Rocks and Co - no more!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A new low today. The obviously male presenter had no celebrity guest but a female voiceover spouting banal platitudes with no real information. I didn't realise it was a man at first as the camera only focused close up on the hands - then I realised the hands were big - the rings didn't fit on the fingers and the nails were short, unvarnished and not manicured. The so-called padparacha sapphire pieces were very small but there was no perspective - they looked huge on camera because of the magnification (an old trick) and the zircons were so sparkly they were obviously training very bright lights directly on the gemstones. The p&p has gone up to £4.95. How much longer can this shower continue to broadcast to the UK?

To add insult to injury, the web page lists only the German presenters now, with a translation that must have been done by Google as it is illiterate. This company has no respect for its UK audience - the email from DK explaining the new format was rudely abrupt and explained nothing.

Watched about 30seconds of it via their website.

It feels odd and unnatural. I don't consider myself a xenophobic individual however I still cannot understand if you are not going to have people talk in English, why bother broadcasting it in England.

Goes without saying that I feel bad for anyone who lost their job in this situation... but again, I bet the cavils made the most money possible out of it. I assume they still only broadcast in England purely so daughter cavil can say she is a TV presenter. Quite frankly.

So what is the saddest thing is that it all started at Gems Tv UK when Debby Cavill, Don Kogan, Steve Bennette, Theo Van Dort (snatch-it.tv), Clive Bryant were all directors/owners on the original (lets play snatch-it on) Gems tv.

They expanded to Germany, USA, Japan, China etc. Don Kogan joined around 2005 and used to be a guest presenter on the UK and USA channels when it was a real falling price auction.

This all went downhill when Gems Tv decided to merge with one of its largest suppliers Thiagems, who lost sight of the business when they started selling glass jewellery and not manufacturing their own. Then as they started making a loss they retreated from international markets, Gems TV Germany was sold and it was renamed Juwelo.

Now how can Don and Debbie with all their experience and history of the UK market (as well as Cherry, Ronnie and Kieron) let their own Rocks and Co channel close down?

And as for the special guest Kieron, don’t forget he was a floor manager/camera man behind the scenes on Rocks and Co back in the day, I still have some saved clips of when he used to come on screen when camera 4 used to show them walking across the studio with the next piece of jewellery and/or when the price crashed.

I also have to say I feel sorry for the Geman’s who have to listen to our presenters, every UK guest I have seen has just been shouting and yelling and come across as unnatural and unprofessional (Ronnie Molloy, Debbie Cavill, Cherry Cavill, Kieron)

Cherry Cavill was shrieking at the top of her voice yesterday and going hoarse - it was almost shocking (yes I know, I should stop watching. I only tune in for a few minutes here and there, it's compulsive car crash viewing). Illogically CC was saying that they had had the bestest day ever ever ever the day before, selling the padparascha sapphire pieces in silver, and she had hardly any left to sell in the US at four times the price (the Americans presumably don't mind being ripped off by the Cavills). But Don Kogan really really wanted the European audience to buy everything - so they were going to show the expensive pieces again - that hadn't sold - and lower the price even, Cherry shrieked. Because Don has such a kind heart, he just wants to give his jewels away to us - but the Americans can pay loads more for the same thing.

Very believable.

PS I see the Kat Florence shop in Mayfair closed after less than a year. What was all that about?

Looking at the company accounts R&C made a loss every year except 2010 and 2011.
They have not submitted their 2017 accounts yet,

2008-2009
Turnover £13,027,602
Loss £7,213,845

Turnover £10,583,817
Profit £156,454

Turnover £10,054,202
Profit £346,953

Turnover £10,257,658
Loss £1,164,592

Turnover £9,985,429
Loss £631,610

Turnover £14,468,602
Loss £649,384

Turnover £10,559,610
Loss £2,155,252

Turnover £10,880,364
Loss £2,317,124

Why an earth did they feel the need to relocate three times, and open a Kat Florence shop in London which must have cost millions, change the graphics, refurbish the studio, change the music etc, this must have cost a fortune and all contributed to the losses.

The more it went like Juwelo (bad graphics and studio etc) the worse it got.

At last!! Perhaps we knew, but flicking to Rocks on Freeview at mid day and the graphics say that the next live show is the Lance Fisher on Friday 26 January! Meanwhile on the web site they are carrying the German feed with just the German presenter being broadcast. Its the basic silver and gold plating on silver items so perhaps we wouldn't feel that we are missing out.
It certainly looks less likely that long term there will be a continuing offering for the UK. I suspect that Steve Bennett has more to smile about with Rocks fading away and TJC becoming more 'diverse' in their range of products.
So who is going to open a book on closing dates for Rocks and then for Juwelo?

I never bet on certainties.

At last!! Perhaps we knew, but flicking to Rocks on Freeview at mid day and the graphics say that the next live show is the Lance Fisher on Friday 26 January! Meanwhile on the web site they are carrying the German feed with just the German presenter being broadcast. Its the basic silver and gold plating on silver items so perhaps we wouldn't feel that we are missing out.
It certainly looks less likely that long term there will be a continuing offering for the UK. I suspect that Steve Bennett has more to smile about with Rocks fading away and TJC becoming more 'diverse' in their range of products.
So who is going to open a book on closing dates for Rocks and then for Juwelo?

Have they given up on gold now, except in Lance Fischer or Amayani? Everything is in silver, which they rarely did before.

Latest posts

Back