Mail order record clubs

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Mediastar's thread about the totp albums reminded me of my record buying habits of the 80s/90s. Does anyone remember those flyers that fell out of magazines that encouraged you to choose 4 top albums of your choice for 33p each with free postage? There was a catch in that you had to promise to buy at least 6 full price "album of the month" choices from them throughout the year - I thought easy peasy, I can do that - so I signed up. However it wasn't that clear that if you didn't send them notification that you didn't want the album of the month they'd send it to you anyway, and if you didn't want the album of the month you had to order something else instead from the catalogue..not only was everything top dollar you had to pay shipping and handling as well....I tried every trick in the book to try and get rid of them including telling them I was moving overseas but they still wouldn't let me go. Ended up with a vast collection of cds, many of which I wouldn't have bought by choice and the ones I would have bought I could have got cheaper by just going into Woolies and buying it over the counter....Nightmare!!!!

Does anyone remember the flexible thin plastic records given away with some music papers?

They kept slipping on the turntable as they were so light and flimsy, and in any case, they sounded dreadful.

Oh sure do!!! My prized possession was a gold flimsy disc of the bay city rollers before I got bought the proper albums for my birthday and xmas...The trick was to pop them on top of a regular single and they'd play alright. That brought back memories of beloved records that had become warped so I'd balance coins on the middle bit to try and even them out and having singles with the little plastic bit that popped out, and the nightmare you'd have if you lost that little bit of plastic 'cause you had to share it out amongst all the other records that had that bit missing! When I was a kid buying or receiving a record whatever size was a big thing so when I was in my 20's and working joining a record club was like all my xmas's coming at once - Then quickly realising that ok, I've bought 4 cds for about a £1, now every month I'm gonna have to struggle to keep up payment for stuff I don't even really want, and to add insult to injury Our Price opened in town and half the stuff I was paying over the odds for is available in a shop about 5 minutes walk away from home for about half the price. Was so glad when I was allowed to cancel that subscription!

Old lesson learned though if something sounds too good to be true..then it probably is! All these introductory offers are the dangling carrot that pulls you in. If the truth be known I ended up paying in full and then some for those introductory bargains 'cause had I just waited and bought them in the shops when they were on offer or at a cheaper price anyway I'd have saved money, and not only that what I wanted would have been completely my choice. I think these record and book clubs have died out now what with the internet and downloads some of which are free!

I joined a book club because the books looked physically good!

I did read some, and thought they would extend my reading list, but some are sill unread.

But they do look good in the bookcase.

yeah I think hubby joined the folio society for that reason 'cause the books were most beautifully bound and illustrated, think he only took out the shortest subscription he could but even so was left with some lovely books to display...unlike the cds I got...so not so bad in that respect...the record one was just a good old fashioned rip off!

I signed up to a cookery book club and had the devils own job getting rid of them.

Mr L is a massive fan of the Folio Society but thankfully now they have reduced their restrictions and you can more or less just buy as and when you want, still very expensive books though.

Yes, I remember the plastic freebie records you got, I had an Alice Cooper one.

The record ones insisted on sending records even if you hadn't ordered you got the record of the month anyway! The books the same thing the choice was awful after you found the few you wanted early in. I was a teenager and used to read a few of the music papers they always had ads for cheaper records and I had to send a postal order and wait.

I signed up to the book club, can't remember how I got rid of them! I bless my Kindle/Kindle unlimited! Yes, sometimes it's tat, but on the bus to and from work I don't think I could cope with any highbrow "literature"!

Latest posts

Back