2018 QVC Shopping Resolutions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As someone suggested on the thread about the Speakmans TSV next week, I reckon it will be CH who is the QVC guinea pig for their "life plan" tosh. Even though I can't stand the QVC fashion hours, I managed to catch her presenting a couple of nights ago, for the first time in ages. I was surprised to see she was not as slim as she was the last time I saw her (probably summer). She put a size 12 coat on and asked if she ought to be wearing the 14, then said the 12 would be fine by the end of January.

I heard her say she would not be starting her diet until all the cheese was gone. Not sure if she meant cheese in the fridge, or cheesy presentations.

Pick-a-Lily, your post has inspired me to completely cut all my Q spending for 2018 - I managed to get a grip on the easy pays earlier this year and have no ADs anymore, but my day to day spending (AndiK, I've lost the plot recently!) is definitely out of control and my credit card has massively suffered as a result. So no spending in January as a starter and I'm going to take it from there - I have more than enough of everything I could possibly need and need to concentrate on self-improvement vs spanking money on new things to make me feel better.

I could kind of see this, Tarketta, you naughty thing. But don't beat yourself up over it - especially as you seem to have a new determination to stop. I've bought a couple of things lately that I haven't previously confessed to and it would be hypocritical of me to nag you in any case. As this thread shows, we all have our weaknesses, even if some seem to have got a better grip now.

Reading all the "confessions" on here is very sobering. All of you who have conquered the compulsion to buy too much, ****** well done, and those on the path to doing so, or with the resolve to get on top of your spending as a new year's resolution, I wish you all the luck in the world. Hope you find, as I have done (most of the time, anyway) that this forum is a great help and now we all know we can come here for support if we didn't already.

I heard her say she would not be starting her diet until all the cheese was gone. Not sure if she meant cheese in the fridge, or cheesy presentations.

Ha ha! I know a few people on the forum (are you there, shopperholic?) will be thinking she means not before Simon Biagi leaves.

Perhaps we should keep this thread going, in much the same way as the Arsebook one, to give anyone teetering a much needed boost on their 12 point programme.

To anyone struggling with personal debt (of any size), I will say that my friend and I could not have dealt with our problems without the invaluable help of Martin Lewis's incredible http://www.moneysavingexpert.com website, which he still oversees, even though he has now sold it. There is loads of help and information here about where to begin your journey to freedom from debt. My top tip would be to get any credit card debt onto a 0% interest balance transfer asap, don't spend anything on the new 0% card (this is crucial), just pay it down as fast as you can. If your 0% deal comes to an end, move it to another one, quick sharp.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan
The sooner you admit you've got a problem, the sooner it can be resolved, and there are so many others in the same boat.
There is also an amazing forum on the moneysavingexpert website, where you can get loads of moral support and advice.
(*I hope Graham doesn't mind me mentioning it, but it is a completely different kind of forum, and hopefully there's no conflict of interest. Mods please feel free to delete or edit if you think it's a problem).

Ha ha! I know a few people on the forum (are you there, shopperholic?) will be thinking she means not before Simon Biagi leaves.

Yes! Yes I was! I was thinking flipping 'eck, she'll be waiting a while then, Simon Dairylee isn't going anywhere soon, unfortunately. :mysmilie_17:

To anyone struggling with personal debt (of any size), I will say that my friend and I could not have dealt with our problems without the invaluable help of Martin Lewis's incredible http://www.moneysavingexpert.com website, which he still oversees, even though he has now sold it. There is loads of help and information here about where to begin your journey to freedom from debt. My top tip would be to get any credit card debt onto a 0% interest balance transfer asap, don't spend anything on the new 0% card (this is crucial), just pay it down as fast as you can. If your 0% deal comes to an end, move it to another one, quick sharp.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan
The sooner you admit you've got a problem, the sooner it can be resolved, and there are so many others in the same boat.
There is also an amazing forum on the moneysavingexpert website, where you can get loads of moral support and advice.
(*I hope Graham doesn't mind me mentioning it, but it is a completely different kind of forum, and hopefully there's no conflict of interest. Mods please feel free to delete or edit if you think it's a problem).

There's a fantastic forum on that site too - lots of help and encouragement from people in similar situations and tips on where to get bargains etc.

The Moneysaving site is brilliant(Martin has nothing to do with it now as he sold it. But I too call it the Martin Lewis site), I am a member and read and learn hopefully.

I too got carried away from QVC back in the day, brands we just did not get in Belfast and no real internet dial-up only. I remember sending to Aveda for shampoo and they returned my cheque saying they did not ship to N.I. So of course when I got cable it was on QVC, the TSVs all these wonderful things to buy. Now I was lucky in a way as I had no credit card, (did get one later but its gone for good) and QVC did not take Electron. So also no easy pay for me either. Cheques had to be sent for everything. Remember wishing I could get easy pay! Then bank gave me a normal visa debit card, strangely I bought very little on easy pay.

Times have moved and the brands that used to make me shop at QVC are now widely available. The jewellery in real gold and gems was a passion for me, but with the prices now I would even think to buy. Quite happy with all I have and its still good. QVC now bore me, I used to have them on in the background but now even that bores me. I think in the last year all I have bought is Tarte but not even the last TSV was of interest. Still love the Shape Tape and did buy a back up, too many fakes on Ebay. Buying direct from Tarte too much hassle especially if you have to add on the customs duty.

So my QVC resolution for 2018, carry on as I have been.

The Moneysaving site is brilliant(Martin has nothing to do with it now as he sold it. But I too call it the Martin Lewis site), I am a member and read and learn hopefully.

I too got carried away from QVC back in the day, brands we just did not get in Belfast and no real internet dial-up only. I remember sending to Aveda for shampoo and they returned my cheque saying they did not ship to N.I. So of course when I got cable it was on QVC, the TSVs all these wonderful things to buy. Now I was lucky in a way as I had no credit card, (did get one later but its gone for good) and QVC did not take Electron. So also no easy pay for me either. Cheques had to be sent for everything. Remember wishing I could get easy pay! Then bank gave me a normal visa debit card, strangely I bought very little on easy pay.

Times have moved and the brands that used to make me shop at QVC are now widely available. The jewellery in real gold and gems was a passion for me, but with the prices now I would even think to buy. Quite happy with all I have and its still good. QVC now bore me, I used to have them on in the background but now even that bores me. I think in the last year all I have bought is Tarte but not even the last TSV was of interest. Still love the Shape Tape and did buy a back up, too many fakes on Ebay. Buying direct from Tarte too much hassle especially if you have to add on the customs duty.

So my QVC resolution for 2018, carry on as I have been.

I was in a similar situation when I discovered QVC, once we got freeview for the first time. I’m not in Ireland but do live in a bit of a rural outpost on the northern hills so all the brands they were selling were an eye opener to me, any local big town or city meaning hours of a trek there & back & I have animals who couldn’t be left like that. So I went a bit mad., the gem set jewellery was my biggest weakness along with beauty TSVs. Luckily I didn’t get into debt but I did have lots on easy pay.
I still buy too much but have come to my senses & am determined to cut right down this year, not get sucked in by beauty TSVs when I already have more than I’ll ever use or new things, I tend to get a bit obsessive when I discover a new temptation, this year it’s been Yankee candles. Went from not having ever bought one to having a cupboard full, I need a good kicking.

I had to delete my original reply because something went totally wrong & it was total twaddle. So I'll just say, as a relative newby to this forum, how moved I am by your honesty. As far as buying stuff from the Q I only watch online presentations & follow William Morris's words - "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful". I took early retirement two weeks ago so will also have to get used to life on a pension. QVC has introduced me to brands I love, especially Honora & Pixi, the former has lost its appeal without Ralph & I buy the latter from M&S.

Happy New Year everyone, wishing you all health, happiness & considered purchases in 2018.

Enjoy your retirement Twilight! I took early retirement myself, 3 years ago, and haven't looked back once with any trace of regret. (My impending retirement was also a very strong motivator to sort my finances out once and for all).

Being totally honest if Q had anything decent to buy I would probably be as bad as ever so perhaps it’s a bliddy good job it is like tumbleweed in Q land.

Remember the good old days when you could order online and click cheque to pay and the item would be held for you. If you changed your mind you could cancel or change payment method to card when you had the funds.
I have no ordered as much this year but still think you get the occasional great TSV, OTO or offer. I still send things back without a second thought and think if they send me the letter stuff them I will shop elsewhere.

I remember when Bargain Hunter (do they still have this st 9pm?) and OTOs were new/current stock and not things which were languishing in clearance for years.

The reason i want to pay off my easy pays is because of the debt it has got me into. I owe nearly £800.00 of easy payments due to getting 2 or 3 of the same items before christmas. The easy payments mount up and then you get yourself into so much debt. I am seeing a psychiatrist over my depression and i am going to mention to him/her the excitement of receiving parcels and the buzz you get. Plus the mounting debt.Thank you for sharing your stories. I thought i was the only one. Thank you xxxx

The reason i want to pay off my easy pays is because of the debt it has got me into. I owe nearly £800.00 of easy payments due to getting 2 or 3 of the same items before christmas. The easy payments mount up and then you get yourself into so much debt. I am seeing a psychiatrist over my depression and i am going to mention to him/her the excitement of receiving parcels and the buzz you get. Plus the mounting debt.Thank you for sharing your stories. I thought i was the only one. Thank you xxxx

Well done The Doo's, now you're getting help I'm sure things will get better for you, (sending you a virtual hug) good luck for the future, and that goes to every one of my Forum buddies who are struggling too. :mysmilie_3:

Also remember, QVC is a deceitful company take their "sale" for example, they're showing a lot of items that they've never had on air or website before calling them "NOW" prices after they've made up a price that they're insinuating was previously charged, what they don't understand is you can't call a price "WAS" if it's never been sold at that price...........I'm sure The Advertising Standards Authority would take great interest in this, the rest of us though don't give a toss, it's just classic QVC deceit . :mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back