Alison Young - another fashion faux pas!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am unabashedly carrying on the toilet theme after reading the post about Aunty Mary's tipper toilet. Where my father worked when I was very young they just had box style loos with wooden seats with a hole in the middle and I think it all just went down into the earth! I was too young to examine it. And this wasn't in a deep part of the country where there was no water supply. Mind you some modern German loos come with a mini shelf inside, which I found very odd.

I am unabashedly carrying on the toilet theme after reading the post about Aunty Mary's tipper toilet. Where my father worked when I was very young they just had box style loos with wooden seats with a hole in the middle and I think it all just went down into the earth! I was too young to examine it. And this wasn't in a deep part of the country where there was no water supply. Mind you some modern German loos come with a mini shelf inside, which I found very odd.

Oh my life, German toilets. I first heard of these when our daughter was told about them in a GCSE Biology lesson & explained the 'examination theory' to my dad. He said it was now clear why, when he was badly injured & in a military hospital, a German soldier said if he ever needed help in the loo he was happy to oblige! I'd forgotten about this until 2010 when the Icelandic ash cloud meant we couldn't fly back from Rome & we had to travel back by train with two stops in Germany & there they were, the loos with shelves. Vorsprung durch Technik - I think not.

When I was a little girl we had an old lady who lived nearby and she`d sit at her front doorstep and give sweets to all the kids who passed by. We all called her Aunty Mary and she was unmarried,had no children of her own and had lived in the same 2 up, 2 down, mid terraced house since birth. All of our Mums kind of looked out for her and they`d send us round with home baked cakes or a pot of home made soup or similar. I can clearly recall her having gas mantles in her house and because she was lonely she`d encourage us to stop and chat with her. On one visit I needed the loo which just like our own house it was down the backyard and it was my first and only time I ever came across a tippler toilet. It was a wooden box with a hole in the top and when you`d finished you pulled a handle and it tipped the tray underneath the hole and the contents went into the drain underneath.
When Aunty Mary passed away I was around 13 and her family home was ripped apart by builders and dragged into the 20th century. I can still remember her old fashioned furniture, the crochet mats on top of the huge old sidebord, the back kitchen with just a stone sink, a kitchenette cupboard and an ancient gas cooker. The house didn`t have electricity so she`d no mod cons at all.

Lovely story. Stone sink sounds really nice to me!

No, 1970s some time. Definitely not 1976.

Definitely not 1976<< ha ha :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about toilets (as you do) when I was fifteen twenty out of my year in school went on a school trip to France (the whole trip was like a Carry On film from start to finish) anyway, one day we was going to a theme park and the coach never turned up, so twenty of us and four teachers had to walk for over an hour to get there, eventually a few us needed the loo and was horrified to see they were communal with a little dish as you left to put money in, which of course we didn't........aw c'mon we were only fifteen money was tight. :mysmilie_17:

Tales of toilets on travels... I'm sure most of us have encountered ones beyond the help of that spatula-like toilet brush, or the poo-pourri which QVC sell.

Unnerving American toilets which flush it you linger too long, squat toilets in Japan and Jordan. It is startling if you're not expecting it to be confronted by a hole in the floor, especially when you are wearing a backpack that nearly pulls you backwards into the gurgling void! German shelf toilets so you can inspect your offering to the toilet gods for worms, I believe (please correct me if I have that wrong). Also I've noticed that in many parts of the world I've visited that the loo roll offerings are often very poor when available, and in some countries you're not allowed to flush it down the loo.

In Japan as well as the squat toilets which I was not expecting, they had some incredible loo technology...heated seats, warm water wash and a bit of a blow dry. No need at all for loo roll in that case!!! I shudder to think of the cost of buying of running such a marvel, though. And what if it goes wrong mid cycle?

Latest posts

Back