More meat revelations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vienna

Registered Shopper
It`s just been on the news that Russell Hume are now being investigated for passing off foreign meat as being British. Naughty naughty. They`ve also taken down all of their signs from their premises and it was being hinted that they may try to rebuild their reputation under another name. Watch this space for QVC selling meat hampers from somewhere named as Shylock Sirloins or some such. A whistle blower said that by selling foreign meat labelled as being British it meant the company was making another 30% profit on top of what they were already making.

It`s just been on the news that Russell Hume are now being investigated for passing off foreign meat as being British. Naughty naughty. They`ve also taken down all of their signs from their premises and it was being hinted that they may try to rebuild their reputation under another name. Watch this space for QVC selling meat hampers from somewhere named as Shylock Sirloins or some such. A whistle blower said that by selling foreign meat labelled as being British it meant the company was making another 30% profit on top of what they were already making.

Glad I am not a meat eater. Not that I would buy food from QVC.

I will never understand why anyone would buy any foodstuff from a shopping channel. I buy my meat from a local butcher or Aldi and occasionally Morrison’s which is where I tend to shop for groceries. Of course this won’t be the only company being dishonest with its customers.

Sounds like a nice meaty story. If they are lying about the provenance of the meat, one has to wonder what else they are lying about.

Julius as a journalist this is a story you should go with. The biggest shopping channel in the UK duped over meat hampers. Or QVC the UK's biggest shopping channel dupes customers. It will be big as how many insisted on buying what has been found out to be sub standard food from QVC over the years they sold Green Seasons

i know i repeat myself a lot but the sausages were 60% meat that was enough for me to know their meat could never be premium. you can go to any high street supermarket and get 90% or more sausages for around £2 qvc were charging £35 for four packs of cheap swags. the writing on the wall was there all the time. let those who have eyes let them see

Blimey that is shocking. What about the logo that denotes British produce - were they putting that on this foreign meat ?

Whatever next ? A revelation that they were using Halal meat ? (I accept that people buy Halal but at least they know that they are, if you see what I mean).

More importantly it was serious hygiene issues that has had the company closed down and the names of their main customers..including QVC...were broadcast on the tv news. It was also mentioned that a
Court summons was likely to follow against Russell Hume.

What kind of research do QVC's buyers do before choosing a supplier of their products? I'd like to think they visit their main site and see how it's all done but I suspect a quick "Google" for some basic business date is it plus what will sell for the most markup.

i think the company was plain greedy. getting big restaurant chains was not enough. selling to qvc was big. they got complacent at the customer expense. i remember ordering those pies. the delivery man just dumped them on the doorstep and ran orf. and the lack of care and expertise was obvious. small with literally a teaspoon of a sauce and 1cm cube of gammon and the same of chicken. proper tat! and don't get me on the prices charged. the hard sell is apparent

Some is asking on the QVC Facebook page again? People saying they thought they were eating British meat and now feel sick with no idea what happened to the meat before it arrived with them. QVC just saying its with the Health people and they are investigating. Others pointing do QVC no bother checking a supplier before going with them?

It would seem that the company are claiming it was an administrative error. Trust them to proffer such a lame and anodyne excuse as that. I remember working on the horsemeat scandal a few years back. I learned a lot about how meat is certified, labelled and controlled right the way through the chain from rearing and slaughter to supply and delivery. Some suppliers of food products were tainting (with horse) meat slush / protein powder used as a bulking agent in predominantly low end products. A change in the law in Romania had seen many horses made redundant as they were essentially banned from serving as transport on public roads / highways. The impoverished Romanian farmers sent the unwanted nags to the knacker's yard, supposedly to be boiled down into glue, and the knackers sold them on to shady people who put them into the human food chain. So you see there's no point in "flogging" a dead horse(in one sense of the word) - unless it seems you're a food products supplier with absolutely no ethics or conscience whatsoever and stand to make a shed load of money! They certainly didn't seem to care that the majority of (non-comestible) Romanian horses were treated with an agent that is highly carcinogenic to humans.

A few years has elapsed since the days of that scandal and I think people have dropped their guard in the possibly misguided belief that it's all OK now. It is really something when the only way of knowing what's in your food is to conduct a DNA analysis.

Some strict vegetarians would no doubt argue that humans that consume the dead flesh of animals are getting what they deserve, but are they? If consumers are misled about the provenance and ingredients of what goes on their plate, surely the responsibilities rest elsewhere in the chain?

It could be argued that you get what you pay for, and to a large extent, I agree with that. But let us not forget that QVC tout the QUALITY of their foods, and usually the ethics and sourcing, too. If there was cheap / inferior / tainted stuff in Q's so-called "premium" offerings (with the premium prices to match) it would be altogether more shocking. I would hazard a guess that the meat in question wasn't presided over by the old Duke of Buccleuch (or however you spell it) but probably by some bloke called Dumitru from a poor part of of a former Eastern bloc country.

It would seem that the company are claiming it was an administrative error. Trust them to proffer such a lame and anodyne excuse as that. I remember working on the horsemeat scandal a few years back. I learned a lot about how meat is certified, labelled and controlled right the way through the chain from rearing and slaughter to supply and delivery. Some suppliers of food products were tainting (with horse) meat slush / protein powder used as a bulking agent in predominantly low end products. A change in the law in Romania had seen many horses made redundant as they were essentially banned from serving as transport on public roads / highways. The impoverished Romanian farmers sent the unwanted nags to the knacker's yard, supposedly to be boiled down into glue, and the knackers sold them on to shady people who put them into the human food chain. So you see there's no point in "flogging" a dead horse(in one sense of the word) - unless it seems you're a food products supplier with absolutely no ethics or conscience whatsoever and stand to make a shed load of money! They certainly didn't seem to care that the majority of (non-comestible) Romanian horses were treated with an agent that is highly carcinogenic to humans.

A few years has elapsed since the days of that scandal and I think people have dropped their guard in the possibly misguided belief that it's all OK now. It is really something when the only way of knowing what's in your food is to conduct a DNA analysis.

Some strict vegetarians would no doubt argue that humans that consume the dead flesh of animals are getting what they deserve, but are they? If consumers are misled about the provenance and ingredients of what goes on their plate, surely the responsibilities rest elsewhere in the chain?

It could be argued that you get what you pay for, and to a large extent, I agree with that. But let us not forget that QVC tout the QUALITY of their foods, and usually the ethics and sourcing, too. If there was cheap / inferior / tainted stuff in Q's so-called "premium" offerings (with the premium prices to match) it would be altogether more shocking. I would hazard a guess that the meat in question wasn't presided over by the old Duke of Buccleuch (or however you spell it) but probably by some bloke called Dumitru from a poor part of of a former Eastern bloc country.

Seems that range was totally genuine, people have said on forums, a small established company in Scotland and the meat certified from the estate.

It was after than QVC decided 'Hello, we have missed a trick here!' , and started up the Green Seasons range which was really Russell Hume. Some sad bin lids(the rose tinted glasses fans who adore everything QVC and presenters do), on the QVC Facebook when the scandal broke kept insisting the meat from QVC was different from the stuff RH where pushing out to the cheaper places like Wheatherspoons.:mysmilie_17: Yes, of course, it was. PMSL

What kind of research do QVC's buyers do before choosing a supplier of their products? I'd like to think they visit their main site and see how it's all done but I suspect a quick "Google" for some basic business date is it plus what will sell for the most markup.

I have no idea if they still do but at one time M&S inspectors used to do spot inspections on their suppliers. A friend's mum and aunt worked at Bassetts in Sheffield and everything had to be up to scratch as it should be.

I just hope QVC lose out on all their future edible products.I am pleased that I have not been tempted by any of their edible offerings.

I have no idea if they still do but at one time M&S inspectors used to do spot inspections on their suppliers. A friend's mum and aunt worked at Bassetts in Sheffield and everything had to be up to scratch as it should be.

I have dealings with a local M&S supplier and their inspectors virtually live at the factory and things are done their way or no way.

If the Q buyers knowledge on any other other products is anything to go by would you let them near meat????

My late father conducted meat inspections as an environmental health inspector (some of his colleagues couldn't face it) and even back in the 50s-80s the standards were rigorously applied. Even after he retired he advised the local Synagogue and Mosque on Kosher and Halal meat and did spot checks for them. I wonder whether local authority budget cuts mean abattoirs and meat packing firms know spot checks are few and far between these days?

Latest posts

Back