what QVC is selling!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ohnonotshoppingagain

Registered Shopper
I am one of those people who for the life of me, cannot comprehend who would buy, let alone why QVC are selling certain items that are widely availabe outside of Q.

I'll highlight only 2 - but there are far more. Chruchill's biscuits - sorry why do they sell them on air, they are widely available. Bayliss and Harding can be found in any TK Maxx or other cheap stores around the country, a friend of mine often refers to this brand as the 'poor woman's Molton Brown' I laugh as it is nothing like as good as MB.

I decided here to throw in other items. Why do they sell popcorn and chocolate fudge brownies ?

Your guess is as good as mine - and I have never purchased any of the above mentions - I certainly never shall.

I am one of those people who for the life of me, cannot comprehend who would buy, let alone why QVC are selling certain items that are widely availabe outside of Q.

I'll highlight only 2 - but there are far more. Chruchill's biscuits - sorry why do they sell them on air, they are widely available. Bayliss and Harding can be found in any TK Maxx or other cheap stores around the country, a friend of mine often refers to this brand as the 'poor woman's Molton Brown' I laugh as it is nothing like as good as MB.

I decided here to throw in other items. Why do they sell popcorn and chocolate fudge brownies ?

Your guess is as good as mine - and I have never purchased any of the above mentions - I certainly never shall.

They've had far more bizarre offerings than that. They'd sell their own urine if they could make a few quid out of it. Screw Bayliss & Harding - I like my Dove hand soap! Only £1.50 from Asda! :)

I agree with you, but as boffy says, they will have sold loads or they wouldn't carry on. Unlike us on here who are clued up and know a duff deal when we see one, there are no doubt thousands of people who really believe the "endorsement" of a product by QVC means it is worth having. It's quite sad really.

They've had far more bizarre offerings than that. They'd sell their own urine if they could make a few quid out of it. Screw Bayliss & Harding - I like my Dove hand soap! Only £1.50 from Asda! :)

I don't know about QVC urine - it would probably be the viewers' urine which they've been extracting for years.

On the NL show this morning there was a bog standard top which would be available in any chain store on DHS.
Q price 5p under 40 squid!! DHS prices would have ranged from £15 to £29.99 tops and no one will tell me they would fit or wash any differently.

it must cost qvc a huge fortune to pay for the likes of andi peters and all the other celebs to sell pretty average stuff. i was watching the laura geller tsv and the had seven people on the set selling it. total waste of money

QVC customer no more

I am afraid I bought some chocolate brownies. They took 8 days to arrive having been sent back to Gower cottage. All crumpled and inedible. Threw them away. Phoned QVC, who were adamant they were ok to eat. No apology. I paid £21!! On the Gower website they are £18.99 with next day delivery!!! really? Yes. V annoyed. I completed the usual QVC letter. No response. I emailed QVC. No response. I emailed again and said their customer service is hardly award winning and I will not purchase again. Grovelling email back with full refund. Not impressed.

I must say I find the whole popcorn-selling a bit strange. I don't know how people buy fragrances off the telly, either. If ever there was was something I'd want to try out in a shop, it's fragrance. That's one of the advantages of the lovely High Street - you can look at stuff before you buy. Recently I was looking for a new card wallet as my old metal one was falling to bits and had to have an elastic band round it. I looked online and saw loads of wallets - all of dubious quality. Then I went to the lady who has the wallet / bag / umbrella market stall in the Broadwalk Centre in Edgware and she recommended the most amazing wallet that surpassed all my expectations. I really couldn't have got a better product or service.

I think at the end of the day there are some people who are totally taken in by the presenters and guests' hyperbole and think it must be good if QVC are touting it - I'm just a skeptic by nature and not easily fooled. If you can buy locally or near as darn it, why would you even bother to buy from QVC there are many things which are just so freely available. As has been said if it didn't sell, QVC wouldn't have it on air again, but the companies who are selling, probably have some kind of contract depending on sales, so it must be working both ways. My question is not so much directed at them, but more to the great British public - why would you even bother, I don't get it I'm afraid?

In the early days over here at least QVC did bring some things you couldn't get here, but only for the first 2 or 3 years. As for Nina Leonard this morning, well there's just nothing I would be interested in, and even if I was better items can be found on the proverbial 'high street' (a term I dislike). I agree too that the tops/tshirts which the back panels and the sort of embroidered hemline - you can buy in any store - nothing special and certainly nothing like the cost of the NL ones - sorry to sound like an old meanie but I'm less and less impressed with Q than ever.

I think at the end of the day there are some people who are totally taken in by the presenters and guests' hyperbole and think it must be good if QVC are touting it - I'm just a skeptic by nature and not easily fooled. If you can buy locally or near as darn it, why would you even bother to buy from QVC there are many things which are just so freely available. As has been said if it didn't sell, QVC wouldn't have it on air again, but the companies who are selling, probably have some kind of contract depending on sales, so it must be working both ways. My question is not so much directed at them, but more to the great British public - why would you even bother, I don't get it I'm afraid?

In the early days over here at least QVC did bring some things you couldn't get here, but only for the first 2 or 3 years. As for Nina Leonard this morning, well there's just nothing I would be interested in, and even if I was better items can be found on the proverbial 'high street' (a term I dislike). I agree too that the tops/tshirts which the back panels and the sort of embroidered hemline - you can buy in any store - nothing special and certainly nothing like the cost of the NL ones - sorry to sound like an old meanie but I'm less and less impressed with Q than ever.

The next thing I want to buy is a nice thick duvet. I want it to be synthetic material - no feathers. I'm wondering where the best place would be? I could ask the hotel I stayed in where they get their duvets from, I suppose. I'm hoping I can get one for a really good price, use it for a couple of months while it's still freezing cold, then launder it, out it into one of those vacuum storage bags and keep it for next winter.

I have 2 or 3 duvets, but the one I like best is the one on my bed at the moment which I purchased last spring, put it away for summer and brought it back out for this past October. I can't recall who it's made by but it's a good company and you could buy it online I'm sure. I'll have a look for the original bag and post the name on this thread tomorrow for you - it's very good quality. I'm getting off to bed now though.

I have 2 or 3 duvets, but the one I like best is the one on my bed at the moment which I purchased last spring, put it away for summer and brought it back out for this past October. I can't recall who it's made by but it's a good company and you could buy it online I'm sure. I'll have a look for the original bag and post the name on this thread tomorrow for you - it's very good quality. I'm getting off to bed now though.

That would be fantastic. Thank you so much!

I've had enough of cheap Primark duvets that go all thin and develop holes in them so I get cold spots.

The next thing I want to buy is a nice thick duvet. I want it to be synthetic material - no feathers. I'm wondering where the best place would be? I could ask the hotel I stayed in where they get their duvets from, I suppose. I'm hoping I can get one for a really good price, use it for a couple of months while it's still freezing cold, then launder it, out it into one of those vacuum storage bags and keep it for next winter.

marks and spencer do fab synthetic duvets. when my children were younger thats what i bought them they have down now they are older

Your comment about Bayliss and Harding made me laugh. Some years ago Mike Mason who was on Bid TV at the time was selling this brand. He said "when I stay in 5 star hotels around the world if I am very very lucky they have Bayliss and Harding toiletries in the room". I laughed so much I did myself an injury! How he kept a straight face I will never know. Not knocking the brand, never used it, but they have gift sets for £5 in Superdrug.

I suppose we all have things we have a weakness for and up until recently Q offered brands not on the DHS (and never heard of outside of Q) so making an exact comparison was difficult so if you really liked something you probably thought it was worth a bit extra.

However now that it is 90% beauty and the likes of Radley , Joules, Dyson and Hotel Chocolate (or Thornton’s until recently) you can make direct comparisons, or a fair guess on the especially for Q items, and I really fail to see how they could be better value when postage is factored in.

As I don’t buy the beauty items and accept that the TSVs are good value if you use and want everything it, but I suspect there are lots of “fillers”.

Not everyone will want to sell the extras on eBay/give as gifts so I’m still not 100% sure buying only exactly what you want when on offer is as good a bargain.

Latest posts

Back