Alison Young - another fashion faux pas!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
She's on the Elemis hour wearing a green "tartan" check shirt together with black stripey tights that make for a clashing look! I wonder why ever she thought to wear that? She looks like an extra from Prisoner: Cell Block H.

She's on the Elemis hour wearing a green "tartan" check shirt together with black stripey tights that make for a clashing look! I wonder why ever she thought to wear that? She looks like an extra from Prisoner: Cell Block H.

I just happened to see that as I was scrolling while waiting for something on another channel. I don't understand why anyone would think it was a good look. Poor AY!

Anyway, never mind that - why are the three models sitting there on the Benefit BADgal mascara demo in bright pink astronaut suits? Honestly, I don't watch QVC for weeks then I come back and see this lunacy. What's coming up next - Amanda Holden topless? (Not such a stretch of the imagination!)

I just happened to see that as I was scrolling while waiting for something on another channel. I don't understand why anyone would think it was a good look. Poor AY!

Anyway, never mind that - why are the three models sitting there on the Benefit BADgal mascara demo in bright pink astronaut suits? Honestly, I don't watch QVC for weeks then I come back and see this lunacy. What's coming up next - Amanda Holden topless? (Not such a stretch of the imagination!)

:mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15:

I think AY's fashion credentials are perfect if she would like a role as a QVC stylist!

Funny enough, she’s wearing that shirt dress right now but I haven’t seen her legs yet!

What I wanted to say was how can we believe what she says when she looks so terrible.

I’m referring to her hair. She said she’s used all 3 versions of the Percy and Reed shampoo and conditioner TSV. Yesterday, her hair looked shiny and bright (because it had been pretty professionally styled). Today it’s back to dull and lifeless.

How can “the resident beauty expert” look so bad???

The Americans gave us 'dress down Friday', its dress down everyday at QVC. I saw Alex from L'occitane wore calf length Doc Martins (or something similar) - hardly an elegant look. Most of them look like they've pitched up to work straight from doing the supermarket shop. But then, even contestants on game shows hardly turn up in their Sunday best, so its how things are now sadly. Apologies to nurses on here, but the nurse of yesteryear looked so much tidier than those of today, and air hostesses were so much more glamorous (I dreamt of being one) than the 'cabin crew' we see these days. I'm a dinosaur I know.

Nothing wrong with being a dinosaur Brissles.I once wanted to be cabin crew- B.O.A.C!decided not to leave the job I had trained 5 years to do!I remember when I would go into a panic about what to wear if I was going to London,now I could go in my old gardening clothes— not that I do, old habits & all that!

The Americans gave us 'dress down Friday', its dress down everyday at QVC. I saw Alex from L'occitane wore calf length Doc Martins (or something similar) - hardly an elegant look. Most of them look like they've pitched up to work straight from doing the supermarket shop. But then, even contestants on game shows hardly turn up in their Sunday best, so its how things are now sadly. Apologies to nurses on here, but the nurse of yesteryear looked so much tidier than those of today, and air hostesses were so much more glamorous (I dreamt of being one) than the 'cabin crew' we see these days. I'm a dinosaur I know.

I totally understand what you mean, Brissles. I never fail to be astonished when certain colleagues walk in wearing some minging old trainers and baggy jeans! I have a rule that sees me only wear black / white / grey to work, with my trademark tabloid-red flatcap! I always make sure everything is fitted and stylish with a belt from one of my fave designers - Zegna or Dior. I've become known as: "Flatcap," but this works rather well in my rather snooty organisation. My flatcap is so distinctive!

Alison Young was on a few weeks back wearing something that looked like it had been made from recycled Quality Street wrappers, you know, the Big Purple One!

When the Q started with Alison doing the demonstrations & a presenter doing most of the chat she wore a salon outfit & looked smart. I suppose that in the growth years, when she tells us that she was responsible for bringing so many brands to the channel, the focus changed with her becoming a presenter. Now she just fits in with the others & 'follows' the advice of the ever present stylists whose mantra is that all patterns can be worn together.

When the Q started with Alison doing the demonstrations & a presenter doing most of the chat she wore a salon outfit & looked smart. I suppose that in the growth years, when she tells us that she was responsible for bringing so many brands to the channel, the focus changed with her becoming a presenter. Now she just fits in with the others & 'follows' the advice of the ever present stylists whose mantra is that all patterns can be worn together.

Mix and match...(mix and clash)dress it up...dress it down (this garment has no style whatsoever)...the nautical look...(oh no, not navy blue stripes and deck shoes from a catalogue...again) the safari look...(Michele Hope's twee zebra look) little embellishment detail going right the way through there as you can see...(the only embellishment ain't on the clothing, mate) team it up with a little pant... (I'm not out of breath, thanks)...sling on a pair of Birkenstocks (no thanks, I'm a bloke)...the athleisure trend shows no sign of abating (wish it would)...this will cover those issue areas (this clothing is not fitted at all and will look like you're wearing a small yurt).

Well I must be a dinosaur too and I regularly despair at peoples low standards of dress. I live opposite a Primary school and every morning I see Mums with a coat thrown over their pj`s or onesies bringing their kids to school. It would take 5 minutes to put on some proper clothes.
Another thing which baffles me is why some women buy clothes which are obviously too small and why they simply don`t buy a larger size. Even the most carefree of people must be able to see when something is too tight, too short or shows up every lump and bump. I`ve seen many a nice outfit look horrendous simply because someone has squashed themselves into the wrong size.
Oh and shoot me down for this one but my pet hate is when women with lily white and often not very nice legs go without tights when wearing short dresses. There`s nothing like pale, dimply, mottled legs and thighs, sometimes in need of being exfoliated and defuzzed, poking out from underneath a short skirt or dress for spoiling the image and the same applies to feet which are in dire need of TLC too. Tights may not be the most comfortable of things but they can at least cover up a multitude of sins.

I’m fed up with the lot of them. Crap products,especially the clothes, far too much beauty stuff, expensive gardening. I find the presenters loud,rude, OTT, smarmy, occasionally economical with the truth. Completely rubbish styling that makes products look worse rather than accentuating their good qualities.

I used to really enjoy QVC even if it was just on in the background but now it irritates me.

I don’t do Facebook but just looking at some reviews on the Q website I can’t believe how grovelling people are thanking companies for bringing items to QVC! One I saw for a Butler & Wilson necklace with the writer in wonder how someone as busy as Simon Wilson could find time to bring items to QVC so us mere mortals could buy!!
It was ‘toe curling’—- he & others are delighted to be there,their bank balances are growing by the second!

I don’t do Facebook but just looking at some reviews on the Q website I can’t believe how grovelling people are thanking companies for bringing items to QVC! One I saw for a Butler & Wilson necklace with the writer in wonder how someone as busy as Simon Wilson could find time to bring items to QVC so us mere mortals could buy!!
It was ‘toe curling’—- he & others are delighted to be there,their bank balances are growing by the second!

QVC always was a beehive of obsequity.

The other day AY had a pale peach / taupe top on which had delicate fabric on the yoke. She was wearing a black bra underneath so the straps were clearly visible on the shoulders. The top had quite a bit of detail on it but all you could focus on were the ghastly bra straps. I know some young people are quite happy with this type of look but for someone her age doing her job I felt it totally inappropriate.

The other day AY had a pale peach / taupe top on which had delicate fabric on the yoke. She was wearing a black bra underneath so the straps were clearly visible on the shoulders. The top had quite a bit of detail on it but all you could focus on were the ghastly bra straps. I know some young people are quite happy with this type of look but for someone her age doing her job I felt it totally inappropriate.

Pet hate for me. I know young ones wear it but in my day it was a sure sign of a lady of the night.

Well I must be a dinosaur too and I regularly despair at peoples low standards of dress. I live opposite a Primary school and every morning I see Mums with a coat thrown over their pj`s or onesies bringing their kids to school. It would take 5 minutes to put on some proper clothes.
Another thing which baffles me is why some women buy clothes which are obviously too small and why they simply don`t buy a larger size. Even the most carefree of people must be able to see when something is too tight, too short or shows up every lump and bump. I`ve seen many a nice outfit look horrendous simply because someone has squashed themselves into the wrong size.
Oh and shoot me down for this one but my pet hate is when women with lily white and often not very nice legs go without tights when wearing short dresses. There`s nothing like pale, dimply, mottled legs and thighs, sometimes in need of being exfoliated and defuzzed, poking out from underneath a short skirt or dress for spoiling the image and the same applies to feet which are in dire need of TLC too. Tights may not be the most comfortable of things but they can at least cover up a multitude of sins.

Sadly Vienna our standards are from another era. My Mum was a gal in the 40's and despite working in the munitions factory and wearing a turban to protect her hair, with friends they would always dress up when going out in their pretty 40's frocks. Then I came along for the 60's generation, with Cathy McGowan hair and minis (with tights !) and low heeled shoes - NEVER stilettos, we always looked well turned out. I cant ever remember anyone looking slovenly like the sights I see walking around today. Even some of our politicians and talking heads on the tv have forgone the tie when wearing a suit.

Strangely when I attend a function, be it wedding, or night out, I tend to feel overdressed until I start getting the compliments - so who's right ?

I also couldn't agree more about those who pour themselves into too tight clothes - normally tops. Today it seems that no-one is bothered what they look like. I constantly look in the mirror for any lumps or bumps on display - mainly for fear of what other people will see, and I am concerned about that, which shows a pride in how I look - something lacking in today's mainly younger generation.

If in doubt I always go up a size but then I’m not influenced by the number on the label.

In the summer I am a 14 (maybe even a generous 12) but in winter I am a 16 and even a 18. However this week I have purchased tops, jeans and coats ranging from a 10 up to an 18. Whilst I appreciate shape will make a difference sizing has gone to hell in a handcart in all shops and ranges.

Latest posts

Back