Gill Gauntlett

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
What DID she look like on that hour with Katy Pullinger? Her overgrown fringe looked awful, like Cath Huntley's "coconut shy" hairdo (remember that one) but worse, with a straggly rat tail of a wisp of hair coming down on either side. She probably has the worst voice of any guest presenter in QVC. That horrid, common, grating voice! Eugh! She was demonstrating "gifting bags" for people too lazy to wrap presents properly.

Why is she even on QVC? What insight does she bring? they should bring back Adrienne Cleasby and Jilly Jones.

GG would love a job with QVC, you can tell. She's so nasally, mind you so is the other woman who presents Wet and Forget and anything that Magnifies, good job I don't work in that studio though, I'd be so tempted to keep running up with a tissue, shoving it over their nose and shouting "blow!!"

The nasal thing seems commonplace with estuary accents, Gill may not be able to change that, but it would be worth a try for a career in television. It doesn't sound great to me either, but I know my regional accent is perfect either. What does annoy me is the lack of good diction, does no one in the media have any desire to communicate clearly?

boring old f@rt rant over!

The nasal thing seems commonplace with estuary accents, Gill may not be able to change that, but it would be worth a try for a career in television. It doesn't sound great to me either, but I know my regional accent is perfect either. What does annoy me is the lack of good diction, does no one in the media have any desire to communicate clearly?

boring old f@rt rant over!

I totally agree. Regional accents, even those not so easy on the ear, are to be cherished, but sloppy diction, repeated sound bites, talking through their arse, all screeched at the top of their voice makes my blood boil.

Equally boring old fart.

I totally agree. Regional accents, even those not so easy on the ear, are to be cherished, but sloppy diction, repeated sound bites, talking through their arse, all screeched at the top of their voice makes my blood boil.

Equally boring old fart.

Add me to the list of b.o.f.s then :mysmilie_8:

While I know many of us find ourselves gritting our teeth with Catherine Huntley's compliment-fishing, her voice and diction are excellent - not too slow or too fast.

Generally, if they want to sell to us - a good start is to speak clearly and don't irritate us.

Sadly diction is a thing of the past. Accents are everything to the tv channels, which means an end to proper pronunciation.

Lots of the newer tv presenters (generally ex footballers), struggle with TH and instead becomes F (think becomes fink). 'Cool' is also used frequently,- Chloe is a big proponent of the word, as is Craig. Another one is the word 'guys', even when addressing females. Just imagine a couple of blokes similarly addressed as 'ladies' - (don't think too deeply about THAT one !).

Yes language changes, but the way we speak shouldn't.

Katy Pullinger's voice is one of the worst, but the absolute worst is Miceal, not his accent I hasten to add, but his voice, the way he runs his words into one speeded up drone.

Sadly diction is a thing of the past. Accents are everything to the tv channels, which means an end to proper pronunciation.

Lots of the newer tv presenters (generally ex footballers), struggle with TH and instead becomes F (think becomes fink). 'Cool' is also used frequently,- Chloe is a big proponent of the word, as is Craig. Another one is the word 'guys', even when addressing females. Just imagine a couple of blokes similarly addressed as 'ladies' - (don't think too deeply about THAT one !).

Yes language changes, but the way we speak shouldn't.

2 of my top 10 hates. VERY unique is probably number 1.

Chloe came out with one this morning but for the life of me I can't remember it as it was a totally made up word.

Speaking as we were of Miss Chloe, this morning she was flogging jewellery with an initial on it. She thought it would be "cool" to have a random letter representing your favourite word, she would choose S for serendipity. Imagine someone seeing your bracelet and asking you what your name was and you offered up that explanation.

2 of my top 10 hates. VERY unique is probably number 1.

Chloe came out with one this morning but for the life of me I can't remember it as it was a totally made up word.

Speaking as we were of Miss Chloe, this morning she was flogging jewellery with an initial on it. She thought it would be "cool" to have a random letter representing your favourite word, she would choose S for serendipity. Imagine someone seeing your bracelet and asking you what your name was and you offered up that explanation.

I think the majority of people who see a letter "S" hanging from Chloe Everton's wrist would assume it stands for "Stupid" and they'd be absolutely right.

Come on Shopper, own up! Chloe's wearing "S" because you're one and the same! Well we've never seen you together at the same time....:thinking: ... :wait: Nah your posts are too eloquent to be our Chlo! :mysmilie_59:

:mysmilie_487:

I'm sure the feverish gabbling of information is a reaction to this need QVC have to cover as many products in an "hour" as possible. Nothing gets covered properly, and with the incessant talkback in the ear - ad break coming up channel hoppers need to know about the TSV or whatever... They don't have time to think about what they are saying or how they say it, and forget about actually listening to the guests and interacting with guest, model (where applicable) or the audience (aka the customers).

The running together of words has become almost the norm. We. want. to. hear. about. the. product. so. please. tell. us. about. the. product.
They have their stock of irritating QVC-isms (until stocks last, advanced orders, exclusive etc), then there is the vocabulary-poverty of too many presenters and their own ill-judged stock phrases. Chloe is unfortunately a stand-out example of nothing-sayings, but she's far from the only one who falls back on meaningless phrases.
I dare say Ali Keenan would be informative and clear to hear, if only she would slow down; same with Pipa.
You can't accuse Simon Biagi of being hard to hear, but he is clearly Chloe's equal in banal drivel, but he takes it to another level by doing it extremely loudly.
And with all of the torrent of speech, we are still deprived of timely, relevant information about the products supposedly being presented.
I'll go and calm down now...

the presenting of any qvc show has become the least concern to most of the presenters. showing off, overselling, shouting, finger pointing, preening and some tall story telling (lies) all make for a very inadequate show

I think the majority of people who see a letter "S" hanging from Chloe Everton's wrist would assume it stands for "Stupid" and they'd be absolutely right.

Considering the contents of her tweets while at Sky Sports I think there are a few other words starting with S that could describe Ms Everton.

Considering the contents of her tweets while at Sky Sports I think there are a few other words starting with S that could describe Ms Everton.

Yeah I agree Twilight, those Tweets were right near the knuckle.......,....amongst other places. :mysmilie