2018 QVC Shopping Resolutions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

i really don't do easy pays. its very very very rare. if i don't have the money in full then i don't buy. there is nothing in qvc world that is essential in any way bear that in mind. buying a high end beauty tsv: look at your dusty old stash that will stop you tapping the app. 3/4 moisturisers will last you a year you don't need to buy 2/3 of every beauty tsv that comes up even if qvc say you should

The reason i want to pay off my easy pays is because of the debt it has got me into. I owe nearly £800.00 of easy payments due to getting 2 or 3 of the same items before christmas. The easy payments mount up and then you get yourself into so much debt. I am seeing a psychiatrist over my depression and i am going to mention to him/her the excitement of receiving parcels and the buzz you get. Plus the mounting debt.Thank you for sharing your stories. I thought i was the only one. Thank you xxxx

I know exactly what you mean about the buzz and I think when you talk to your therapist about it you are well on the way to overcoming some of your problems. That buzz doesn’t last but unfortunately the debt does.

I know I speak for everyone here that we wish you well for 2018 and if ever you need talked out of buying anything come on and we will do our best.

i really don't do easy pays. its very very very rare. if i don't have the money in full then i don't buy. there is nothing in qvc world that is essential in any way bear that in mind. buying a high end beauty tsv: look at your dusty old stash that will stop you tapping the app. 3/4 moisturisers will last you a year you don't need to buy 2/3 of every beauty tsv that comes up even if qvc say you should
I don’t like easy pays either, but once or twice I have inadvertently fallen foul of Q’s website, which is sneakily set up to favour the easy pay option and you have to go around the houses a bit to opt for the one off payment. It’s far too easy to get the easy pays by default, without actually wanting them.

when qvc first aired it was like a friend always in the background. i did spend a little mainly on some craft kits by the american woman carol something or other. shopping telly and depression for me went hand in hand. but i decided any small scraps of money i had left over each week would be saved to give me and my daughters some wonderful holiday memories. not going into qvc coffers buying bits n bobs.

I don’t like easy pays either, but once or twice I have inadvertently fallen foul of Q’s website, which is sneakily set up to favour the easy pay option and you have to go around the houses a bit to opt for the one off payment. It’s far too easy to get the easy pays by default, without actually wanting them.

Luckily I don’t buy much now but I too have been caught out by this default setting.

If I was buying a high value item I wasn’t sure about (say a cleaner) I would have bought from Q so that I could try and return , and if available I would go for EP so that I would only be out 1 payment if it was returned. However lately I have noticed that the 2nd payment is due before the return is acknowledged. Nowadays I would be doubtful that the 30 day try out is worth the hassle when I read on arsebook how so many problems there are with refunds .

My resolution is to try not to get too annoyed every time someone posts about a Hoover which is no such thing.

E.g. Dyson Hoover, Bosch Hoover, Gtech Hoover, Shark Hoover, etc etc.

A Hoover is a specific make of vacuum cleaner, just like a Ford is a make of car.

I'm out now to wash my Fiat Ford.

Sorry, rant over.

My resolution is to try not to get too annoyed every time someone posts about a Hoover which is no such thing.

E.g. Dyson Hoover, Bosch Hoover, Gtech Hoover, Shark Hoover, etc etc.

A Hoover is a specific make of vacuum cleaner, just like a Ford is a make of car.

I'm out now to wash my Fiat Ford.

Sorry, rant over.

Does a “biro” pen annoy as much?

No, and I also say sellotape (sorry, I meant sticky back plastic).

And mac for raincoat, and wellingtons, and my Levis (£4-99 from Lidl so I doubt they are actually Levis).

Can anyone think of more generic terms where the maker's name is wrongly used e.g. kleenex, but now widely accepted?

Coke for any brown fizzy drink, Thermos for a flask, Tupperware for a plastic pot with a lid & good old Post-its.

I always say Comfort for fabric conditioner and write it on my list, even though I buy Waitrose's own brand.

Happy New Year to All! whatever your resolutions remember we always shop around before ordering from QVC. Have I missed any 'bargains' today? doubt it but I will order if it is something I really, really want a a good price--Happy 2018!

Happy New Year to everyone.Hope all who are having any kind of difficulties find them resolved this year.
As already stated ,there is support on this forum.

I have made another resolution after tuning into a Join clothes show a few days ago-I will no longer be able to watch anything with C.Huntley in again.Unbearable!!

I am genuinely moved and touched by the honesty on this thread. Congratulations to all who have overcome personal debt and best wishes to all those still in the process or just beginning.

Now, I know no-one forces anyone to pick up the phone or tap the app or buy online or even watch QVC....it is a personal choice. HOWEVER reading this thread has made me very angry with some of the sales tactics used on QVC. They are in the business of selling and it is expected that the presenters wax lyrical about the products. BUT when the likes of Debbie Flint say 'don't hesitate or you will miss out', or 'get it now', or 'buy two - one black and one colour' or 'if you are unsure get it home and try it' or imply that our lives will be enriched by owning this product or that it will make us look good to friends and family...then I really think the sales techniques have become irresponsible and unethical.

I do think online/telly shopping and the advent of social media has increased the pressure on all of us to be tempted to buy things we don't need. Only this morning my email inbox was full of emails from Amazon, Groupon and high street stores I have bought from in the past. I got halfway through looking at an email about sale items from a well-known department store when I suddenly thought - I don't actually need to buy anything. There are some great tips on this thread and maybe this has been said before but I wonder if stopping such emails and texts, and deleting certain apps from our phones would help those of us (myself included) who are tempted to buy when we don't need an item.

Most emails from online retailers and high street stores offering me discounts for a limited time go straight to my spam folder and are cleared unopened. When I do need something, I find that going onto an online site, placing the items in my basket and then logging off without confirming the purchase, usually prompts an email from said store offering me 20 percent off anyway.

We mustn't be 'panicked' into buying by 'almost sold out'/ last few/ X number ordered etc. tactics.This is not just aimed at QVC but most on-line retailers & the travel industry.I get 'Travel Which' & they have just this month a article to this effect this month.Found this interesting as I booked a holiday after being told 'only 1 room left' & that room was still available for months!I I had held out that holiday would have cost me £250 less pp.Of course it could have been £250 more!I am taking the 'stand back & consider' approach, if I miss out on something so what.You can only be stung once.

Well, I'm a 49yo cynical old git but, like HippyGirl, am moved by this thread. My issue has never been Q but Gems & R&Co. About two years ago, my tv gave up the ghost. I then lost my job (working now!) so decided to be a radio man only. Gosh that helped. In order to survive, sold 70% of my things online or through auction. Again, that set my views about "stuff". So now I follow rules similar to ones mentioned here. Also Gems quality is sufficiently variable for me to never buy again and R&Co have gone scary!

So 2018 - Do I need it? Do I really want it? My little present to myself was a £20 fancy cut citrine stone. Inexpensive & on a sunny day, it'll give me pleasure looking at it.

Last edited:
Every year Q do two YC TSVs on AD, a US and a UK one. My resolution this year was NOT to buy the US one and try to restrict purchases to just the new UK fragrances in the large house warmers. But it seems as though there may be no US one this year as we have usually heard of it by now, so perhaps my resolution will not need much keeping!!!!

Latest posts

Back