Item developed fault. Deal with IW or manufacturer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Retrovertigo

Registered Shopper
My Optigrill has developed a fault and I'm not sure whether to contact Idealworld or Tefal.

It's around 3 months old and there is a startling lack of information on warranty repairs on the IW website. IN fact I can't find anything at all unless it is related to some extra insurance thing that they do.

Loathe to phone Idealworld as the call charges are a joke.

Any ideas? Sent them messages on Twitter and Facebook, but of course have had no reply. Cheers

Your contract is with IW so if it's failed so soon they should deal with it.

But I never buy from them because of their CS call charges and ignoring of emails.

But there is no harm in contacting Tefal, but that is what they will probably tell you.

I decided to give Tefal a quick ring and see what they said. They are happy to collect it from me. But they take it to a repair centre to determine whether it is an easy fix or needs replacing.

I called the only number IW list that is a local charge number (and listed as being for returns) and it is a ****** automated line asking you to leave details and they aim to get back to you within 24 hours.....what nonsense!

I thought companies had to offer alternatives to expensive call charges these days?

I reckon Tefal will be the less stressful way to go. The guy did say to give IW a chance in case they offered a straight up replacement.

I decided to give Tefal a quick ring and see what they said. They are happy to collect it from me. But they take it to a repair centre to determine whether it is an easy fix or needs replacing.

I called the only number IW list that is a local charge number (and listed as being for returns) and it is a ****** automated line asking you to leave details and they aim to get back to you within 24 hours.....what nonsense!

I thought companies had to offer alternatives to expensive call charges these days?

I reckon Tefal will be the less stressful way to go. The guy did say to give IW a chance in case they offered a straight up replacement.

Try the Ideal World returns service first; they're also heavily plugging the "To You" returns service so if you have a nearby ASDA you could try sending it back using that. I would use Tefal direct only if the IW route fails.

Well, what can only be described as a minor miracle happened. The Facebook team actually replied to a message I sent. Firstly they offered to have it collected from Asda, but there isn't one near me.

So, they offered to collect it and ....shock, horror.....offered me a replacement or my money back!!

They are collecting it today. There is a caveat however, and why I'm not super excited. They told me to allow 10 days for my faulty one to get back to them.

Them being cautious, or them having NO faith in Hermes whatsoever. Because let's face it, if it is collected today, it should be back with them tomorrow.

So not sure how long it will take for a replacement to get her, and I'll miss it in the meantime as it really is a very nice piece of kit and cooks everything perfectly for my tastes.

Time will tell.

p.s thanks for the link to that website stratobuddy. I didn't see it until after they had got back to me. Still disgusted that they expect you to pay 13 pence a minute to try and exchange something that is faulty. They bang on about cheap prices, but imagine all those 13 pences adding up. That is some serious extra cash.

A few years back my Tefal Actifry developed a fault after six months, so I emailed Ideal World and they arranged to pick it up, they always say they check them but they never do, I requested a refund because they'd sold out, sure enough the refund was back in my account ten days later, hope this helps.

Well, what can only be described as a minor miracle happened. The Facebook team actually replied to a message I sent. Firstly they offered to have it collected from Asda, but there isn't one near me.

So, they offered to collect it and ....shock, horror.....offered me a replacement or my money back!!

They are collecting it today. There is a caveat however, and why I'm not super excited. They told me to allow 10 days for my faulty one to get back to them.

Them being cautious, or them having NO faith in Hermes whatsoever. Because let's face it, if it is collected today, it should be back with them tomorrow.

So not sure how long it will take for a replacement to get her, and I'll miss it in the meantime as it really is a very nice piece of kit and cooks everything perfectly for my tastes.

Time will tell.

p.s thanks for the link to that website stratobuddy. I didn't see it until after they had got back to me. Still disgusted that they expect you to pay 13 pence a minute to try and exchange something that is faulty. They bang on about cheap prices, but imagine all those 13 pences adding up. That is some serious extra cash.

Sorry I replied without reading the full thread, don't know why you're so shocked, Ideal World has really upped its game customer service wise, I always get a reply after I've emailed them normally the next day or before, but I'm glad it's sorted for you.

IW have what appears to be a standard response on Trustpilot when customers have cause to complain....

'Many Thanks for your comments and I am sorry to see that you are unhappy with the service you have received. Please can I ask that you send us an inbox message on Social Media at the following sites:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/idealworldtv

Twitter – www.twitter.com/idealworldtv

Or

By Emailing us at [email protected]

Please quote your name, full postal address, order number and details of your complaint and we will do all we can to assist.

Kind Regards,IW.'

So no voice numbers but a range of online options to contact them.

IW have what appears to be a standard response on Trustpilot when customers have cause to complain....

'Many Thanks for your comments and I am sorry to see that you are unhappy with the service you have received. Please can I ask that you send us an inbox message on Social Media at the following sites:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/idealworldtv

Twitter – www.twitter.com/idealworldtv

Or

By Emailing us at [email protected]

Please quote your name, full postal address, order number and details of your complaint and we will do all we can to assist.

Kind Regards,IW.'

So no voice numbers but a range of online options to contact them.

I think it more a case of, we've got your money in the till - now bu**er off! :mysmilie_59:

I don't buy much from IW but, when I have, I've had no issues as the items arrive well within the 3-5 working days. When I returned an item last year I emailed them because I'd forgotten to pick up the tracking number in Asda. They replied within 24 hours and gave me the relevant number.

Last week I returned something that wasn't suitable. The full refund was in my account within a week, which is faster than a return from QVC. I've never phoned IW and I always order online and go through TCB which gives me a further discount.

Good to know they deal with things relatively quickly. Just seems odd that there is nothing mentioned under "my account" to show I have returned something. Surely the courier had that back the next day and it would have been scanned in as being received?

Good to know they deal with things relatively quickly. Just seems odd that there is nothing mentioned under "my account" to show I have returned something. Surely the courier had that back the next day and it would have been scanned in as being received?

It only shows up when you get your refund refunded, I always email them with the tracking/courier number, they email me back telling me the status of my return. Over the years they've not got my return twice, but I've still had my refund, none of this QVC bollocks were they send you out a form to sign and you have to pay for the stamp yourself to return the declaration, no with Ideal World, if you have your proof of return that's, how it should be, good enough for them.

I bought one of those Crystal Clear Wands. After a couple of weeks it has stopped working, I emailed customer service yesterday morning explaining what the matter was and that I had thrown the packing away. Received an email more or less straight away saying they will be in touch, 2 hours later another email apologising and telling me a replacement had been authorised and would be with me in 3-5 days. They said to pack the wand and just give a brief outline of the problem and take it to local Asda, free of charge to send back.

This morning received an email to say the replacement had been shipped, cannot ask for more than that. I've not even packed the broken yet.

Yeah it turned up at the weekend (well Friday actually) But I had to chase it up. I contacted the Facebook team again and had to send a picture of my returns invoice and suddenly it was all processed. No idea how long I would have had to wait otherwise!

Look!

The latest raft of reviews on Trust Pilot are in the most part terrible but hilarious. People are now even slagging off the Goons!

For balance they have received 1 good review though, and their Trust Score has improved. It’s now 1 out of 10.

I think one of the reviews must be about Hayley a.k.a. Jimmy Savile/Paul Calf/Baby Jane :mysmilie_19:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.idealworld.tv

Latest posts

Back