QVC's worst scandal

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
We all know how QVC plays up to a squeaky clean, aspirational image, yet the slick production oft belies the truth...

So what do you think has been the worst QVC "scandal" of all time? What really got them going? Was it Green Seasons? Was it l'Occitane destroying animal habitats and testing on animals? Maybe it's them giving Mr Basso airtime?

When and how did QVC really let themselves down in a way that went "beyond the pale?"

Ah yes, Crowngate! How could I forget such a torrid tale featuring two of Q's worst ever pantomime villains! Wonder what became of the crown? Perhaps they could reformat the Morning Show and have that lot on there. They could call it: "Loose Morals."

Debbie "hard sell" Flint entering a competition on behalf of her friend Sharon when she knows darn well that employees and their friends and family are prohibited from entering. Oh yes Ms Flint won by the way but had to forfeit when there was an outcry, QVC wasn't bothered till then that she broke both the rules and was morally corrupt meaning the charity missed out, it was only when people found out they had to commence damage control. The second Ms Flint faux pas was a couple of years back, telling flood victims (who lost everything) to buy some shape wear knickers, because it would make them feel better..........true story.

Debbie "hard sell" Flint entering a competition on behalf of her friend Sharon when she knows darn well that employees and their friends and family are prohibited from entering. Oh yes Ms Flint won by the way and had to forfeit when there was an outcry, QVC wasn't bothered till then that she broke both the rules and was morally corrupt meaning the charity missed out, it was only when people found out they had to damage control. The second Ms Flint faux pas was a couple of years back, telling flood victims (who lost everything) to buy some shape wear knickers, because it would make them feel better..........true story.

She told flood victims to buy knickers? ! Really?!!! That's astonishing, albeit not entirely unsurprising.

She told flood victims to buy knickers? ! Really?!!! That's astonishing, albeit not entirely unsurprising.

Yes, not surprising though because we all feel a bit conscious of those extra pounds in times of worry, and why would they want to spend £45 on food when you can buy a pair a shape wear under crackers, I mean, who needs to eat anyway?

What about the reports of customers being sent out bloodstained earrings, worn clothing and other used items?

Steve Whatley and the Princess Diana ring

I can't say I remember that one? I do vaguely remember Steve Whatley. He was rather orange and flamboyant, as I recall it. I'm sure he used to bring his dogs in with him.

It depends how you define scandal, doesn't it?

The shenanigans on the BCC evenings is particularly distasteful.
The p&p which defies logic.
The used items sent out without checking they are clean and not broken.
The continual and shameless promotion of side gig business ventures by several presenters.
The poor website.
The lack of product-relevant information delivered on air.
The annual Green Seasons fiasco.

That's just off the top of my head!

I think one of QVCs biggest scandals is something they do every single day, they charge you p&p when an item is coming directly despatched from a company who charge free p&p so QVC take and average ££5/£6 for absolutely nothing. Take Lakeland for instance, over a certain price they deliver free like that Remoska they do, QVC are charging (£165) plus £6.95 delivery for the two litre model, than Lakelands four litre (£169) free delivery, ok with QVC you get the ten pound cookbook, but whenever added together there's very little difference in price for double the size in Lakeland. QVC perform scandals every, single, day.

Crown th1D6ZBJX5.jpg

The questionable quality of the GS meat they were selling in the light of this recent FSA authority is pretty high up there! However the only time I felt moved to write a complaint was when I heard DF and the woman whose name I forget but she knows diamonds and does diamonique shows, and they were selling a diamonique angel's wing. They had the sheer nerve to say we could get it to help us with the emotional distress caused by the Paris terrorist attacks!I was disgusted. I think this was just the next day!!! Talk about using anything to sell....

The questionable quality of the GS meat they were selling in the light of this recent FSA authority is pretty high up there! However the only time I felt moved to write a complaint was when I heard DF and the woman whose name I forget but she knows diamonds and does diamonique shows, and they were selling a diamonique angel's wing. They had the sheer nerve to say we could get it to help us with the emotional distress caused by the Paris terrorist attacks!I was disgusted. I think this was just the next day!!! Talk about using anything to sell....

Totally agree on that. Alison something, the guest?
I think it is about as low as you can get with sales tactics when you try to take advantage of grief and tragedy. Shameful behaviour. They are nobody's best friends and more like vultures or sharks circling around the stricken before moving in for the kill and the feast. Apologies to the vultures and sharks who actually do it for survival not a mere sale.

Totally agree on that. Alison something, the guest?
I think it is about as low as you can get with sales tactics when you try to take advantage of grief and tragedy. Shameful behaviour. They are nobody's best friends and more like vultures or sharks circling around the stricken before moving in for theBillyh and the feast. Apologies to the vultures and sharks who actually do it for survival not a mere sale.

I get what you mean, May, however I guess the presenters are doing certain things for survival. Woe betide anyone who doesn't bring the numbers in.
It's quite revealing, the desperate banshee screeching and turns of phrase like: "I need you on those 'phones right now" etc.

I get what you mean, May, however I guess the presenters are doing certain things for survival. Woe betide anyone who doesn't bring the numbers in.
It's quite revealing, the desperate banshee screeching and turns of phrase like: "I need you on those 'phones right now" etc.

I just keep thinking back to when I enjoyed watching QVC. When I could laugh and be entertained by what was going on on screen. It's a total turn-off when people hard-sell all the time. Before there was more variation in presenting styles; now it's all one note: a hard and shrill note.

I agree with all the things listed so far.
Add to that the constant statement on air that you can USE things for 30 days then return if not happy with it without adding that if you use a bit more than they feel is fit you will get it sent back to you or if you send too many returns ( in their opinion) including faulty goods in the number you will be banned.

Latest posts

Back