid mixers there!

I have to admit I did hear in the past Debbie Greenwood talking about buying a Kipling bag as a teachers gift - they were cheaper then but even so!!
I would have thought the gift is really intended as from the child to his or her teacher, so an expensive or alcoholic gift does seem inappropriate but maybe that's just me.

When did all this giving presents to teachers start? Is it American, never had this when I went to school in the early 60's.

I must be a rotten Mother I never bought teachers gifts....they got a handmade card from my children (if they'd been a good teacher)!!

Giving gifts to primary school teachers at Christmas is quite commonplace. However, her children are at high school so I can't understand why she would still do this unless she still imagines herself as a 'mummy' to small people or just wants to be seen as Lady Bountiful. I bet her kids get talked about...

I'm a 70s kid and no-one gave presents to teachers. That would have been seen as weird, plus whichever poor kid had a parent who did that would find themselves pretty unpopular really quickly

Teacher's gifts IMO is a practise which should be stopped.It must put pressure on parents to compete as to who can come up with the most impressive present?A small card at the very most is all that should be necessary. Prosecco or anything else of that value is ridiculous.

As a 50's child my mum got small smellies or sweets for our teachers/brownie leader/Sunday school teacher etc. So it's not an entirely new thing. Mind you I think it was bath cubes or talc (probably unbranded) not Q's idea at £20 plus.

Working for the local county council I am not allowed to accept gifts. However teachers who work for the very same county council can! How is that right?

I was at school in the 60s and early 70s. I never gave a teacher, Sunday school teacher or brownie/guide leader a present, and I never saw anyone else do it either. It's definitely a big thing now though, my friend's daughter is a primary school teacher and gets quite a haul when breaking up at the end of summer!

When I was in school, junior and infant, the teacher was never given a present, when I was in senior (many moons ago) we wouldn't be seen dead taking a teacher a present in, so I wonder when all this "gifting" to school teachers started. Could you imagine the preferential treatment your child would get if they gave their teacher an iPad Air for Christmas, what?! no favouritism?! ok, just a small box of Roses it is then. :mysmilie_17:

No gifts in my day or for my childrens teachers.We were too busy keeping our heads above water financially.Those were the days of rampant inflation and recessions.

Like everything these days it all gets very competitive and an excuse one upmanship and can even lead to bullying. Teacher Gift giving should be banned in schools.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back