More meat revelations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I find it sad that animals are a commodity. The food industry just breed them, slaughter them, get them in, get them out without a moments thought for the welfare of the life they're taking. Same as battery hens, what a sad existence that is for them. I've always bought free range eggs, and free range meat (for the husband, I've never eaten meat) I know it costs more but it's worth it to relieve just a tiny bit of guilt.

I see someone phoned the police because they couldn’t get their KFC - what in God’s name type of people are there in this world. If ever there was a case for compulsory contraception that’s it.

Donna do you think that NI is supplied locally?

That is what I was told when we were talking about it in work. I said the KFC near where I work was open in conversation and told the chicken is from Moypark a local NI company. Now there is a branch over East Belfast which has been fined a few times over the years for bad hygiene, but they open again after a short period. I am or never had been a fan of the KFC, I don't like a chicken with the skin on.

I find it sad that animals are a commodity. The food industry just breed them, slaughter them, get them in, get them out without a moments thought for the welfare of the life they're taking. Same as battery hens, what a sad existence that is for them. I've always bought free range eggs, and free range meat (for the husband, I've never eaten meat) I know it costs more but it's worth it to relieve just a tiny bit of guilt.

You need to be very careful with the term Free Range, especially with eggs. It can just mean they are not in cages but in giant barns/sheds which they still only have like 12" to move as so many in the shed. Free Range Organic is what I look for that means they are free to roam outside.

I used to work for loss adjusters back in the late 80s, we used to get loads of claims in from farmers over dead chickens. They were kept in giant barns/sheds and easily frightened if the doors opened suddenly, so all rushed to the other end and this caused many of the chicken deaths. The loss adjusters used to joke someone shouted KFC and the chickens committed suicide. There were hundreds of chickens in each barn/shed.

That is what I was told when we were talking about it in work. I said the KFC near where I work was open in conversation and told the chicken is from Moypark a local NI company. Now there is a branch over East Belfast which has been fined a few times over the years for bad hygiene, but they open again after a short period. I am or never had been a fan of the KFC, I don't like a chicken with the skin on.

Chicken processors just down the road from me. See the workers going to and from work (walking) and got to say my heart doesn’t lie to anything they would handle unless they are extra well protected.

Years ago I was driving at about 50mph down a country lane in Sussex and I killed a chicken that had escaped from a local farm. I arrived at work upset and when I told people, they made fun of me because it was "only a chicken," but I was really upset that I'd killed it. I certainly never meant to.

Waving from Sussex :hi: I get upset when I hit a seagull, so I can understand the chicken episode would be unsettling.

Waving from Sussex :hi: I get upset when I hit a seagull, so I can understand the chicken episode would be unsettling.

Yes it was. I didn't mean to harm the chicken, and just the fact that I'd killed a creature was really upsetting. For ages my colleagues would make chicken noises as a joke. I didn't find it funny. I once accidentally minced a seagull in the plane on my approach to Palanga airport. Just as well I don't fly jets. Birds don't fare well against propeller planes, however bird striked can still be dangerous. What struck me was how similar to human blood the blood looked. I don't know what I would have expected it to look like, but it was horrid.

Years ago I was driving at about 50mph down a country lane in Sussex and I killed a chicken that had escaped from a local farm. I arrived at work upset and when I told people, they made fun of me because it was "only a chicken," but I was really upset that I'd killed it. I certainly never meant to.

This from someone who hates pigeons (flying rats), foxes and thinks Basso is "a nice man" :mysmilie_17: I detect a bit of a pee take from you but if I'm wrong then well done Julius, showing some compassion there, I like it. :mysmilie_3:

This from someone who hates pigeons (flying rats), foxes and thinks Basso is "a nice man" :mysmilie_17: I detect a bit of a pee take from you but if I'm wrong then well done Julius, showing some compassion there, I like it. :mysmilie_3:

I was truly upset - on the verge of tears - I kid you not. I hadn't meant to kill the chicken or the seagull. I might have felt a little less upset were it a pigeon, but not much. It's still a creature. I wouldn't care in the least about killing insects like flies and mosquitoes, but I quite like birds. I don't like the foxes mainly because of the racket they make on the lawn outside my block of flats. Birds are amazing creatures. I love watching them fly and always admire how graceful and agile they are. Pilots, even aerobatic ones, couldn't dream of coming anywhere close.

Latest posts

Back