Alison Young - another fashion faux pas!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It’s 30 degrees and Alison Young is wearing a high necked, long sleeved teal colour winter dress for the TSV. I haven’t seen her feet but I wouldn’t be surprised if she was wearing knee-high boots!

What is wrong with that woman?!

It’s 30 degrees and Alison Young is wearing a high necked, long sleeved teal colour winter dress for the TSV. I haven’t seen her feet but I wouldn’t be surprised if she was wearing knee-high boots!

I had to find the recording & had a flush:blush: The fact that Margaret Dabbs was wearing a one shoulder dress made her look even more ridiculous. Having a spare half hour I searched through other clips & it did look as though she was bare legged so I wonder if she spilled something down the outfit she was wearing & this was the only available thing in a hurry.

I had to find the recording & had a flush:blush: The fact that Margaret Dabbs was wearing a one shoulder dress made her look even more ridiculous. Having a spare half hour I searched through other clips & it did look as though she was bare legged so I wonder if she spilled something down the outfit she was wearing & this was the only available thing in a hurry.

She does make some interesting fashion choices, often plumping for 80s-style numbers in some loud shade of yellow, purple or green. It's almost as though she's been inspired by a box of Quality Street.

I personally would prefer these presenters to just wear their own clothes, rather than what you can purchase on Q. In my day,you had a certain style when you left the house, you made sure you looked nice in what you were wearing, I wish we could reverse time and go back to what I consider more feminine times, instead of seeing what we all see in our high streets and on tv these days. I would offend, I'm sure if I made this post longer.

These presenters are not paid minimum wage, and I'm willing to bet they are self employed, or perhaps I'm wrong and they get paid by Q - in either case, they should look the part. I too watched the presentations with AY and Margaret Dabbs and agree with the others. Nevertheless, I also think sometimes Margaret Dabbs wears inappropriate tops/dresses for what she is selling - bit could just be me!

I personally would prefer these presenters to just wear their own clothes, rather than what you can purchase on Q. In my day,you had a certain style when you left the house, you made sure you looked nice in what you were wearing, I wish we could reverse time and go back to what I consider more feminine times, instead of seeing what we all see in our high streets and on tv these days. I would offend, I'm sure if I made this post longer.

These presenters are not paid minimum wage, and I'm willing to bet they are self employed, or perhaps I'm wrong and they get paid by Q - in either case, they should look the part. I too watched the presentations with AY and Margaret Dabbs and agree with the others. Nevertheless, I also think sometimes Margaret Dabbs wears inappropriate tops/dresses for what she is selling - bit could just be me!

I agree, very OTT dresses!

Sadly Vienna our standards are from another era. My Mum was a gal in the 40's and despite working in the munitions factory and wearing a turban to protect her hair, with friends they would always dress up when going out in their pretty 40's frocks. Then I came along for the 60's generation, with Cathy McGowan hair and minis (with tights !) and low heeled shoes - NEVER stilettos, we always looked well turned out. I cant ever remember anyone looking slovenly like the sights I see walking around today. Even some of our politicians and talking heads on the tv have forgone the tie when wearing a suit.

Strangely when I attend a function, be it wedding, or night out, I tend to feel overdressed until I start getting the compliments - so who's right ?

I also couldn't agree more about those who pour themselves into too tight clothes - normally tops. Today it seems that no-one is bothered what they look like. I constantly look in the mirror for any lumps or bumps on display - mainly for fear of what other people will see, and I am concerned about that, which shows a pride in how I look - something lacking in today's mainly younger generation.

I know this is under an old post, but I wanted to add that I'd have loved to have been born ages ago, so as to either be wearing the fashions of the 20's, 40's, 50's 60's, depending on the decade. removing the wars of course. Can you imagine being in ones 20's & living in 'Frisco in the summers of love? If only.....

Last edited:

Perhaps she feels the cold?

Don’t like Alison’s flesh coloured top with gathers & lace like an old fashioned negligee 8p.m Wednesday Beauty Insider makes her look huge.

She does make some interesting fashion choices, often plumping for 80s-style numbers in some loud shade of yellow, purple or green. It's almost as though she's been inspired by a box of Quality Street.

In some camera angles she looks like she devoured not only the sweets but the tin as well !

I know this is under an old post, but I wanted to add that I'd have loved to have been born ages ago, so as to either be wearing the fashions of the 20's, 40's, 50's 60's, depending on the decade. removing the wars of course. Can you imagine being in ones 20's & living in 'Frisco in the summers of love? If only.....

Despite being a teenager in the 60's (and a Mod), I would love to have been a teen in the 20's (but wealthy of course) and the opportunity to wear those glorious dropped waist dresses and beaded evening gowns - if nothing else I drooled at the costumes in Downton, and those in the tv series many years ago - The House of Eliot; and as for the cloche hats utterly divine.

Despite being a teenager in the 60's (and a Mod), I would love to have been a teen in the 20's (but wealthy of course) and the opportunity to wear those glorious dropped waist dresses and beaded evening gowns - if nothing else I drooled at the costumes in Downton, and those in the tv series many years ago - The House of Eliot; and as for the cloche hats utterly divine.

Every time I think of fashions of yesteryear I remember the lack of elastane, inadequate sanitary products, dangerous medication, higher risk of death in childbirth, lack of good deodorants and remind myself that tv, photos and paintings give you the look, maybe the sound, but never the smells of everyday inconveniences, particularly for women of all income and status levels.

Every time I think of fashions of yesteryear I remember the lack of elastane, inadequate sanitary products, dangerous medication, higher risk of death in childbirth, lack of good deodorants and remind myself that tv, photos and paintings give you the look, maybe the sound, but never the smells of everyday inconveniences, particularly for women of all income and status levels.

Izal toilet paper. I adored my grandmother & would have spent all my time with her if I'd been allowed,the only problem was the downstairs loo & when I told my mum about the horror of this awful stuff she said "All you have to do is scrunch".

Izal toilet paper. I adored my grandmother & would have spent all my time with her if I'd been allowed,the only problem was the downstairs loo & when I told my mum about the horror of this awful stuff she said "All you have to do is scrunch".

I remember that was also in public "spend a penny" toilets. To get it soft enough to do a proper clean, you had to scrunch a lot, otherwise it felt very harsh!

...and the school loos! We'd avoid drinking all day so we didn't need to pee at school - Plus some of my school toilets were in an outside block - if we needed the loo we'd feign an upset tummy to sit in the sick room for 30 mins with a hot water bottle, a spoonful of "Indian Brandee" and most important an indoor loo with Andrex!

off topic...remember Blackjack, Gentian Violet and Spirit of Sal Volatile (pronounced voll-atilly)? The school nurse had many over-the-counter "cures" like these!

Up to about age 10, we had an outside loo at home! No light, you had to take a torch!!!! I was so frightened some nights, and to make the experience even worse we had Izal as well.

Up to about age 10, we had an outside loo at home! No light, you had to take a torch!!!! I was so frightened some nights, and to make the experience even worse we had Izal as well.

I know people would say that experiences like that make us stronger but I would have been just as frightened as you.

We had an outside loo too and in Winter you had to put your wellies and duffle coat on and treck down the yard to sit in darkness or try to balance a torch whilst doing your call of nature. I hated that outside loo with a passion and when it was really cold my Dad had to put candles (to stop the water freezing) on top of the water tank which was high up on the wall and with a long chain handle. Health and safety would have a field day nowadays.
One year my Mum was making her way down the icy backyard and she slipped and badly broke her arm and wrist and to make matters worse it was Christmas Eve. They had to operate on her arm and we had a miserable Christmas Day without her, my big sister and my Dad tried their best to cook a turkey dinner and it wasn`t long after that when we had a proper bathroom built on the back of our terraced house. It was downstairs yes but it had all mod cons such as a bath with running water and an inside loo. My Dad had to sacrifice his shed in the yard to make way for the extension but it was a small price to pay. The only downside was we still didn`t have central heating, just coal fires and an electric immersion heater for hot water so the bathroom was still ****** freezing in Winter. We grew up hardy !

We had an outside loo too and in Winter you had to put your wellies and duffle coat on and treck down the yard to sit in darkness or try to balance a torch whilst doing your call of nature. I hated that outside loo with a passion and when it was really cold my Dad had to put candles (to stop the water freezing) on top of the water tank which was high up on the wall and with a long chain handle. Health and safety would have a field day nowadays.
One year my Mum was making her way down the icy backyard and she slipped and badly broke her arm and wrist and to make matters worse it was Christmas Eve. They had to operate on her arm and we had a miserable Christmas Day without her, my big sister and my Dad tried their best to cook a turkey dinner and it wasn`t long after that when we had a proper bathroom built on the back of our terraced house. It was downstairs yes but it had all mod cons such as a bath with running water and an inside loo. My Dad had to sacrifice his shed in the yard to make way for the extension but it was a small price to pay. The only downside was we still didn`t have central heating, just coal fires and an electric immersion heater for hot water so the bathroom was still ****** freezing in Winter. We grew up hardy !

My parents got cental heating put in three weeks before I got married & it was summer! The ice patterns on my bedroom windows were works of art & my mum said living a cold house never hurt anyone, it was a damp one that made you ill. Mind you, she also was a smacker; she wore Scholl sandals & could take one off & have it at the back of my legs before I could move. Izal loo roll & a mum who smacked - there would be questions asked about my background if I was a child today.

We had a coal fire wasn’t it cold until the fire got going?My Mum used to hold a piece in newspaper in front of the grate until the fire got going.Sometimes the paper would catch fire & went up the chimney!I did love the open fire though & my Dad would pick out a ‘special’ log at Christmas, then we had to sit at the back of the room because of the heat!

Latest posts

Back