Another "LOL" moment!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Debbie Flint just started waxing lyrical about social media and asked the Revitalash guest if she was on social media, to which the guest replied: "I'm not, no!" Deb Flint looked so crestfallen and slightly embarrassed. The brief moment of awkwardness was exquisite.
I quite liked the way the guest made no apology for not being on social media. She had nothing to apologise for.

I can imagine the last thing she would want would be hundred of people twittering about their eyebrows and a product that does not work!

There is a few articles beginning to appear about quitting social media and doing real stuff instead, also more about how it can be bad for your mental health. It can be a force for good in some instances, but not at the expense of living in the real world interacting with real family and friends.

Debbie is not alone among QVC presenters with being obsessed with social media, but to be fair, she does go out and do real stuff... And it doesn't sound like she tried to bully the guest, which some of her colleagues have tried to do to guests on air...

I read an article somewhere about people who use social media as their main method of talking to friends have forgotten how to communicate in the real world. Unable to complete proper sentences, use a wide vocabulary or carry on an in-depth conversation.

Seems accurate to me, such a shame that our beautiful language isn’t used to its best advantage.

Nothing annoys me more than so-called "net speak" and poor grammar. QVC is full of it and even a rep from the Government on the radio this morning. Some people are definitely losing the ability to string words together properly. One example I saw recently - a young guy was trying to tell us that he found something scary but what he actually said was "You are doing me a frighten." Seriously?

Isn't it all just pathetic. I don't subscribe to any social media, but I can see how it helps families to communicate if they are living on the other side of the world for example.

Photographs are constantly being taken, but for whom ? I loathe having a phone shoved in front of me to view the snaps of others, then the image turns 30 deg, or it disappears completely. I tend to switch off then. Instead I love having photographs in my hand to look at or display in a frame, not a gadget to view them from.

Isn't it all just pathetic. I don't subscribe to any social media, but I can see how it helps families to communicate if they are living on the other side of the world for example.

Photographs are constantly being taken, but for whom ? I loathe having a phone shoved in front of me to view the snaps of others, then the image turns 30 deg, or it disappears completely. I tend to switch off then. Instead I love having photographs in my hand to look at or display in a frame, not a gadget to view them from.

I love my smartphone however I don't take calls in public and I don't subscribe to any social media. I have my email set up in such a way that I have to click on it as I don't like having things just randomly pinging through. I have my Countdown app (the words and numbers game) and my backgammon app plus a French radio app - and that's all.

One of the good things about taking the so-called "tube" in London is that one can read the Metro. I receive hard copies of every daily national newspaper anyway - it comes with the job. Each morning I get 90 minutes to read them all. I then look at the newswires and respective sites and start planning my day. We have an internal social network at work and I'm not even on that. I got sick of receiving "friend" requests from people I don't know.

Every form of communication has its good and bad points. I don't think a tweet will ever match a full feature article.

I am sticking to my avoidance of social media even though I have lost contact with some people as it is the only way they communicate.I don’t own a smart phone but have an ancient mobile for ‘emergencies’ only.I have just bought an iPad as my old computer had given up as I frequently use the internet & email.Luckily I now live in an area where I can walk down the street without dodging the smart phone brigade!When I see a group out together & they are all staring into screens/texting or even worse talking to someone else on the phone I despair.

Latest posts

Back