The Continuing Downward Slide of TJC - Page 2




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr tom View Post
    Happy new year to people of the tjc forum

    I noticed tjc are selling ''sexy shoo'' a product that bid tv used to sell. This cannot be good surely?
    Happy New Year! No, it's not the sign of a successful business if you're either shilling Bid-level tat or employing ex-Bid presenters who have proven little or no understanding of honest salesmanship. Hello, Caroline Lyndsay!

    Having the buyers on is supposedly because they can do "special deals" that no-one else can do. Unfortunately, Amit and co. are generally incomprehensible, they drag the auctions out for hours with hundreds of ludicrous price drops (so you have lost the will to live, never mind buy by the time they gets to the final price), and are invariably over-aggressive with the viewers and rude to the supposed presenters. They are an instant channel hop to something more watchable.

    But if you are a regular viewer of TJC, you realise very quickly that the channel uses lots of tricks to generate sales, most of which completely contradict each other.

    These include, but aren't limited to:

    1. The buyer sets the price, so when they appear on screen they can do special deals. Or they telephone in at random times to give new lower prices so the "computer needs authorisation for the new price to be input". As you do

    2. The presenter "throws a wobbly" and allegedly goes lower than anyone expects. This apparently in no way contradicts 1. It also doesn't contradict the statements by various presenters that they don't set prices, they are employed simply to stand in front of a camera and regurgitate the info TJC wants them to.

    3. The producer throws caution to the wind and sets a lower than expected price. This also doesn't contradict 1.

    4. The presenter (mostly Best Supporting Actress nominee Mark Gould), despite having sat through the pre-show prep that most other presenters allude to occasionally that they do before every show, will loudly and floridly exclaim their deep shock at how low some items' prices are (as per Sally Jacks and St Peter of Simon). This in no way contradicts 1
    Thanks Avid thanked for this post
    Likes mr tom liked this post
     

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ADVERTISING
    Quote Originally Posted by VapidStoat View Post
    But if you are a regular viewer of TJC, you realise very quickly that the channel uses lots of tricks to generate sales, most of which completely contradict each other.
    There's Chloe price: that's the price that only Chloe gets. Other presenters do not get access to these special prices because they are not Chloe. Therefore, the other presenters prices are not as good. (or so she'd have you think).

    Then you have the 'today only' price. It might be at a lower price next time you see it aired, but it's still technically a 'today only' price ok (yep).

    Happy New Year!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    east london
    Posts
    3,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avid View Post
    There's Chloe price: that's the price that only Chloe gets. Other presenters do not get access to these special prices because they are not Chloe. Therefore, the other presenters prices are not as good. (or so she'd have you think).

    Then you have the 'today only' price. It might be at a lower price next time you see it aired, but it's still technically a 'today only' price ok (yep).

    Happy New Year!
    It's almost as if all the prices are always the same.. the only thing that changes is the words, not the numbers.

    Plus Amit is legitimately terrible. He is the Tommy Wiseau of selly telly. Does anyone remember his phase of lavish adverts, starring himself.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well at least it entertaining! And they do have some real bargains. We can't all afford expensive jewels for and on the whole it is good value, especially the silver chains. I've had the odd dud but mostly I've been happy with what I've received for the price I paid, and unlike other channels I haven't had stones falling out of rings. I think it's nice that they do a mix of everything, I love my Rachel Galley pieces and if shifting hundreds of ponchos means they can bring something else at a low price that's fine with me. Of course they employ marketing tricks but then so do all retailers, that's what it's all about after all, selling stuff.


  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    east london
    Posts
    3,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


    ADVERTISING


    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnytown View Post
    Well at least it entertaining! And they do have some real bargains. We can't all afford expensive jewels for and on the whole it is good value, especially the silver chains. I've had the odd dud but mostly I've been happy with what I've received for the price I paid, and unlike other channels I haven't had stones falling out of rings. I think it's nice that they do a mix of everything, I love my Rachel Galley pieces and if shifting hundreds of ponchos means they can bring something else at a low price that's fine with me. Of course they employ marketing tricks but then so do all retailers, that's what it's all about after all, selling stuff.
    you are right but I will always feel that if you have true confidence in your product, you don't need to manipulate me to buy it. Yeah I understand the art of selling is convincing etc. But I mean more as in don't tell me things that re simply not true when held under any remote scrutiny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •