What goes around comes around....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As well as crimplene, I can remember bedding from Brentford Nylons ! We had yellow nylon sheets and pillowcases which had one fleecy side and one really smooth and shiny. One wrong move in the night and I’d get a blue static electricity flash !

Mum loved the stuff because it was easier to wash and dry than heavy cotton sheets which were a pig to iron. She also bought us those nylon quilted bedspreads to replace the candlewick versions.

I can remember when the guys got nylon shirts at the garage with their petrol, plus green shield stamps. I had many decent things from argos with the stamps. I can remember a lovely blue and white breakfast set...four of everything, even egg cups.

My mum worked, so I had lots of shop-bought clothes in the 60s and 70s (no natural threads in sight!) I used to covet my friends' home made cotton frocks and there told me they'd happily swap for anything without a 50s swirly skirt!

I remember when I was about seven.......so not that long ago......ahem! I had a pair of blue "Birmingham Bags" trousers (I'm not from Birmingham) with pockets so big on the side you could hold a weeks shopping in them, the flares too were so big heaven help you if there was a sudden gust of wind and you should always remember whilst wearing them, never stand less than ten foot away from a naked flame. :mysmilie_17:

I remember all of the above and also the Lime green and shocking pink socks that were all the rage when I was a young teenager in the late fifties. Baseball boots and pedal pushers were also my absolute dream outfit lol. Those were the days.

As well as crimplene, I can remember bedding from Brentford Nylons ! We had yellow nylon sheets and pillowcases which had one fleecy side and one really smooth and shiny. One wrong move in the night and I’d get a blue static electricity flash !

Mum loved the stuff because it was easier to wash and dry than heavy cotton sheets which were a pig to iron. She also bought us those nylon quilted bedspreads to replace the candlewick versions.

Yes, and then those bedspreads had more American style..and instead of a plain side hanging down they were given tiers of frills along with frilled pillowcases! Just like the Doris Day films!

Anyone brave enough to join me, in confessing to Bay City Roller parallels? Mine were electric blue, I think. Worn with an ugly v-neck sweater, with a trio of stars across the front. And not forgetting the BCR tartan scarf, tied around the wrist!

Not wanting to kick off a rendition of Monty Python's Yorkshiremen sketch, but we didn't have central heating when I was little, it was the static from nighties, dressing gowns and bedclothes from Brentford Nylons that kept us warm. I could rub my nylon PJ legs together like a cricket and create enough static to light a small town!

My hair didn't simmer down til 1982!

My sister married in 1963 and her wedding dress was made from white crimplene and my bridesmaid dress was made out of a multi coloured crimplene. I kid you not.
My pet hate back then were pantie girdles, they were the Devil`s work and my Mum swore by them. They were so tight you could hardly breathe and when you sat down even the slimmest person had a muffin top where the flesh was pushed upwards by the girdle.
When I was quite young around 7 or 8 I recall my Mum making me a dress with loads of net underskirting which itched like mad and whenever she washed the dress she stiffened the netting with spray Robins starch. That dress was torture but my older sister used to layer net underskirts under her flared skirts and dresses and she loved them.
We didn`t have fitted carpets in the bedrooms, we had lino and rugs and when we were older both me and my sister got real bollockings for puncturing holes in the lino with our shoe heels.

I remember it all very well.

Awful panties girdles with suspenders (and not in a good way -rubber thingies). I remember getting my first pair of tights, they cost a fortune and could only be worn on special occasions.

Remember when duvets first arrived, you were the bees knees if you had one and yes the new fangled covers and FITTED (posh) sheets were either slippy nylon or brushed nylon. Not great to wear but bliddy great to launder.

I can remember the seventies and the worst invention ever.....Crimplene.That material was hot,clinging and virtually indestructible.My mum made dresses,trousers,cushion covers.In fact both we and the home were flammable.I tried to wear out my 3ft wide leg trousers by climbing and crawling but they lasted well as did the (literally)Hot Pants.

"Crimplene" (LOL) sounds horrible! (Like something Michele Hope would use: "We've got this lovely Crimplene and dusky pink lace..." Someone has put all the old Argos catalogues from the 70s and 80s online. I know it's a bit sad but I spent hours looking through them, marvelling at the brown and mustard patterns on everything. Pretty much everything was orange, brown and mustard, then later, avocado green. And what about teak veneer? Teak-veneered toasters!

When we look back especially those of us who have lived through these time we can be horrified 'did we really wear/ have that'!However I remember having some wonderful clothes.The fabric & make were something to be proud to wear and I can pull 2 handbags out of my wardrobe that would make 'our Lulu' look like Primark.Even good old Crimplene had it's place, not that I have any of that still hanging around!

"Crimplene" (LOL) sounds horrible! (Like something Michele Hope would use: "We've got this lovely Crimplene and dusky pink lace..." Someone has put all the old Argos catalogues from the 70s and 80s online. I know it's a bit sad but I spent hours looking through them, marvelling at the brown and mustard patterns on everything. Pretty much everything was orange, brown and mustard, then later, avocado green. And what about teak veneer? Teak-veneered toasters!

Where did you think Orla Kiely got her ideas? :mysmilie_15:

I remember all of the above and also the Lime green and shocking pink socks that were all the rage when I was a young teenager in the late fifties. Baseball boots and pedal pushers were also my absolute dream outfit lol. Those were the days.
Oooooh!!!! But I had lime green and neon pink socks in the 80’s when I was a kid/teen - thought I was the bees knees with my glittery deadly-boppers (think that is right?) along with my white jelly plastic bag thing from primark! And of course Chelsea Girl was THE place to buy your clothes!!!

Latest posts

Back